Coho on Sandy

W
westfork
Hey guys,
I think I'm going to try Sandy out next weekend. I just moved up to the area this summer. Would anyone be willing to tell me a good spot or two on the river for coho? I've been fishing a couple times up here (smallmouth) and haven't even had a nibble so I need some action. I'm thinking about using a bluefox and 8lb line...

T
Troutier Bassier
Go to Cedar Creek. Up there its Combat Fishing and Flossing butt there is fish there and they do Bite sometimes.

B
bir48die
Saw a few caught at Oxbow on Saturday.

Y
youngbuck307
i know when we get some more rain dodge park should pic up too....

A
autofisher
westfork said:
Hey guys,
I think I'm going to try Sandy out next weekend. I just moved up to the area this summer. Would anyone be willing to tell me a good spot or two on the river for coho? I've been fishing a couple times up here (smallmouth) and haven't even had a nibble so I need some action. I'm thinking about using a bluefox and 8lb line...

Depending on where you head out, you're gonna want to use a heavier line. 8lb would be fine if you're there by yourself and no one's around. Then you could take your time and get the fish in. If there's a crowd, you're gonna need something heavier. When you're in a large group of people, the expect a certain amount of horsing to get the fish in quicker. Ultimately, it's your call. There should be a decent amount of fish with the coming rain. If you're gonna use the **** Fox, try a #3 or #4.

Y
youngbuck307
ummm would say stick with the 8lb if your going to fish Eagle creek.. the fish get so scared i know of people going to 6lb... but he is somewhat right... if it was me I kinda tell people to mind there own... just try to make the fish run away from everone at first then play him out away from everyone if you can... some times it takes that lighter line to hook fish. You have to hook them befor you can land them.

F
FishSchooler
youngbuck307 said:
You have to hook them befor you can land them.

Amen! ;)

F
fisch
Coho are in Sandy thick already. Find a place (there are plenty of them) and watch what others do. This is what I got this morning in less than an hour. The best day fishing in Oregon for me EVA. 2 hens and 13lb buck. What a blast!
lim.jpg

Reactions: Fishydog
Y
youngbuck307
already planed on hitting it tomorrow nice and early.... anyone want some company let me know...

H
here2fish
nice fish fisch! hardware or eggs?

youngbuck, should be really good tomorrow morning. I just got back from an evening fish. Tons of jacks in there knocked a bunch of those but no adults. I did see a bunch starting to move through though.

Last edited:
F
fisch
Spinners. I outfished egg fisherman by far today. On the otherhand I'm still learning so I wouldn't listen to me much. I just love an angry COHO slamming my spinner. That feeling beats bobber down by far for me. Plus the fight is cleaner because you just have a fish at the end of the line.

L
Lovefishing
How do you get to the Sandy River you guys are talking about and is it a good spot to fish with bobber and eggs?

F
Fishtopher
Nice fish fisch!:clap:

M
Mike123
fisch said:
Spinners. I outfished egg fisherman by far today. On the otherhand I'm still learning so I wouldn't listen to me much. I just love an angry COHO slamming my spinner. That feeling beats bobber down by far for me. Plus the fight is cleaner because you just have a fish at the end of the line.

So what size and color worked that day for ya?

M
metalfisher76
Lovefishing said:
How do you get to the Sandy River you guys are talking about and is it a good spot to fish with bobber and eggs?

I 84 east to Lewis & Clark exit in Troutdale. Yes the holes are good bobber water.

L
Lovefishing
Thanks Metalfisher, I want to take my daughter there this weekend. Is there any particular place to go?

M
metalfisher76
Lovefishing said:
Thanks Metalfisher, I want to take my daughter there this weekend. Is there any particular place to go?

OOOOO, I would stop as soon as you hit the scenic hwy. under the troutdale bridge. Then head on up to dabney state pk. looking all the way, you`ll see what your looking for between these 2 spots (as far as type of water you want to fish). You can keep going all the way to dodge park if ya like via the hwy. Or you can go straight to Sandy and head down Ten Eyck rd. and either stop at the hatchery on cedar cr. or keep going to dodge. Have fun!!

L
Lovefishing
Thanks, Maybe my Daughter and I will catch our first Salmon together.:D