Coho Limits!

F

Fishtopher

Six fish limits for the tribs up north, below the Dam! can't wait to see what Oregon decides on!

COHO MADNESS!!!

Any guesses for Sandy and Clack limits??

Ill go first, and say 5 in the beginning, with it being upped to 6 later in the season.

can't imagine packing 5 or 6 fish up outta Ceder Creek...time to get in shape!

T

Troutier Bassier

YES!!

That is Awesome!!!

I need to buy Corkies, Gamakatsus, Toothpicks, Yarn, Pencil Lead, Spinners, Spoons, Kastmasters?, Crankbaits. 15Lb and 8Lb line.

Last edited:
O

osmosis

It's supposed to start at 3 fish down here, and if the gillnetters extrememly excessive season doesn't entirely ruin this years run then it will work its way up to 6 fish if we have the run to sustain it..
3 adults and 5 jacks will be hard enough to pack up the trails.

F

FishSchooler

YES!!

That is Awesome!!!

I need to buy Corkies, Gamakatsus, Toothpicks, Yarn, Pencil Lead, Spinners, Spoons, Kastmasters?, Crankbaits. 15Lb and 8Lb line.

NO! You need to not waste money and build your own spinners...
Focus on school and you won't get grounded.
Focus on what you need... Not what everyone else has.
I bet you have 10x more fishing equipment than I do, but I still managed to hook 2 coho in the late season.
Is the water you're fishing spinner/spoon water, drift water, or plug water?
What if you waste all this money, and catch nothing?
If you think I'm telling you what to do and bossing you around, go ahead. But Im trying to help you.

M

Mike123

I dont see a need for more than a 3 fish limit...
You seriously gonna eat 6 salmon a day?

:rolleyes:

F

Fishtopher

No, and seriously I dont eat 1 salmon a day. But why not eat coho a few times a month for a year, rather than a few times a year.
Were not talking about native fish here, but an over abundance of hatchery fish, that would otherwise go to waste, or even worse, spawn with the native population in the rivers they are returning to.

M

Mike123

No, and seriously I dont eat 1 salmon a day. But why not eat coho a few times a month for a year, rather than a few times a year.
Were not talking about native fish here, but an over abundance of hatchery fish, that would otherwise go to waste, or even worse, spawn with the native population in the rivers they are returning to.

It's not that, but if you have BIG limits that's that less of fish for others to catch.
Put it this way.. you and 3 other guys are fishing one hole.. There are 20 fish in the hole.. two guys get thier limits before you get there. You get what Im sayin... If the limits are only three, I think it would be easier to catch a fish.
They aren't gonna go to waste...

O

osmosis

surplus hatchery fish up here get turned into fertilizer or taken and given to the criminals in the penitentary. I call both of those a waste of salmon.
If I take them home, I can them all and every one of my friends and I are eating coho year round.

bigger limits is more incentive to not sleep in, if you are afraid of the holes getting emptied out. haha.
If the nets dont wipe this run out, it will be like 2 years ago when we had about 600 fish per hole.

K

Kodiak

Banned User
It's not that, but if you have BIG limits that's that less of fish for others to catch.
Put it this way.. you and 3 other guys are fishing one hole.. There are 20 fish in the hole.. two guys get thier limits before you get there. You get what Im sayin... If the limits are only three, I think it would be easier to catch a fish.
They aren't gonna go to waste...

Coho move up the river pretty fast...it's different than you or I fishing at Waterloo or foster. These fish get a move on and with the numbers coming back its a non issue, provided the gill nets get the heck out of the river....now go to the gill netseason thread and send emails so we can actually worry about 6 fish limits.

T

tnffishman

I actually like the two fish limit because it gives more people a chance to fish a hole, like at bonnie lure. A guy will catch his fish, leave and a spot opens. With a possible six fish limit you would have to get there very early to get a spot. I hope that this years run is as good as it's supposed to be, but I don't want to have to carry 6 fish out of the canyon by the hatchery on EC:lol:

O

osmosis

just cause it's a huge limit doesn't mean you HAVE to limit everyday, especially when the hell walk up at the hatchery is involved!

F

FishSchooler

Theres a reason you have parents if there are 6 fish limits... :whistle: :lol: Jkjk

F

FreshMoneyFisher

Coho in lower Willamette?

Coho in lower Willamette?

Theres a reason you have parents if there are 6 fish limits... :whistle: :lol: Jkjk

Hello dudes...

I recently purchased a little boat and would love to land some coho from it. I've read it's difficult to get them to bite in the willamette, but when would be a good time to target them in the lower river, say around the dowtown PDX or surrounding water? I think it would be a good adventure either way.

I'm guessing mid August to mid September as I know they stack up pretty heavy on EC in september and october.

Also what would you guys recommend for gear? Trolling plugs/spinners. Anchor and backbounce plugs/bait/spin n glow?

Thanks for any input...

M

Mad dog

Coho limits??? Nothing wrong with a little C&R :clap: You just gotta love those big wild ones!
steelhead026.jpg
steelhead022.jpg
steelhead013.jpg
steelhead015.jpg

S

steelhead1

I didn't realize there was a run of coho on the s santiam,kodiak!Hatchery fish?