Coho in willie, esp at the Yamhill river

W
wormosa
anybody know if they are up there yet?

M
metalmania
From what I heard there's lots of rollers and no biters.

W
wormosa
cool bro thanks for the info. i just wanted to know if they are there so i do not waste my time going there.... i will try now. !

O
Outdoor_Myers
Hey wormosa! I had one eat my bobber today at dayton tons of fish rolling and jumping but absolutly no luck. Two elderly guys showed up as soon as they put their boat in the coho only rolled maybe once or twice in the next hour... I was thinking fly rod!

J
JeannaJigs
we had some success up around there last weekend (3 murdered), but the water's warmed up considerably and I hear that the bite has slowed to nada.

M
Mike123
Just returned from there.. considerably less fish than last weekend! Just a very small amount of rollers. Witnessed one caught out of about 20 some boats.. Water has dropped about a foot since last weekend and warmed a few degrees. Need cold weather and some rain. The warm water species were biting like crazy though! lol.

W
wormosa
thanks for the info you guys... i am thinking i might try it on sunday...is there allot of boats?

W
wormosa
Outdoor_Myers said:
Hey wormosa! I had one eat my bobber today at dayton tons of fish rolling and jumping but absolutly no luck. Two elderly guys showed up as soon as they put their boat in the coho only rolled maybe once or twice in the next hour... I was thinking fly rod!
damn bro you need to catch a salmon....last year there were rollers every where here in lafayette, maybe i should try below the bridge

W
wormosa
what is retention there this year?

B
beaverfan
3 clipped or unclipped a day.

W
wormosa
beaverfan said:
3 clipped or unclipped a day.

thanks for the info bro, i thought so, just wanted to make sure

W
wormosa
hey what are they throwing at the coho's for lures? blue fox, warts?

M
Mike123
wormosa said:
hey what are they throwing at the coho's for lures? blue fox, warts?

Both. Got 'em trolling warts and casting spinners. Seen some other interesting set ups.. lol.

It's really funny how everyone thinks they have to troll to catch fish. Find where they are stacked up and cast at them, that is also a good method along with trolling. I almost busted out some eggs on them, but didn't want to waste them.

Last edited:
W
wormosa
Mike123 said:
Both. Got 'em trolling warts and casting spinners. Seen some other interesting set ups.. lol.

It's really funny how everyone thinks they have to troll to catch fish. Find where they are stacked up and cast at them, that is also a good method along with trolling. I almost busted out some eggs on them, but didn't want to waste them.

any certain colors mike?

B
Bullitt
I think you see a lot of "interesting" methods because folks are trying to figure out this fishery, at least on the mid-willamette. It's only been the last couple of years that the numbers have garnered some attention. I have fished this area for a few years and have yet to see any kind of a bite or a consistent method that works. I could see cooler weather and water temps contributing to a better bite but it is the Willamette in October. I'll admit that I only hit this area when there is nothing else going on and it's close to home. I've heard reports of decent catching this year but I have not had the chance to get out there.

W
wormosa
well today i saw 2 whole fish caught there lol...and i was not one of them....maybe 15 boats on the water, not allot.

M
Mike123
wormosa said:
well today i saw 2 whole fish caught there lol...and i was not one of them....maybe 15 boats on the water, not allot.

Oh man.. I wish there were more biters in there. I think water temp is playing a big role in the bite.
In two trips I've seen two fish caught. Out of like 20-some boats. Not very good odds at all.

As for colors, I'm sure water temp plays it's part in that too. I got mine on metallic purple and Jeanna got hers and just plain pink. Spinner was a black body with chartreuse tipped blade. That spinner is a very good salmon spinner period. Works everywhere.