Coho fishing spots on Sandy

G
GarrettNW
I just moved to Troutdale and heard that the Coho are soon to be running in the Sandy. Where are the best spots? When do they start running? Any advice would be useful. Thank you.

M
Mike123
They're just starting to come in.. I would go for a drive from the mouth all the way to the hatchery and look at all the spots.

E
eggs
they are up to CC already jsut not in huge numbers but they are there

T
The Brown Kid Dora
im pretty sure a consistency of rain will push fish up to CC in good numbers. but for now the mouth of the sandy and oxbow should be doing pretty decent right now. plus the chance at late summers and tules at oxbow should even the odds a bit more.

G
GarrettNW
Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I will find the spot. and be able to land myself a beautiful coho soon.

B
beaverfan
The Brown Kid Dora said:
im pretty sure a consistency of rain will push fish up to CC in good numbers. but for now the mouth of the sandy and oxbow should be doing pretty decent right now. plus the chance at late summers and tules at oxbow should even the odds a bit more.

Remember the flows on the Sandy are more temperature driven than driven by rain. If it's warm and rainy in the mountains the flows will be high, if it's cold and snowy on the mountain flows will be low. A huge rainstorm does have an impact on the Sandy just not nearly as much as say the Clackamas. That said there are already Coho spread out throughout the system. From what I understand they pretty much haul tail from the mouth all the way up to CC so that's probably going to be the best bet.

F
FISHERNELSON
I live in Troutdale as well, and grew up in Sandy. I was never big into fishing as a kid but My dad is always going and I just got the hook I have been Trout fishing almost every day the last 5 weeks. Infact today I am going with him to "garbage hole" for my first salmon fishing trip. I imagne that under the Troutdale birdge at Glenn Otto would be nice, its kinda deep and not that wide of a channel and close to the mouth?? Just a guess

D
Dbaum
Hello, I was just on the river today and saw a few Coho moving up at Oxbow...I have fished on the Sandy for years other than when I was away in the Air Force...I just returned four years ago and just recently got back into Salmon and Steelhead fishing...I have been very un-lucky since I got back into it though. I use to slam 'em when I was younger but have been having problems recently. I live in Pleasant Home just a couple of minutes from Oxbow Park and am down there quite a bit. If I see anything working I will let you know. I did see one on the bank today but that's all. DB.

C
cchinook
sandy

sandy

the coho run has NOT even started yet -- Oxbow Park - #4 spinners - my smoker will be filled , my freezers will be filled , but not from C.C. --

B
bigdog
cchinook said:
the coho run has NOT even started yet -- Oxbow Park - #4 spinners - my smoker will be filled , my freezers will be filled , but not from C.C. --

Sorry have to beg the differ here on this one, they may not be stacked 100+ in each hole but the run has started there are fish through out the whole sandy river. This is just the start and give it a couple weeks there is a LOT more fish to come.

T
The Brown Kid Dora
Ohh hell ya i was at CC just this last weekend. I hooked 8 my buddy hooked 6! a couple guys next to me were flossing the **** out of them. i thought i seen them hook 20 + atleast. there are fish up there now! trust me! i landed a couple but they were snagged....i had lost 1 i knew was in the mouth which sucked...but these guys were just hookin the crap out of them and i observed what they were doing and it dawned on me how bad they were flossin them. so they showed me and well i figured can't beat em join em....sure enough fish on...fish on....but they were snagged...it was stupid how much these fish had lock jaw. oh and a little asian dude got his reel stolen and he pulled out a gun on everyone...no big deal haha.....if it rains a little im going back up to CC this weekend. If it rains a lot im going to hit up the ALSEA!!! ohhh ya!

M
mgdguy
wow....:doh:

F
fishingfreak
The Brown Kid Dora said:
Ohh hell ya i was at CC just this last weekend. I hooked 8 my buddy hooked 6! a couple guys next to me were flossing the **** out of them. i thought i seen them hook 20 + atleast. there are fish up there now! trust me! i landed a couple but they were snagged....i had lost 1 i knew was in the mouth which sucked...but these guys were just hookin the crap out of them and i observed what they were doing and it dawned on me how bad they were flossin them. so they showed me and well i figured can't beat em join em....sure enough fish on...fish on....but they were snagged...it was stupid how much these fish had lock jaw. oh and a little asian dude got his reel stolen and he pulled out a gun on everyone...no big deal haha.....if it rains a little im going back up to CC this weekend. If it rains a lot im going to hit up the ALSEA!!! ohhh ya!

It was Getting a little out of hand when I left on Sunday. People yelling at each other getting ready to fight. I will never go back there on a weekend again. Dan88 and I was talking to a little Asian guy with a fancy setup. Hope it wasn't him he was a pretty nice guy. People setting 8' leaders so hard there poles would wrap around there heads and they would foul hook em everytime. We just started wading downstream and relaxed.lol

FF

B
Beastfisherman
Hey Off !
Long time reader, first time threader. Ive been hearing CC and garbage hole a lot. What/where is exactly is CC & garbage hole ?

cheers!

M
Mike123
I can't stand people who call themselves "fishermen" and the only type of "fishing" they know how to do is line/floss/snag with corky and yarn.. I see so much of it going on. People claiming the fish bit just cause it's hooked in the "face." If your gonna snag/floss/line then just admit it that your a flosser. lol.. dont try to sugar coat it.

W
waco
The Brown Kid Dora said:

whenever i see people flossing & snagging i dont join them all i do is calling ODFW. How people can enjoy getting a fish snagging it, thats not fishing!!!! and what seems unbelieveble is , some people think are so good fisherman they are good snaggers!!!!

W
waco
Beastfisherman said:
Hey Off !
Long time reader, first time threader. Ive been hearing CC and garbage hole a lot. What/where is exactly is CC & garbage hole ?

cheers!
cedar creek!!!

B
Beastfisherman
thx.

kirkster
kirkster
Beastfisherman said:
Hey Off !

cheers!

welcome to the forum. As far as directions "google maps" best thing since sliced bread.LOL

B
BobbiDollPDX
This book is a huge help when I'm trying to find a hole on a certain river, it includes full page maps of the larger rivers with the most popular bank fishing spots and boat ramps highlighted. It is around 5 years old but it still serves its purpose.

Fishing in Oregon: The Complete Oregon Fishing Guide
by Madelynne Diness Sheehan

14967582.jpg