Coho behavior question

M
madoc
Howdy all,

I was out on Nehalem bay yesterday and last Wednesay trying for coho. No joy from trolling an alvin or an inline spinner (chartreuse and green on Wednesday, blue herring Alvin yesterday). I tried chucking (pink) buzzbombs and crippled herring (Blue and White) right at the fish, as they were jumping, finning and breaching all around me.

First, is that behavior indicative of feeding? As in, is it worth casting a spinner, spoon, or jig at them when they are doing this? I got one really hard hit on the crippled herring that was just a hit.

Both times I got on the water just about an hour before high tide, and stayed on an hour or two past high tide.

any advice for Nehalem coho?

K
Kodiak
madoc said:
Howdy all,

I was out on Nehalem bay yesterday and last Wednesay trying for coho. No joy from trolling an alvin or an inline spinner (chartreuse and green on Wednesday, blue herring Alvin yesterday). I tried chucking (pink) buzzbombs and crippled herring (Blue and White) right at the fish, as they were jumping, finning and breaching all around me.

First, is that behavior indicative of feeding? As in, is it worth casting a spinner, spoon, or jig at them when they are doing this? I got one really hard hit on the crippled herring that was just a hit.

Both times I got on the water just about an hour before high tide, and stayed on an hour or two past high tide.

any advice for Nehalem coho?

Coho jump a lot..hard to say with them. I would consider anchovie colors and profiled baits. If the coho are caching massive air thats them playing and showing off..porposing and slashing are feeding behaviors.

A
All Ford
I fished Nehalem Bay growing up with my grandpa and dad. in the bay All we ever used were whole herring, with a nose clip, red diver and sometimes a flasher. We found it's best to lube the herring with wd 40 so they don't squeak. :) If you are fishing up river it's spinners trolled just off the bottom.
Hopefully I can get the controls for my trolling motor installed tomorrow and I will be heading down there this week.

Last edited:
C
chris61182
I can't help very much with your questions but if it helps you feel any better I was fishing from the south jetty on Sunday around high tide and I only saw two fish landed for all the boats that were out there. So I suspect that the fishing is still moving quite slowly while we wait for our prayers to the rain gods to be heard.

F
FishSchooler
All Ford said:
I fished Nehalem Bay growing up with my grandpa and dad. in the bay All we ever used were whole herring, with a nose clip, red diver and sometimes a flasher. We found it's best to lube the herring with wd 40 so they don't squeak. :) If you are fishing up river it's spinners trolled just off the bottom.
Hopefully I can get the controls for my trolling motor installed tomorrow and I will be heading down there this week.

Please leave out the WD 40... It's horrible for our rivers. It's like pouring some petroleum into a river and having it go through fishes' gills.

G
GDBrown
Wd 40

Wd 40

FishSchooler said:
Please leave out the WD 40... It's horrible for our rivers. It's like pouring some petroleum into a river and having it go through fishes' gills.

It Is!!!! Just like using a two cycle outboard is!!! But not quite as bad as most people think. Petroleum products are lighter than water and therefore rise to the surface and drift on top above the fish.

Get out the oars and do some rowing....:mad:

GD

Last edited:
A
All Ford
It's going to be hard rowing against the tide but I will give it a shot! :D Or maybe I will give my kicker a tune up instead so it's not quite so dirty. I know the wd 40 thing is kinda a touchy subject. I wear gloves when I handle my bait but Dads old school and still uses the spray. To each his own.

M
madoc
Well, given that I am fishing from a kayak, I am already working against the current. Which isn't so hard in the Nehalem.

I'm dialing in my technique, and have yet to give bait a try. Easier to just pack along an assortment of hardware.

Next trip out I am going to bring an assortment of spoons, spinners, and jigs to cast, and maybe try out a cutplug or two just to see if I can convince them to bite.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Jumping coho in tidewater means FISH ON or when I see two or more on the fish finder! :)

F
FishSchooler
GDBrown said:
It Is!!!! Just like using a two cycle outboard is!!! But not quite as bad as most people think. Petroleum products are lighter than water and therefore rise to the surface and drift on top above the fish.

Get out the oars and do some rowing....:mad:

GD

Well it has to do something horrible. Oil floats, but all the animals that get oiltaminated in oil spills have a hard time living.

M
Mike123
Witnessed tons of coho jumping last few days of fishing in bay and tidewater.
I've noticed different types of jumping habits. When they fly really far out of the water, mostly numerous times, that is often seals and sea lions chasing them.
When they just porpoise or jump slightly out of the water they are smacking bait...(anchovies etc...) When there are a lot of coho just jumping for the clouds I've noticed a POOR bite. When there are just a few rolling and chasing bait the bite is ON.

Last edited:
A
akangler
same thing going on here on the necanicum river just a touch in from the mouth, Cohos jumping like crazy but not going after any of the spinners or any other harware I've thrown at em.
Ive tried some eggs and sand shrimp to no avail, not sure what to try next.

M
Mike123
akangler said:
same thing going on here on the necanicum river just a touch in from the mouth, Cohos jumping like crazy but not going after any of the spinners or any other harware I've thrown at em.

Try a sling shot with heavy lead shot. Aim for the lion's head! :cool:

G
GDBrown
jumping Coho

jumping Coho

akangler said:

How about a FLY? When trout are jumping they are after spinners or flies landing on the surface. When they are rolling they are after emergers. So maybe the coho are after something that is just below the surface of the water.

On the other hand maybe they are just trying to shake off the sea lice!

F
Fishtopher
Arent they just trying to loosen eggs for spawning??

B
bigdog
Fishtopher said:
Arent they just trying to loosen eggs for spawning??

That's what I have heard and been told.

R
Razz
FishSchooler said:
Well it has to do something horrible. Oil floats, but all the animals that get oiltaminated in oil spills have a hard time living.
Thanks Fish School I second your quote. Lots of little things in our rivers equal BIG things down the road.