Coho are coming

I
Indifisher
So I took the family to Pacific City on Sunday. We knew the weather would be colder, but damn. On the actual shoreline, it was windy, overcast, and only 64 degrees. Anyways, while I ran around in the break water with our daughter, a boat come in and landed on the beach. Fish and Game was there before the passengers even jumped out. I saw a silver flash, so I headed over to see what it was. They had several good size crab, and 5 nice sized, silver as can be, Coho. I asked what they used and was told just the basic plug cut herring trolled behind dodge flashers. So they are out there. Prepare yourselves.

PS. By the time we got home to Independence at 7 pm, the temp was 94 degrees. That just aint right.

-Jason-

F
FishFinger
Thanks for the report, sounds like things are stacking up to be a amazing coho return this year. I'm getting twitchy already just thinkin' about it. Hopefully Oregon will follow Washington lead and open the bag limit up to 6 fish as well two nookers and 4 Silvers per day.

I often complain about the never ending rain, so It seems only right to refrain from any whining about the summer heat when it finally arrives. Otherwise I'd be guilty of complaining about the weather here year round..lol

A
autofisher
FishFinger said:
I often complain about the never ending rain, so It seems only right to refrain from any whining about the summer heat when it finally arrives. Otherwise I'd be guilty of complaining about the weather here year round..lol

It's Oregon. That's what we do. If we knew everyday what the weather was gonna hold for us...... I'd probably move.

Are there any Coho fishin holes down here in Salem? And if not where's the best place to go besides the ocean to get into a fight with one of em?

M
meluvtrout
autofisher said:
It's Oregon. That's what we do. If we knew everyday what the weather was gonna hold for us...... I'd probably move.

Are there any Coho fishin holes down here in Salem? And if not where's the best place to go besides the ocean to get into a fight with one of em?

Sandy is only 1hr 30 minutes drive from Salem...

L
lizardman
Coho come up here to the Umatilla every year. Come on up when they are running good past the John Day dam and McNary dam and I can take you to a place where you are almost guaranteed to catch a fish.... I just can't guarantee it will be a coho as sometimes we get fall run Chinook on the Umatilla that although fun to fight have to be released as they are out of season. Also we get steelhead on the Umatilla.

Dave

Irishrover
Irishrover
Indifisher..thanks for the information. I'm headed back to Newport next Monday for while. Going to get somemore silvers and cool off a wee bit. Might even find myself an nice bowl of clam chowder!

Y
youngbuck307
Irishrover said:
Indifisher..thanks for the information. I'm headed back to Newport next Monday for while. Going to get somemore silvers and cool off a wee bit. Might even find myself an nice bowl of clam chowder!

O man that sounds so nice right now!! Silvers+Newport+cooling off+clam chowder= nothing but goodness:dance::D:dance:

Irishrover
Irishrover
meluvtrout said:
Sandy is only 1hr 30 minutes drive from Salem...
No silvers in the Sandy this year. ODFW has transfered them all to the Clackamas. There has been an outbreak of silver flue in the Sandy and it's real bad around Cedar Creek. So ODFW posted a warning sign (underwater) west of the Willamette to divert all silvers to the Clackamas. They expect the the silver flue to peak sometime in late September. The notice said to avoid areas like Dodge Park, the Garbage hole, Oxbow Park, and especially Cedar Creek or you might catch silver fever.:shock: One of the best medical treatments available is obtained from that rare animal the blue fox.:think:

H
here2fish
Yah....... I heard that to. No fish in the Sandy all in the Clackamas.;)

K
Kodiak
Irishrover said:
: One of the best medical treatments available is obtained from that rare animal the blue fox.:think:

Plegh:protest::mad::naughty: If thats the cure i'll witht he disease! Talk about the cure being worse than the sickness...(make a sick button of your choice here!) There are soooo many better choices...I'd fish a corky and yarn before one of those things!

Y
youngbuck307
lol im so with u on that one.... might as well take the 3 bucks they cost out ur pocket and put that on ur hook and have a better chance to catch a fish

F
Fishtopher
I just got back from Barveiw, (campin' the last few HOT days...) both the lady in Lysters, and that Sporting goods store in Tillamook, comfirmed Coho in the Bay, with a few caught in the Jaws. Ill be back there from the 2nd to the 8th. I need to catch somethin prettier than whats been bittin the last few days.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Kodiak said:
Plegh:protest::mad::naughty: If thats the cure i'll witht he disease! Talk about the cure being worse than the sickness...(make a sick button of your choice here!) There are soooo many better choices...I'd fish a corky and yarn before one of those things!

OK OK OK to tell you the truth I have never figured out why they call it a blue fox when it comes in different colors???:lol::lol: I promise I'll try some Thomas Creek lures! But for the ocean I'll stick to my hoochies. I sure hope to see a lot of OFF guys on the Sandy this year.

Last edited: