Coho and coyote spoons

Irishrover
Irishrover
I made a run down to buoy 10 today just to see how fishing was doing. SLOW.....you can't keep any chinook and only fin clipped natives, but since the boat is moored there and it was such a darn beautiful day we went for it. There was very little wind and lots of sun, we started trolling near Hammond after we put the crab pots in. We started with herring and a spinner. After a couple of hours I switched the spinner to a blue and silver coyote spoon. Now I have never been a fan of those little pieces of thin metal. I have always been either herring, or hoochies for silver, but some one gave me a couple and I was just wondering if the really worked. In less than 5 minutes in the water the rod went off and my ten year old grandson brought to the boat his first salmon, a native coho. He wasn't thrilled went I told him we had to release it. Releasing that fish from the single siwash hook on the coyote spoon was dam easy. I got rid of the herring and put a coyote spoon on the other rod and my son landed another native. Again the single siwash was out real quick like and the native was on it's way. Now I know coyote spoons with siwash hooks are at least good for hooking and releasing natives. Might have to use the hoochies for hatchery catches.;) It was a great day on the water!

Last edited:
Reactions: lilsalmon
L
lilsalmon
nice report. Great way to spend time with the family.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Way to get into them! Spoons FTW! :D

J
jabs67
Awesome!!!!! Great job!!!!!:clap:

S
salsinker
Thanks for sharing. Some of my best trips resulted in no fish. Your grandson is on his way to becoming a catch and release angler.

Reactions: Boombollie