Coastal Trout Fishing

T
tnffishman
Spent the week in Rockaway for spring break and after checking the stocking schedule saw that the three lakes in Rockaway all got stocked with over 2000 each. Lake Lytle is where we focused most of our effort and we were rewarded with limits and non-stop bites all day, everyday.

Green is definitely the color at these lakes, and power eggs definitely was the secret weapon for the week. I brought a pack of regular power eggs and used em up in two days, then had to go out and buy 2 jars of gulp power eggs which produced as many bites but fell off much easier.

Anyway if you can get out to the Rockaway-Garibaldi area all the lakes are full of hungry trout, and we even got into 4 fish over 15 inches, landed two. One is in the middle of the second picture, sorry for the sideways pic, its from a cell phone :/

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for the report.

C
capblack
I can't think of a better way to spend spring break, good for your, Brian

J
JHawk
So, are you guys using that chartusse green? Troutdude said there was a Spring Green color for the Power Eggs, but I'll be darned if I can find it!

troutdude
troutdude
Chartruese rarely works for me, so I usually use Spring Green. And, I think I got 'em at Bi-Mart...although most places should have them.

HOWEVER, on my last trip to Big Creek Reservoir two weeks ago...those fish ONLY wanted the Chartruese.

Moral of the story...always have MULTIPLE colors on hand. I was glad that I did that day!

T
Thuggin4Life
That sure was a productive trip. Good job!

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks man.

My bro-in-law and another buddy and I, have all made it annual trek every March. We've gone there about 8 out of the nine last years. We always do well. Our record was all 3 limits in under two hours. (And many many C & R'd fish too).

I
Ifishforfood
im surprised i didn't see you! i stayed in rockaway over spring break and fished those same lakes. me and my buddy fished mainly at smith lake, and caught some good trout on worms under floats. i did a bit of fishing at lytle, and caught 1 trout, and missed 4, using cheese mallows and pink powerbait. good fish by the way!

troutdude
troutdude
You went to Big Creek Reservoir too (in Newport)? That is quite a ways away from Rockaway.

T
tnffishman
Ifishforfood said:
im surprised i didn't see you! i stayed in rockaway over spring break and fished those same lakes. me and my buddy fished mainly at smith lake, and caught some good trout on worms under floats. i did a bit of fishing at lytle, and caught 1 trout, and missed 4, using cheese mallows and pink powerbait. good fish by the way!

Ya we mainly fished Lytle and caught a few more at Smith. Chartreuse was the color we used. I have only caught fish on the Spring Green at N. Fork Reservoir. I always use chartreuse at Big Creek too

troutdude
troutdude
The Clackamas system North Fork Reservoir? I only fished that place once. But, we had a GREAT time! We we're tossing Rooster Tails, and couldn't keep the trout off of our hooks!!!

N
nwkiller
nice pictures, looks like you guys killed it

troutdude
troutdude
Ummm...those pics were from Olalla Reservoir in early February!

T
tnffishman
troutdude said:

WHAT!!! That's a lie I have those pictures on my phone from 3-23-10. Well they are trout and most trout do look the same I am 100% sure those are original pics from ME!

LOL I would like to see this post ur talking about though

troutdude
troutdude
I'm not real sure if we are talking about the same pics or not.

I personally took one pic, from Olalla, of a 28" steelie. I watched a commercial fisherman land it.

Then, I had a Georgia Pacific Security lady snap a pic of me with my stringer of 5 trout. One was 15", two were 16" and two were 17". No lie, an orignal pic of me and my catch that day.

T
tnffishman
troutdude said:
I'm not real sure if we are talking about the same pics or not.

I personally took one pic, from Olalla, of a 28" steelie. I watched a commercial fisherman land it.

Then, I had a Georgia Pacific Security lady snap a pic of me with my stringer of 5 trout. One was 15", two were 16" and two were 17". No lie, an orignal pic of me and my catch that day.

Ya I have no idea what ur talkin about that's a nice fish on the post but ur fish looks nothing like mine. Mine were just stockers 10 inchers and a 15 incher. even ur "stringer pic" would look nothing like mine even if it was on the thread. I dont know how u could say that pic was from ur thread. My fish aren't even close to the size ur claiming yours to be.

troutdude
troutdude
I don't know why you are calling me a liar. I really don't appreciate it!

I have NEVER lied about anything on here!

T
tnffishman
troutdude said:
I don't know why you are calling me a liar. I really don't appreciate it!

I have NEVER lied about anything on here!

I am not calling you a liar I appologize if it sounded like that. But YOU said MY pictures were from an old thread. And I am 100% sure they are mine I took them 6 days ago with my phone. And honestly I can't see why you would say that as mine looked nothing like yours.

I am not calling u a liar, but You have made a mistake here TD

troutdude
troutdude
Wow. I really don't know how this got blown out of proportion and went "south" like it has.

I'm thinking that we are talking about two different things.

I'm glad that you weren't calling me a liar for sure.

And, I definitely did NOT intend any malice towards you either. I don't recall say that your pics were from an old thread. If I did dot that, I must've been thinking of , or maybe referring to, something else.

Sorry for this whole misunderstanding my friend.

B
beaverfan
troutdude said:

Here's where you said his pics were from Olalla in February.