Coastal river bank access

Ikufaan
Ikufaan
New to fishing in OR and itching to hit the salmon. No boat, so I'm looking for good bank access anywhere with good salmon right now. Also, whats your rec for line set up?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Ikufaan said:
New to fishing in OR and itching to hit the salmon. No boat, so I'm looking for good bank access anywhere with good salmon right now. Also, whats your rec for line set up?
What part of the coast?

Ikufaan
Ikufaan
jamisonace said:
What part of the coast?
Anywhere between Astoria and Florence. I'm in Salem, so the Newport - Tillamook range is ideal, but I'm happy to travel

jamisonace
jamisonace
Ikufaan said:
Anywhere between Astoria and Florence. I'm in Salem, so the Newport - Tillamook range is ideal, but I'm happy to travel
I can't help with much North of Florence and I'm not much help with bank access anyway. The best rivers that I know of in that area with late runs are from the Nestucca up to the Kilchis. I was wasting time last week on my way from Coos Bay to Corvallis and hooked a chinook on the Alsea but it was old. Sorry I'm not more help.

Reactions: Ikufaan
C_Run
C_Run
I'm not familiar with what's north of the Nestucca but I'd probably go to the Nestucca or Alsea since those are the ones I know better and look for spots to access. There are a lot of ways to fish but I'd either just cast spinners or fish eggs under a bobber. Google bobber and eggs for salmon images and get all kids of ways to rig up. Fish spinners near the bottom and as slow as possible.

troutdude
troutdude
X3 on the Nestucca system. And I second what C_run said about casting spinners low n' slow. In fact Oregon's godfather of salmon, steelhead, and trout spinner fishing (Jed Davis) said that he you don't lose a few spinners on each outing...then you're not in the strike zone. They should tick, tick, tick, OFF of the bottom structure. Casting spoons like Little Cleo's can also get you into pockets that spinners can't get in to. And you can easily switch from spinner to spoon and back; without needing any change in gear or line.

If you want to get really good at spinner fishing--and do so very quickly--get yourself a copy of Jed's book. And then soak up everything that's in his book. Pun intended...lol (FYI a first or 2nd edition will have color plates which show his favorite spinners).

P.S. Back in the 80's after reading Jed's first edition, I bought the gear to make my own spinners. Based on Jed's concepts and designs, I made up a batch of #3 size spinners. They were all BLACK components, including a black piece of tubing over the hook shank. On my first trip out I went 1/4 on ginormous Chinook at Moonshine Park, on the Siletz River. The secret, essentially, is to match the conditions according to Jed's approach. In that case the day was overcast and their was a light drizzle. On dark days use dark lures. It seems counter-intuitive when you see all of the flashy junk for sale, at the sporting goods shops. But it really works!

1605039856261.png

Last edited:
Ikufaan
Ikufaan
Thanks for the advice! I'm ordering a copy of his book now. Appreciate the input, I'll be checking out the Nestucca system and seeing what I can find!

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
You're very welcome. If you need black spinners, but can't find the parts...get copper, brass, or gold colored spinners. Then bust out a black Sharpie and color them up. You can do the same with spoons too. IF you're fishing in the correct "dark" weather conditions.

You can't also get creative and put dots or stripes on one side of the blade. But don't paint, stripe, or dot up both sides of a spinner blade. As a spinner passes by a fish...you want the blade to change appearance, from the front of the blade, to the backside. The goal is to entice the fish to strike out at your lure. A brass blade with black dots on the front, but plain brass on the backside has worked for me in the proper conditions (brighter days, as you will discover in Jed's book).

troutdude
troutdude
P.S. The Siletz River also holds nice fish and is within your driving range.