Coastal cuttie report

atjohnson1111
atjohnson1111
Had a training down toward the coast and some co-worker buddies and I wanted to fish on our way back. My friend Don at the River city Fly shop showed me the Reverse Spider pattern so I gave it a try. After about 20 minutes of getting the retrieve down, I watched as a fat Cutthroat smashed the presentation and gave my 5wt an air show it hadn’t seen in awhile! I don’t have an accurate size but when I brought it to hand, it was a fat cutthroat. Caught a second one farther upriver that was definitely a resident. When it’s all said and done, it was a great day with a handful of fish caught between flies and my friends fishing under a float!

Maybe someone out there can shed some light for me, what’s the difference between a resident and a SRC? I figured the beefy fish I caught lower in the river was a SRC strictly based on the girth but who knows. I plan on fishing for Cutts all summer so if anyone wants to trade info, we can do it through PM

Tight lines! And hopefully my report helps someone hit the water and do some exploring!

• 9293961F-CA90-4B93-A27F-FD3A54DBB830.jpeg
  • F52B2B00-EC33-4BC7-8521-F7049308BDC3.png
Reactions: Ultramepps, Fred and Admin
C_Run
C_Run
Sea runs should look like little chromers and be hanging out in tidewater right about now. All those spots, I am guessing resident. There are some technical reports if you search for "sea run cutthroat biology" that will cause even more confusion when they start talking about life histories.

Reactions: atjohnson1111
F
Fred
I got a couple of reverse spider flies from that fly shop, but I never use them since I suck at flyfishing, lol. Also, those are some beautiful cutthroat I caught this 12 in one from gales creek about a week ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramepps and atjohnson1111
atjohnson1111
atjohnson1111
Those are some sweet fish! I actually bought that Les Johnson book a couple months ago and I love it. Have you watched the fly fishing northwest YouTube video with Les in it? I basically did the exact same retrieve and it performed better than I thought it would! Gales creek isn’t far from where I work in forest grove so I’ll have to check that out sometime! And oh by the way there’s never such a thing as “too many fish pictures”! LOL!

Reactions: Fred
F
Fred
I think I have watched it if you're talking about this video
.If you go fishing on gales creek a good place to fish is under the bridge at Gales Creek City. Another good spot is under the bridge close to Dorman's pond where the Wilson River Hwy and gales creek road meet. There's also a ton of spots higher up. Here are some more fish pictures of a 13in cuttie from Gales Creek that I caught under one of those bridges.

Reactions: my2labs, atjohnson1111 and Ultramepps
atjohnson1111
atjohnson1111
Fantastic! Thanks for the heads up! Maybe one of these days we can tie in with each other and have a summer of admiring cutties of all sizes!

Reactions: Fred
O
olshiftybiscuits
Wow, that is a trophy fish for Gales! Do you mind if I ask what stretch of the creek you were on?

F
Fred
I was fishing under the bridge where NW Gales Creek Rd goes through Gales creek city.