Close to Salem for daily fishing

J
jlayman0270
I get off work at 1:30 pm every day. I pick up the wife at 5:30 or at 6:00 the latest. I want to run to a river and get some good trout fishing (salmon when they're running this fall) during that time. Don't want to go too far, half hour or so, but don't want to fish out of a sess pool either. Tips? Ideas?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Rest area on I-5 south of Salem

Rest area on I-5 south of Salem

jlayman0270 said:
I get off work at 1:30 pm every day. I pick up the wife at 5:30 or at 6:00 the latest. I want to run to a river and get some good trout fishing (salmon when they're running this fall) during that time. Don't want to go too far, half hour or so, but don't want to fish out of a sess pool either. Tips? Ideas?

jlayman0270;
Welcome to the forum. We are here to help. So,grab lots of drinking water after you pick up your wife and then head south on I-5 for around 18 miles. Take the rest area exit,go around to the right and go behind the truck parking area. Just before the end you will see a road to the right,turn there. Follow the road down to the Santiam where the freeway crosses the river. You will find shade under the bridge. You have a good chance of getting into trout,bass,pikeminnow,as well as steelhead. If you walk to the right of the bridge past the boat ramp there is a small sandy beach area but no shade. The OSP patrol fairly regularly so it is a reasonably safe area. But beware! This is the time of year for snakes to be breeding. You may see a "mating ball" rolling across the trail. Leave it alone and,trust me on this,the thirty to fifty snakes making up the ball will definitely leave you alone. :shock:
Happy fishing and don't forget to let us know how you do. This is where I caught my first steelie.
Be safe.
Barb

A
autofisher
Within a half hour of Salem there are quite a few places you can go. There's Gateway Park behind the Wal-Mart off of Mission. I know it seems like a cess pool, but there have actually been a few trophies pulled out of there.
There's Wahling pond off of McGilchrist, I don't really recomend this one unless you are way short on time and gas.
There is the Silverton resevoir and it has a decent population for trout especially if you have a pontoon or a row boat. Also, Silver Falls outside of Silverton is a decent shot. Stayton is your closest shot at the North Fork of the Santiam with a couple of places to drop your line.
This might sound like a crap way to pawn off advice, but there is a book that tells where pretty much any lake, river, creek, or stream in Oregon is and how to get there. It'll even tell you what fish are in it. It's called "Fishing in Oregon". I use this as my bible when I'm in a new area.

18406ej
18406ej
Don't overlook the area of the Willamette near Salem's Waterfront Park/Wallace Marine Park. While they can be busy with swimmers on these very hot days, the waters hold trout, Bass (sm) and Steelhead.

D
Drew9870
And I thought I was the only OFFer to fish the Riverfront, but yes, there are some good size Smallmouth, some giant Carp (hardest fighting fish you will ever catch out of the Willy, besides sturgeon, salmon, and steelhead).

I have even seen a couple 45 inch Sturgeon caught right behind the Willamette Queen, and loads of Squawfish that are over 24 inches.

If anyone ever sees a kid with more than two poles and a longboard (poleholder) sittin on the dock, thats me.

Has anyone ever caught any Channel Cats in the Willy around Salem, I know they are rare, but I try all the time.

R
Richard_Pirate4x4
your not the OFF'er to fish the docks there I am there usually Sunday and Monday mornings on the West side , I've yet to catch anything , but that's ok , at least I'm not at home sitting on the couch:D