Cleaning rainbow trout and my thumb swelled

R
rainbowlover
Hey everybody,

I caught a nice rainbow up at fourmile lake a couple weeks ago and while i was cleaning it, i noticed that my thumb was swelling up and felt had as a rock! This has never happened to me before. I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on any hormone or somehting that might be in the spine of the fish or if I may have developed an allergy.

Thanks!

N
nwkiller
well trout dont have spines, but you could very well have been cut by its teeth, they have many rows of sharp teeth, some even have teeth on there tongue

B
beaverfan
Trout do to have spines! I would agree probably the teeth.

T
TTFishon
beaverfan said:
Trout do to have spines! I would agree probably the teeth.

Wait an minute, is that a mis print?

T
TTFishon
rainbowlover said:
Hey everybody,

I caught a nice rainbow up at fourmile lake a couple weeks ago and while i was cleaning it, i noticed that my thumb was swelling up and felt had as a rock! This has never happened to me before. I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on any hormone or somehting that might be in the spine of the fish or if I may have developed an allergy.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum rainbowlover. That would really suck to be allergic to rainbows.

G
gjonesjr
I cut meat for years and sometimes Not all the time but i would get a crazy rash and swelling on my hand when i cleaned the fish, and i never knew why

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
My trout have spines

My trout have spines

Hmmm,I could swear all those trout I've cleaned over the years had spines. :think: Seems like they would be called invertebrates instead,but since they do have vertebrae...yep they have spines. ;)

T
TTFishon
Raincatcher said:
Hmmm,I could swear all those trout I've cleaned over the years had spines. :think: Seems like they would be called invertebrates instead,but since they do have vertebrae...yep they have spines. ;)

Well if you look at it that way, then yeah, I guess they have spines.

S
strawberry shortcake
I have had my line bit, my fingers chomped, and my fish net cut by the little darlings. Nasty sharp teeth! Fortunately not all that long on a rainbow.

M
Moe
Rainbows have teeth, like the one in my avatar!

K
Kais
Moe said:
Rainbows have teeth, like the one in my avatar!
Speaking of your avatar. It is wierd.

F
fishnquest
Kais said:

Hey Moe! Hey Moe! woowoowoowooowoooo.

M
Moe
Kais said:
I am too tired to deal with you right now, but I will just say it is better than yours:shock::cool:

D
dominicleckie
The most important aspect is the way you clean the trout. I butterfly the trout so that the meat stays as one piece, held together by the skin. It is really pretty easy. A little practice and you will soon be cleaning trout with ease. I have some rainbow trout I am about to cut up so that should shut her up for a few days.