Classic streamers in still water?

copperjohn
copperjohn
Interested if anyone has tried some of the classic bucktail streamers such as a mickey finn or a black nose dace in still water for trout. I mostly use a nymph under a indicator when still water fishing but recently started stripping in a wolly bugger with good results. It had me wondering about these bucktail patterns. I know these patterns were originally developed for streams and not still water. I'm thinking the pattern will not have much action in a lake. Oh well just a thought rolling around my head. I tied up a few mickey finns and will have to go give them a try tomorrow.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I use a wooly bugger size 6 to 8 and behind it run a size 14 soft hackle. It has work well for me in lakes especially when I'm fishing on my pontoon boat. Works well trolled or stripped. I enjoy casting and stripping the best. One way to find out about the streamers, lets us know how it goes.

troutdude
troutdude
Copy that @Irishrover. Except I use Teeny Nymphs in tandem with Woolly Buggers. Typically olive green, black, or brown combinations. The key in still water (from my float tube) was to go slow. Then go even slower! Torpedo bobber and around 4' of leader--with my spinning rod/reel.

Reactions: Irishrover
S
Snopro
If we're talking traditional flys, a feather wing, black ghost streamer is still a killer in PNW stillwater. You could tie the bucktail variant if you wanted a hair wing.

Reactions: Irishrover and copperjohn
copperjohn
copperjohn
Didn't get much action on the mickey finn, I did get one short strike. A brown bugger was definitely a better producer today

Reactions: troutdude
D
Davpot
copperjohn said:
Didn't get much action on the mickey finn, I did get one short strike. A brown bugger was definitely a better producer today
Nice Call Snopro! I was about to suggest the Black Ghost as well, with the addition of a Royal Coachman bucktail! Black Ghost worked Wonders on Utah browniesšŸ„³

Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
Bugger with a Pheasant tail trailer works for me for Diamond and East Lakes - Have had luck when the rainbows are false spawning at Lava and East with Mickey Finn