Clackamas Saturday

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Question about the Clackamas river level. Water level is supposed to raise 1 ft over night. Is that enough to blow the river out? I'm thinking of trying a new stretch of the river to me, lower Mciver to Barton in my DB.

As always thanks for any help in advance.

D
DrTheopolis
Since that foot rise turned into a couple of inches, your problem today, I'm sure, is scraping bottom.

B
bigboy70
seems like our big rains have been nothing but disappointments...

T
troutmasta
bigboy70 said:
seems like our big rains have been nothing but disappointments...

speak for yourself-;)

B
bigboy70
I was talking the predicted levels to what its was this was not referring to the fishing. Fishing been decent all around, you got my number TM lets hit it soon!

S
Seahawkfan
The last rain brought a lot of fish up river depending on where you fish. Good luck to you all!

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Checked the river levels early am. My fishing buddy couldn't go so I ended up taking the toon down from oxbow. Is lower Mciver to Barton similar to Barton to Carver hazards wise? Looks to be twice as long river miles.

D
DrTheopolis
Hooked Up said:
Checked the river levels early am. My fishing buddy couldn't go so I ended up taking the toon down from oxbow. Is lower Mciver to Barton similar to Barton to Carver hazards wise? Looks to be twice as long river miles.

It's actually been a long time since I drifted any higher than Feldheimers. But you'll be fine. There's a couple of decent rapids, the first being right below the ramp (kind of a theme at McIver). But if you have any whitewater skills at all, I wouldn't sweat it. Pretty comparable to the Barton to Carver run.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Thanks Doc, if it's similar to Barton to Carver I've got a section to explore.

L
logo1039
I am wanting to go this weekend on the Clackamas for some winter steelhead. I have a 15 ft smokercraft that has a very small v haul. Will I be fine and how far could I go upstream? Thanks

D
DrTheopolis
Looking at the current level, and the prediction for the weekend, you should be fine... if your Smokercraft has dual 300 horse motors. At 15+ feet, it might be tough to fish, but you probably won't scrape bottom.

Once it gets under about 13.5, you might be OK. But a boat like yours needs a ton of power to get up any of the rapids. And a boat like that has a very small window of river height that you can use it. But if you don't mind just fishing right around the ramps (Barton, Carver, Riverside), you can fish those small areas, even down to lower levels.

L
logo1039
Ok thanks. I was planning on going to Carver but just wanted to make sure. Also what should I use and do, bobber? Trolling plugs? Side drifting or casting lures?