Clackamas @ Riverside/Winter Steel

A
ArcticAmoeba
Hit Riverside Park this mornin with BigDog, FishFinger, and Osmosis to do a little drift fishing for the Chrome Dome brats. Had plenty of short strikes, head shakers and bait brutalizations, and only two to the bank. Both caught during the heat up of the afternoon bite, and both were a spawning pair. I picked off the buck first, and 10 or 12 minutes later his gorgeous, scale spitting hen got stabbed in pretty much the same spot as where I stuck her handsome little buck. Coon Dogs on Vision #3's, or #4 Owner N.P.'s. Bait bite was savage in the morning though, just could not get one stabbed proper. Lots of multiple head shakers, or set the hook and reel down to the last roll off the hook, but in the end bait wiped up the corkies, yarn, jigs, spinners, or whatever everyone else was throwin. Only two retained out of Riverside today would be a pretty fair guesstimate. And of course, the jerk who skipped middle school 4 days a week to hone cold weather sniper tactics hooks-up the limit, of the spawning pair... Partners in life. Partners on grill. The only proper thing to do right.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The first shots are of the first fish, the buck. These are of the second fish, my little little lady.

And a big thanks to Osmosis for bein the grizzly heaver, and FishFinger for rockin out some nice action shots of yours truly...

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
It was a blast hanging out with you malcontents. And thanks for packing a back up rod. I am on my last nerve with defective Lami glass products. Guess I should have inspected it before hiking in.

Outstanding job on the hook ups btw. After a morning of filled with soft mouthing and bait thief it was great to see you manage to put some slambs on the bank.

Cudos to Osmo for the double assists after both fish made you scamper down the entire length of the bank before finally getting played out.

I really enjoyed the oppertunity to kick it with you guys, you are both an amazing wealth of knowledge.

Big Dog, you left just a tad bit early my friend, but fear not... There are fish to be had and I'm sure several have your name on them.

On my hike out I hear this whistle and low and behold there is Fishtopher bythe pilings rigging up for the end of the day assult.

F
Fishtopher
Hehe, small world. CJ called earlier in the morning, and said yall were headed out, but I figured yall would be long gone by the time I got out.

AA, I noticed yer reelin' funny, you do that all the time, or just cuz of the wrist? I dont see too many folks reelin' righty on a spinnin' reel.

Sorry guys for not givin' up the proper howdy do's and handshakes, I was a lil frustrated with my new line spooled up on my reel, and my Okie that had just cracked right down the middle. Great lookin feeshys though!

So CJ left early huh? Tisk tisk tisk...

So yall know I just learned how to tie up a egg loop. Question regarding that. When yall put the bait in the loop, how do you get yer hoook to lie straight, or is it supposed to lay different with bait in it?

F
FishFinger
Aaarrrrrrrg... It's 5:30 am and it's snowing to beat hell, might put a damper in returning to the scene of the crime... Gonna give it another hour before I make the yea or nay call on heading out today. (Damn weather people, they said the front wouldn't arrive till about noon. Boy I'd sure like a gig where you can you can be wrong consistently yet keep your job.)

Fishto....

For these soft mouthers I'd suggest getting schooled on the pimped out egg loop.. Hint, hint.

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Haha! Ive heard much about it! Ive got the kids until about the time those guru's say the real weather will arrive. But Ill be out on Monday Tues, Wed, and Friday. Maybe I could be schooled.

If you get out today, take pictures everywhere ya go. I'd like to see the chaos...atleast secondhand. And be safe on the roads. Sure to be lottsa yahoos around Christmas shoppin'!

B
bigdog
Yeah I know I left but I had to rescue my mom from work xmass party she didn't have a ride she was scared to drive thought the roads would be wores then they were..
Nice job man I knew there were some in there messing with us just wish I would have been there to see them banked better yet wish I would have banked one but still all in all was a good morning of hanging with you guys.....

Would have had more hang time with dan but it took him a while to shake off the chicken feathers and get in his rig and make his way to the spot. Still good to see ya even if only for a few.

Need to do it again soon thinking going to try to get over there and hit it again today

A
ArcticAmoeba
Hell yeah guys! It was pretty entertaining to have a group of...Malcontents, or your run of the mill outlaws just shootin the...stuff to shoot... We will surely do this again! And yes i got run all over, both up, and down the whole riffle.. I was, and have been whackin brat Steel on light Bass gear. Whadda ya expect!:rolleyes:

BigDog - That sucks you had to leave, so far you are the one to hook-up the first fish out of a small group of us...Remember tha sled trip you had a fat one shake off! Ah, we'll get down on some more cold weather sniping soon. Hit me up next time you, or a group of you guys hit the Clackamas again. That was pretty chill.

Fishtopher - It is how I learned to fish...Old School, but yes the surgery, and gnar gnar cast force the right hand retrieve issue. Osmosis is the same way, except he is RHR all the time. I only do it from like Plug, or trolling rods, drift fishing I normally switch it up. I have way more sensitivity in my right hand, but I still can manage to stick a few here and there all busted up, and fishin backwards!;) No worries about the improper greetings, it was just Osmosis and I, the two people everyone loves to hate out there! Haha. I'm sure we'll see eachother quite a bit this winter if you venture out to our home turf on the Clack.

FishFinger - Thanks Dan! It was nice to get a couple brats to the bank after all that teasin the whole day! Glad you had a good time B.Essin. with us. We do fish a little different, but it works handily, and usually is extremely adaptable to other systems. No problem on the rod, I had one in the 'Yote anyways, and it turned out to be the hot rod for the day...But that is how it is with that little flinger. If you are targeting Steel, or worse, Coho with that thing, she really likes to make you work for 'em!

All together a wicked day with some members on the Clackamas. This Forum makes it pretty easy to network a group of guys to go scale hunting. And Riverside is the perfect venue for larger groups, as that whole drift produces. So a larger number of members can spread out, and take up the only really decent stretch in the whole park! HAHA, OFF'ers are on the rise. I remember this summer it was hard to coordinate with more than one person to hook-up, but it is gettin easier with the large member base. Good luck out there all, and not too rub it in, but i took another at first light today. Same setup as yesterday. This time it was 2nd cast, no screwin off. I left before the sun came up fully, and will be at it this afternoon for the second fish. Maybe some of you will be out there?

F
FishFinger
4 am gearing up, looked outside and saw the snow piling up. The last time I made the call to beat a snow event I wound up by my lonesome at Cedar Creek unable to climb the hill out. Eventually I did get out but all an all it was frightful driving a company truck w/ slicks and traffic advisories implying everyone should stay off the roads.

So.. Of course I didn't make it this morning and looking out the window now..
Perhaps a good call.

Being trapped indoors... perhaps doing honey dos' might get me more "action" than ........ well you know what I mean

B
bigdog
ArcticAmoeba said:
Hell yeah guys! It was pretty entertaining to have a group of...Malcontents, or your run of the mill outlaws just shootin the...stuff to shoot... We will surely do this again! And yes i got run all over, both up, and down the whole riffle.. I was, and have been whackin brat Steel on light Bass gear. Whadda ya expect!:rolleyes:

BigDog - That sucks you had to leave, so far you are the one to hook-up the first fish out of a small group of us...Remember tha sled trip you had a fat one shake off! Ah, we'll get down on some more cold weather sniping soon. Hit me up next time you, or a group of you guys hit the Clackamas again. That was pretty chill.

Fishtopher - It is how I learned to fish...Old School, but yes the surgery, and gnar gnar cast force the right hand retrieve issue. Osmosis is the same way, except he is RHR all the time. I only do it from like Plug, or trolling rods, drift fishing I normally switch it up. I have way more sensitivity in my right hand, but I still can manage to stick a few here and there all busted up, and fishin backwards!;) No worries about the improper greetings, it was just Osmosis and I, the two people everyone loves to hate out there! Haha. I'm sure we'll see eachother quite a bit this winter if you venture out to our home turf on the Clack.

FishFinger - Thanks Dan! It was nice to get a couple brats to the bank after all that teasin the whole day! Glad you had a good time B.Essin. with us. We do fish a little different, but it works handily, and usually is extremely adaptable to other systems. No problem on the rod, I had one in the 'Yote anyways, and it turned out to be the hot rod for the day...But that is how it is with that little flinger. If you are targeting Steel, or worse, Coho with that thing, she really likes to make you work for 'em!

All together a wicked day with some members on the Clackamas. This Forum makes it pretty easy to network a group of guys to go scale hunting. And Riverside is the perfect venue for larger groups, as that whole drift produces. So a larger number of members can spread out, and take up the only really decent stretch in the whole park! HAHA, OFF'ers are on the rise. I remember this summer it was hard to coordinate with more than one person to hook-up, but it is gettin easier with the large member base. Good luck out there all, and not too rub it in, but i took another at first light today. Same setup as yesterday. This time it was 2nd cast, no screwin off. I left before the sun came up fully, and will be at it this afternoon for the second fish. Maybe some of you will be out there?

I'm thinking I'm going to shoot down there for the second bite what time you going to be out there?

A
ArcticAmoeba
I was thinkin of gettin out to the same drift at about 1:30 or 2:00. I'm pretty sure the roads are fine, eh whatever, I can make it, so can you I'm sure, but if it looks too friggin treacherous, I may not hit it...It looks too fun to not go screw around in the lot at least! You still have coons? They are the hot ticket right now aparantly. Probably see you there CJ? Eh, maybe?? Haha, Later on man.

B
bigdog
Yeah I'll be there and yep still have plenty of coons. No roads will stop me you should know that now lol

S
Surejam
Morning,

I too decided not to head out... Kinda wish I had so I could meet some of you in person and continue my education on catching some fish. Once I see someone do it 1st hand I am sure I will figure it out.

Seeing the pictures and the posts makes me want to jump up and go anyhow ! I am sure that once I am no longer a Steelhead Virgin :redface: I will be out there trying for more. Some say it's like a sickness, once it's in your blood you are done... Can't wait :lol:

Wondering how bad the roads really were..... and how bad they will be tomorrow after this "snow storm" we are getting.

Keep the posts comming....it makes me crazy :wall:

A
ArcticAmoeba
No doubt CJ! HaHa. Between the two of us, there should never be a dead day this winter, regardless of how much garbage gets dumped on us! We'll be out there!

SureJam - If you have a 4WD or chains, strap 'em on, or lock yo hubs...The fishin is at a nice slack pressure stage right now, so getting out, especially with the mini's before he crowds get bigger will only make it easier for you while you are starting to pick up the game. Shoot some messages around, or just post when you are going to head out for sure, and I bet one of us will have the same plans...Good Luck!

B
bigdog
Surejam said:
Morning,

I too decided not to head out... Kinda wish I had so I could meet some of you in person and continue my education on catching some fish. Once I see someone do it 1st hand I am sure I will figure it out.

Seeing the pictures and the posts makes me want to jump up and go anyhow ! I am sure that once I am no longer a Steelhead Virgin :redface: I will be out there trying for more. Some say it's like a sickness, once it's in your blood you are done... Can't wait :lol:

Wondering how bad the roads really were..... and how bad they will be tomorrow after this "snow storm" we are getting.

Keep the posts comming....it makes me crazy :wall:
Well yes it is a sickness but one that is worth it.

The roads are never that bad as people think you just need to takes it easy out there and go at it a little slower if they are slick. There is always this afternoon bite to try to get in to and the ones that are going to be down on the riverside this afternoon got a good amount of knowledge for this fishier so you might want to try to make it out there. I'm sure they wouldn't mind passing a few tips on to you.

With all that said I need to go out and get things loaded and ready to head out pretty soon here

F
FishFinger
CJ your a mad man.... If you accidently pass by Tigard High School on your way to the Clack, feel free to stop by and I'll throw my gear in your rig too......

Otherwise I'm holding out for say..... Monday

P
phish-on
FishFinger said:
CJ your a mad man.... If you accidently pass by Tigard High School on your way to the Clack, feel free to stop by and I'll throw my gear in your rig too......

Otherwise I'm holding out for say..... Monday

HEY:shock: you can stop in beaverton on your way to tigard :pray: ;)
would that be the monday after christmas?
sometimes i wish i lived on the eastside closer to the clack or sandy. im holding out till next friday or monday and heading for coastal rivers.

F
FishSchooler
Riverside again! I don't think I'll be trying there in the winter cause I dont have waders. Nice fish AA.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Thanks man! Riverside is one of my most prodctive, publically accessible, Winter Steel drifts. Haha, no waders huh? It is gonna be hard to fish for a while, as the water is going to be quite a bit higher than the Summer months. But craigslist has wader listings often enough, and the ones i am wearin in those pictures were 10 dollars. 5 bucks for the fuel to get out there, and 5 bones for the skins. If your neighbors are in need of any type of assistance, with literally anything, from replacing light bulbs, to doin christmas tree removal is a nice way to earn a few extra bucks. When I was your age, that is how I rolled. Cheap, cheap. Used gear, hand-me-down tackle. And nightcrawlers, because a quart of cured eggs is astonishingly brutal. But you could technically fish that upper drift, without waders. If you get run downstream it will become a little bit of a chore, but you could do it. Try it out sometime, see if it looks like someplace you could lift your rod, and clear the shrubbery when you get a wiley down stream planer.

F
FishWenKan
Nice! Can't keep offers off the fish can ya, rain snow or sunny!
AA-how do u cast with a cast or even hold a pole?... Skillz:clap: