Clackamas River November 2013

Y
Youngfishermen
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone has caught a winter steelhead yet??? on the clackamas river ???? In this month????Because Looking to fish it on thursday. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

H
halibuthitman
while I would never say impossible, your odds of success before December are improbable... google N Fork Klaskenine river, then look for the fire station.. there is a bobber/drift slot right there, just thought I would mention that... just putting it out there... hint hint....

D
DrTheopolis
Why don't you be the first to catch one?

When the Meldrum folks start chiming in with reports, then hit the Clack.

Probably going to be slow until after the new year, sad to say. Christmas is kinda sorta the traditional time for any sort of numbers.

Notice I said "probably"? They don't follow my rules, they make their own, every year.

H
halibuthitman
If I was going to go for a winter steelhead in the next 10 days I would drive right to the worlds biggest spruce stump on the necanicum and fish downstream from there, or I would go to the NF Nehalem, if not there I would fish low on Big Creek.. The NF Klaskenine, or any host of the rivers that are 20 miles or less from the salt...

D
DrTheopolis
halibuthitman said:
If I was going to go for a winter steelhead in the next 10 days I would drive right to the worlds biggest spruce stump on the necanicum and fish downstream from there, or I would go to the NF Nehalem, if not there I would fish low on Big Creek.. The NF Klaskenine, or any host of the rivers that are 20 miles or less from the salt...

Well, if I was looking for an early winter...

I'd do exactly what HHM said. Necanicum and NF Nehalem are good early bets... and it's still a little early.

S
skunk
As HHM has stated, those would be my go to's. Anytime one of our resident experts gives a hint, file that hint away for future use. In 3 years since I've started fishing, I've got hundreds of spots marked on google earth from kind souls like HHM.

P
perfectg03
Clack is a late return river, with best fishing in Late February and March. I usually won't start fishing it until Christmas time. Plenty of good options for early winters on the north coast.

D
DrTheopolis
Agreed.

Give the Necanicum and NF a week and a rainstorm, and there will be fish. Hatchery fish, even.

Y
Youngfishermen
Okay guys I will try somewhere around the coast, BTW I fished the clack and did not have even one bite