Clackamas Coho question

B
Bohemian
My work/home schedule for the rest of October isn't going to allow for much fishing, but I am able to get a little fishing in at first light. I have been stopping at different spots along Clackamas River Drive from the pumping station area on up to Carver (only one hookup so far) At this point in the run, and with the low water levels, is it pretty unlikely that I will catch anything just using spinners? Are there still fish in good numbers throughout the river? -- or will it take some serious rain to bring in more fish?
Just looking for opinions since I'm new to coho fishing this year. Having a bunch of fun learning from you guys :D

Thanks

O
osmosis
there are fish throughout the entire river, and you stand a good chance on #3 and #4 spinners, spoons, and your regular drift gear.
We did very well with bobber and jigs this morning targeting deeper slots that they are holding in.

B
bigdog
There are fish all through the sytem. Water being this low does make it a little harder to target them. Been told manytime now and seems to work but when the water is low and clear go small. Last I heard the mouth of eagle was holding a lot of fish still pretty hard for them to get up there. I know you weren't looking to go that high up but. Also heard the were still getting them at b10 so that would mean there are more fish coming. Don't know if they all are going to clack but they are coming.

Hope this helps you some out there and good luck.
CJ

F
FishSchooler
bigdog said:
There are fish all through the sytem. Water being this low does make it a little harder to target them. Been told manytime now and seems to work but when the water is low and clear go small. Last I heard the mouth of eagle was holding a lot of fish still pretty hard for them to get up there. I know you weren't looking to go that high up but. Also heard the were still getting them at b10 so that would mean there are more fish coming. Don't know if they all are going to clack but they are coming.

Hope this helps you some out there and good luck.
CJ

And the numbers at bonneville are going up again... :dance:

M
Mike123
I have fished the Clack one time and that was last weekend... what's considered low, medium and high and the river?
McIver park high? Or middle?
Barton?

I have no clue where to fish... Seems like pretty big water at least compared to the Sandy.

O
osmosis
mciver is high,
carver up to barton or Eagle creek is middle, from carver down is low.

Mciver is too high if you're lookin for the best bet for hatchery coho, Eagle creek is several miles below there and most of the fish are staged downstream of EC in different holes waiting for rain.

M
Mike123
osmosis said:
mciver is high,
carver up to barton or Eagle creek is middle, from carver down is low.

Mciver is too high if you're lookin for the best bet for hatchery coho, Eagle creek is several miles below there and most of the fish are staged downstream of EC in different holes waiting for rain.

Aha... I see. I just kinda took a little trip by there after fishing the Sandy and had no clue where I was going. Seen a few fishing Mciver, a lot more fishing at Carver. Thanks for the heads up

C
Cracker
Bohemian said:
My work/home schedule for the rest of October isn't going to allow for much fishing, but I am able to get a little fishing in at first light. I have been stopping at different spots along Clackamas River Drive from the pumping station area on up to Carver (only one hookup so far) At this point in the run, and with the low water levels, is it pretty unlikely that I will catch anything just using spinners? Are there still fish in good numbers throughout the river? -- or will it take some serious rain to bring in more fish?
Just looking for opinions since I'm new to coho fishing this year. Having a bunch of fun learning from you guys :D

Thanks

You have until the end of the year now to fish for them. The season was extended. More fish should be on the way.

C
CFishRun
Barton is a great stretch, especially above the bridge. Watch out for waterfowl hunters though had a difficult morning a few weeks ago as ducks flew over head hot lead blazed over me. Not the most comfortable fishing as you hear 12 gauges blast shot after shot and you start hoping that the birds hang high so you don't get a pellet frenzy bombarding your knickers.

Lost of water...but no success for me guess I'll keep fighting the good fight.

Fishing is the art of patience...catching fish is the art of persistence.

Someone should right that down.

M
Mike123
CFishRun said:
Barton is a great stretch, especially above the bridge. Watch out for waterfowl hunters though had a difficult morning a few weeks ago as ducks flew over head hot lead blazed over me. Not the most comfortable fishing as you hear 12 gauges blast shot after shot and you start hoping that the birds hang high so you don't get a pellet frenzy bombarding your knickers.

Dang that's crazy! Shotguns don't scare me to much since they aren't really lethal at distance.. But I've been shot at a few times while fishing! Not fun..

M
Markcanby
Mike123 said:
Dang that's crazy! Shotguns don't scare me to much since they aren't really lethal at distance.. But I've been shot at a few times while fishing! Not fun..

If you would stay out of the Koi ponds you wouldnt get shot at so much.:lol:

B
Bohemian
Thanks for all the help and continued encouragement. You guys have made a huge difference! Having a more confidence in what I'm doing makes it so much more fun. I can't thank you enough!

kirkster
kirkster
CFishRun said:

That would be real spooky to hear 12 gauges going off a few weeks ago. Because waterfowl season doesn't open until oct. 17 :shock:

M
Mike123
Markcanby said:
If you would stay out of the Koi ponds you wouldnt get shot at so much.:lol:

Koi ponds?? :think::lol:

H
here2fish
kirkster said:
That would be real spooky to hear 12 gauges going off a few weeks ago. Because waterfowl season doesn't open until oct. 17 :shock:

thats what I was thinking......:think: