clackamas chinook

J
Justluck
What days are chinook available for catching on the Clackamas?

M
metalmania
7 days a week from the highway 99 bridge and up.

J
Justluck
Thanks bud!

M
metalmania
No problem man good luck to you out there.

C
CLEARDRIFT
Hi you folks getting good numbers of springs this year?

M
metalmania
CLEARDRIFT said:
Hi you folks getting good numbers of springs this year?

Hopefully soon, but i've pretty much just been targeting steelhead for the past 5 months.

R
ramor7
How long is the chinook season open for in the clackamas? Thanks for any help, I'm new to this area and struggling a bit to understand all of the rules by location, etc..

Also, is there a common bait that would prove successful for Steelhead or chinook in the clackamas (eggs, shrimp, etc.)?

Thanks,

A
ArcticAmoeba
Chinook are open all year for retention on the Clackamas, and that river is, hands freakin down, an egg river. I have tagged 20 or so on eggs this season. A few more have come on Coon Shrimp, Shrimp, 'n egg cocktails and Plugs, but the certified, Clackamas killers usually run eggs.

C
CLEARDRIFT
Hi arcticAmoeba wow your killing the springs! may I ask what type of float are you using to drift fish your eggs?

C
cchinook
Clack

Clack

last Sat. - River Mill Dam - P.G.E. is dumping water big time - can not keep a bobber in there -- saw one angler get into a 45 min. fight with a springer , he lost - TO MUCH WATER ! all that will change by the end of May - almost time to break out the good eggs - on the up side I got a pretty good sun burn and a great nap --

A
ArcticAmoeba
I normally run "smallish" 3/8's - 3/4 Beau Mac slip floats for Springers. But I do use up to 2 oz. systems in boily holes. I hate gear that big though. So i try to squeak by with the lightest rig posible.

Charles, was it a Tule yet? My friend got tore up for a half hour by the first Bronzer we've seen this year, last week in the super duper, dumps of water. I just can't imagine a 45 minute Springer on the Clack! And hey, at least you can work on the tan in all this high-ish water right! Hahaha! And I will see you the last week of May. I'm sure of it.;)

F
FishSchooler
I'll have to wait till next spring to get a springer cause I went troot fishing last time. :rolleyes::cool: But lings are next on my list since I'm going to netarts (cape lookout). I need betta eggs! Do you think a spawn sack of pautske's will work? Or next time I go to those mini chinese seafood stores in east portland and by my a big bag of fresh eggs for 5 bucks. :cool: Then cure em up...

A
ArcticAmoeba
We killed Springers into August, and technically, on the 2nd of September I got into a big 'ol dark one, but my last retained Chinook in '08, was sometime during the last week of August. The eggs that the small markets carry are all washed with water, adn packaged. The water essentially ruins the egg. Making it nearly worthless... But if thats all they are for a big bag. Get some, and throw some Last Supper Cure on them, and try it out under a float above Riverside.

T
Troutcatcher
Do jigs under slip flots work good, if so what kind of jigs.Thanks for any help.

C
CLEARDRIFT
Hi articamoeba I know of a good float that is awsome in high water and you would love to use.:D

P
PDXKush
Whats up with these floats bro. If you need anyone to do some research for you ie. Tests...Let me know.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
We killed Springers into August, and technically, on the 2nd of September I got into a big 'ol dark one, but my last retained Chinook in '08, was sometime during the last week of August. The eggs that the small markets carry are all washed with water, adn packaged. The water essentially ruins the egg. Making it nearly worthless... But if thats all they are for a big bag. Get some, and throw some Last Supper Cure on them, and try it out under a float above Riverside.

They were singled out--no skein so I'm going to have to wrap them in a spawn sack. I dont know if they were watered down, they looked really fresh and juicy.

C
CLEARDRIFT
Thankx steelhead_stalkers yes a great float for the price! its the right size float to get your bait down to the fish in fast water and that is whats needed.tight lines everyone Rob