Clack Wed Evening

F
fisch
Me and Ken(neighbor) are going to try the late bite on the clack tonite. We will be at dam and/or gauge hole using eggs and sand shrimp(maybe some hardware). I hope to get at least a bite. Fishing has been pretty slow so far so let's hope for better bites. Last Sat we only saw 2 jacks pulled out of Dam hole and there was at least 15 rods in the water. Cchinook(my other neighbor) was really pissed when we came home empty handed. This seems to be a theme of 2009 - Lots of fishing but not much catching. I think my wife has completely lost hope that I might one day catch a fish :)

T
THE JEFF
I went Up there two evenings last week one day it was ok about 12 to 15 fish for all the guys (I had one bobber down and leader broke on the hookset) two days later half again as many guys one fish on and it was lost. I think Ill save my eggs for more productive fishing.

J
just1nook
I was at the dam hole for the 1st time on Sat as well. Got there around 530, thought I'd see more fish but I bailed around 730 to go back to bed. Saw one that had been caught before I got there and a Jack. Were you there that early fisch?...Good luck tonight.

F
fisch
just1nook - yes I was there(with cchinook) about the same time you were. 530am - 11am. So next time I gotta ask who is from OFF. Last night I got a sucker at gauge hole and then moved to Dam hole. I saw 3 fish cought at around 9pm and few missed take downs. I got nada :-( I'll try again - maybe on Fri.

F
FreshMoneyFisher
Dam Hole?

Dam Hole?

fisch said:
just1nook - yes I was there(with cchinook) about the same time you were. 530am - 11am. So next time I gotta ask who is from OFF. Last night I got a sucker at gauge hole and then moved to Dam hole. I saw 3 fish cought at around 9pm and few missed take downs. I got nada :-( I'll try again - maybe on Fri.

Would you guys mind describing the dam hole a little more? As in how do you get there.

I know it's below the dam...and above the upper McIver boat launch? Do you just walk up river from the launch?

I just can't seem to figure it out on google maps...guess I better go old school and just go look at it with my own eyes.

Thanks for any help.

C
Carl762
+1. I'd be interested in hearing about that too.

Long time ago, we walked up a path to the dam from the boat ramp at McIver Park (ramp to the right). Gotta do that again.

J
just1nook
FMF, When you enter the park take the first right, and head towards the upper boat launch. Just before the last hill to the launch there is a gravel road on the right, I think it has a sign for Estacada, take that and park on the left after 200 yds or so. There are multiple paths which lead down to the hole. Take care pretty steep, and slippery rock at the bottom by the water.
You might be able to bank hike it from the launch, only been once and used the above route.

Hey fisch, how many peeps show up for the evening bite during the week?

Anybody got any eggs they want to share?

F
fisch
There was 10 bobbers in the hole. It's pretty crowded even during the week. On the other hand you can drift to the left of everybody and I think there is plenty of oportunities to get a bite. Actually I saw a bobber go down 3ft from mine and guess what - it was a nice chrome springer. I was happy for the other guy but I hope I'll get one on spendy Amerman's eggs one of these days.

C
Carl762
Thanks. I now remember that gravel road.

F
fisch
Tried Sat morning again 5am-9am. 10 fishermen and nada. Fish were rolling all over the place but nothing interested them into a bite. Eggs, shrimp, spinners - nada. I saw a guy hooked a stealhead in the tailout of dam hole. Poor guy broke his rod in half as the steelie decided to bail to the rapids. I'll try next time :)

C
Carl762
Hmmm, next Wed morning might be worth a try.

S
skyflys
I was at the gage last sat with my budy and cchinook. I hook into one really deep in the hole and he was able to wrap up my leader and get off leaving me snaged. Then on sun I was up at the lake with the 20 other boats. I was fishing from the bank and hooked into a nice stealhead but his relentles thrashings on the bottom spit my jig. Now it's on!!!!!!!!!:mad: I can't stop thinking fish. It wont settle till I finally have one on the bank. I almost called into work so I could go back up there today and settle the score.

S
skyflys
It was good to meet you fisch. I hope to see you up there again and hopefully with some fish on the bank, for all!!

F
fisch
Went Sun night again. 10 people 1 fish landed at 9pm. That was it. I got one bite but it was too fast for me to set the hook. I'll go tomorrow (tue) morning again. It's my bday so I wish for a bday salmon.

C
chodathug
Bobber and eggs

Bobber and eggs

Hey guys, probably sounds like a dumb question, but I'm only used to slip float fishing for steelhead.

When you guys are talking about bobber'n'egg salmon fishing at the dam hole--or I guess salmon fishing in general--are you using a different set up? Or is it the same (i.e. bobber stop->bead->slip float->bead->weight->leader->split shot->hook).

Any advice on weight and depth too? Thanks a lot guys, still trying to bag my first nook, so appreciate any help!

good luck everyone!!

L
luv2fish
chodathug said:
Hey guys, probably sounds like a dumb question, but I'm only used to slip float fishing for steelhead.

When you guys are talking about bobber'n'egg salmon fishing at the dam hole--or I guess salmon fishing in general--are you using a different set up? Or is it the same (i.e. bobber stop->bead->slip float->bead->weight->leader->split shot->hook).

Any advice on weight and depth too? Thanks a lot guys, still trying to bag my first nook, so appreciate any help!

good luck everyone!!

its the same set up..except the split shot at the leader...some ppl do it...some don't..its your choice....arguement is that it keeps the bait down in the strike zone....
at dam hole...put your bobber stop at 10 feet and then mebbe a foot or two more or less...you have to play a lil bit to find the current depth at which the fishy are suspended...also game over after 7am..max..8 and that too on cloudy shady day....so early the better...
there are people who claim to bag fish at any hour over there...i won't argue cuz anything's possible but my personal time is around 4:30 am or 5 am these days...and say 8:30 pm to 9:10 pm just before it gets dark...this window period works good...i usually throw live sand shrimp as bait....1 oz bobber works good...sometimes 1 1/2 oz...

F
fisch
Went again last night. 20 fisherman 1 fish. It is just sooo slow up there and I think I spent enough eggs and time trying. It's time to move on and try something else.

F
FreshMoneyFisher
just1nook said:
FMF, When you enter the park take the first right, and head towards the upper boat launch. Just before the last hill to the launch there is a gravel road on the right, I think it has a sign for Estacada, take that and park on the left after 200 yds or so. There are multiple paths which lead down to the hole. Take care pretty steep, and slippery rock at the bottom by the water.
You might be able to bank hike it from the launch, only been once and used the above route.

Hey fisch, how many peeps show up for the evening bite during the week?

Anybody got any eggs they want to share?

THANK YOU! Much appreciated....when I make it out there I'll be sure to post a report.

C
chodathug
fisch said:
Went again last night. 20 fisherman 1 fish. It is just sooo slow up there and I think I spent enough eggs and time trying. It's time to move on and try something else.

I made it out there too and saw all the nooky rolling around and jumping - (which was pretty amazing) I saw one fish that was so big it looked like a piece of furniture popping out of the river - but didn't see any action for all the rods out there. Should the bite be heatin up further along this month? Or is it be peak time now, and just slow?

Do guys ever have success with spinners or lures out there? It looks like a good place to toss some.

T
THE JEFF
You can catch fish there with spinners but I would stay well away from the bobber lobbers if you know whats good for ya. They are good guys but dont mess up thier way of doing things.