Chrome spin rod on a budget

N
nimzrock
I am getting back into chasing salmon and steelhead this year. I will be getting a spinning rod , but need "off"ers advice on length. I picked up my license at bimart today and took a peak , as combos are 25% off. I saw 7 - 7 1/2 -8 on up. I already have a nice baitcast setup so any advice will be appreciated
Thanx & Tight lines - Nimz :cool:

B
beaverfan
A lot of that will have to do with what style of fishing you plan on using it for and on what type of water. If you're going to use it on smaller water an 8ft might be long enough, if your going to be fishing the bigger rivers like the Clackamas then you might want to go a little larger.

M
metalmania
nimzrock said:
I am getting back into chasing salmon and steelhead this year. I will be getting a spinning rod , but need "off"ers advice on length. I picked up my license at bimart today and took a peak , as combos are 25% off. I saw 7 - 7 1/2 -8 on up. I already have a nice baitcast setup so any advice will be appreciated
Thanx & Tight lines - Nimz :cool:

I'd spend a little more and get a berkely im8 rod, as most of there rod/reel combo's are cheap and not well built. I'm not saying can't fish with them but you'll be a lot happier with the higher quality rod. I'd go 8 1/2-9 ft for drifting, and 9 1/2 for bobber/jig.

A
adambomb
I picked up a 7' Lamiglas this spring for tossin spinners and the occasional small drift. Its actually a rod designed for bass, but its rated 6-12lb test and has met all of my steelhead spinning needs. Oh yeah, and it was only $79 on sale at fishmans. If you plan on doing much bobber fishing just remember one thing, GO LONG!! One of the keys to bobber fishing is keeping the length of your line as short and straight as possible throughout the drift. The easiest way to do this is to use a long pole, I wouldn't recommend a bobber rod under 9'. Trust me, I've been bobber fishing with an 8' rod, and I just picked up a 10'6" G Loomis rod last night that I'm dyin to break in!

B
bigsteel
I went down and tried the lamiglas X 96 JS,,,,i love the feell of that rod....thats what im getting when i get some money...I too have 7 foot for spinners and some drifting....

F
Fishtopher
9'+ for driftin', and at least 9'6 if your gonna toss a bobber. IMO.

'Nother vote for the Berkley IM8 too.

M
meluvtrout
If you're on a budget go for lifetime warranty! Shimano Cennan rods are on sale(discontinued) pretty much everywhere... I'd get a 9'6" for float or drift action. Some guys prefer 8'6" for creeks and smaller streams, I personally think with a 9' or longer rod it is much easier to mend the line...