Choosing oar length for my aluminum

C
cookshot
I just bought an aluminum 12' flat bottom boat, and until I get it licensed, I'm going to need to be rowing around. However, I'm not sure how big of oars I should buy. I feel a little silly asking this question because I actually have quite a bit of experience rowing, I just have never had to buy oars. The boat is 3' 10" wide where the oar locks are at and somewhere around 2 feet deep. Thanks in advance!

J
JeannaJigs
Well I would say 7 ft. I have a fifteen foot driftboat, aprox 52 inch wide bottom, and I run 9 foot oars

C
Combat Chuck
yup... 7-8, probably 7. My 12' drift boat had 8' oars that worked well and was slightly higher and wider than yours.

G
GDBrown
For traditional rowing there is a standard formula that can help. I have included a link to a page that may help. I personally find that where I am rowing has a lot to do with what feels right with oars. If I'm in the drift boat and the river is narrow and fast I like shorter oars. If I'm on the lake I like them a little longer. Just some food for thought. Anyway here is the link:

Wooden Rowing Oars - Shaw & Tenney

M
mlw
It sounds about the same size as my little drifter, my oars are 8'-8" - I would imagine 8,-6"" or 9' would work fine - but it does depend also on seat height, oarlock height, etc.
Michael

C
cookshot
Wow, a lot of info in a short amount of time. Sounds like 8 foot is what I'll get. Thanks!