choking bass

D
dawgchaw
This is a fishing story. It is true. My dad and I were fishing up a finger of Shasta lake. He hooked a small (2 lbs?) largemouth bass. It broke his line and got off. We fished to the end of the finger and headed back. We got to the spot where he lost his fish and belly up was a bass. We scoped it up. It had my dads rubber worm in its mouth. Can a bass choke? Why was it belly up? Can a fish choke?

M
Metz84
Fish can choke if they eat food that's too big. It doesn't stop breathing, but it can't eat & starves. I think its internal damage, some previous condition or disease. Did your worm hook threw both lips completely closing the mouth?

D
dawgchaw
The hook was deep in the mouth of that fish. About 10 minutes had passed from when his line broke. It may have bled out?

F
Finneus Polebender
dawgchaw said:
The hook was deep in the mouth of that fish. About 10 minutes had passed from when his line broke. It may have bled out?

Very possible but could have been other factors , I worry about artificial baits harming a fish if it busts you off and swallows it ! hence 20lb braid tied to the toys the kids can choke on LMAO. Have seemed to notice that a night crawler along with other natural/live baits get swallowed deep for the ol gut hook.

C
colbypearson
dawgchaw said:
This is a fishing story. It is true. My dad and I were fishing up a finger of Shasta lake. He hooked a small (2 lbs?) largemouth bass. It broke his line and got off. We fished to the end of the finger and headed back. We got to the spot where he lost his fish and belly up was a bass. We scoped it up. It had my dads rubber worm in its mouth. Can a bass choke? Why was it belly up? Can a fish choke?

they can and it was probubly a spotted bass not a largemouth shasta is made up of i would say 90% spots 9% smallmouth and 1% or less largemouth probubly less, spots and largemouth look super similar though especially when theyre 3lbs or less

C
colbypearson
i have hooked bass on spinnerbaits and certain hooks that have a really wide gap the hook can go striaght up into the roof of the bass" mouth into the brain area i have brought them up nearly dead before

F
Finneus Polebender
Have never had a floater been lucky!