Choice of wood.

Gunga

Gunga

Hey fellow OFFers i was wondering what wood i should use for carving out my own bass plugs. I was thinking balsa pine or bass wood. Any info would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Tyler:)

G

GungasUncle

Balsa is the most commonly used wood for plug making - but you can use harder woods, especially if you're going for sinking plugs. Cedar wouldn't be a bad choice. I don't think I'd use pine.

Gunga

Gunga

Awsome thanks mark. My drafting teacher was going to go out buy me a chunk of wood for me to carve them out of. I was wondering if i would be able to use the shop to carve them out at. Oh and i can't remember if grandpa has a bandsaw or not.

troutdude

troutdude

Make 'em pretty and sellable on the open market...make them out of Myrtlewood. Or, open up a beachfront store. <kidding>

Hope they turn out the way you want, and that they get you some feesh.

B

Bad Tuna

Balsa is far too soft. The eyelets for hooks and your line will tear right out of balsa if you don't wire them. Try google???

Gunga

Gunga

Im doing both wooden and molded plastic lures. The 3D printer at my school is down so my teacher wants me carve some out while we wait for the parts to get here.

Q

qwapaw

The old lure makers used mostly White Cedar. Now it is called Alaskan White Cedar. I think it is the best all around wood. One thing with cedar, do a good paint job so you don't get sap bleed through. A good primer is very important. Good luck, Qwapaw

Top Bottom