-Chinook take down clip (Heartbreak)-

S
steelhead_stalkers
Here is a short clip of a hard take down we had last time out for tidewater Chinook! I hate when they do this. :mad:

[YOUTUBE]fz6KQqVULq4[/YOUTUBE]

Good times! :lol:

T
Troutier Bassier
That looks very familiar. :(

F
fisch
Bummer! That fish needs a timeout for such a bad strike. I mean come on what do they teach in chinook schools these days. He was not listening when the teacher was repeating - "Make sure you swallow that sharp trebble hook!"

H
hawgslayer
Had on do the exact same thing friday afternoon about 1/2 mile above where you guys were....dang fish !!!

T
Thuggin4Life
Man i have my fair share of those. cool to be able to see it on video though.

B
Bucknasty
What i think is so funny is we all must have been programmed to say the same thing when that happens, I can hear those exact words coming out of my mouth and everyone i fish with! Thats awesome you got that on film, Cheers Bob

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah, its sure sucks but its fun to see it. That was a pretty violent one! Next time he will not be so lucky. :D

J
jeffcycles
Man, I just love that rush! I had a similar experience from the bank on Wednesday morning. Swinging a spinner and at the total end of its drift a coho smashed it. I didn't even get to lift the rod tip. I saw a flash before the hit, the drag went screaming, I saw it roll, and then as soon as I lifted the rod it was gone.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
How much video did you have to burn up before you got that?!
That's the best part to see is the take down!

C
cobias
Nice !

Nice !

A guide told me once that when fish come into a narrow tidewater area they will actually act the same way as they do in the upper river....they will push in at the very head of tide, find a slot to hang out then turn around and face the current. On both incoming and outgoing tides. He says that in those situations, waiting to set the hook is not a good idea. He said when you are trolling with the current your herring/spinner is actually coming twards the fishs face and they reach up and grab it. He said extending the length of your trailing hook on your mooching rig, using a salmon snubber and setting the hook fast is the way to go. He said the places where they tap, tap, tap then take are usually on slack tide, big bays ( like Till or Buoy 10 ) or the open ocean. It looked like that fish buried that rod. Just my two cents. can't wait to get after em with bobbers in a few weeks.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Thats some good info! We were just talking about that the other day thinking that they probably face the current since they always are fighting current in the ocean. That makes perfect sense. Thanks