Chinook salmon sushi

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I sliced up a beautiful 12 ounce chunk of raw Chinook fillet from a fish we caught in September and we had it with sushi rice and dry seaweed, Asian veggie side dish and a nice Pinot Grigio...very tasty.

I did take the extra precaution of deep freezing the fish to meet the FDA guidelines: at least 15 hours at -31F. I filled a container with 4 pounds (six 12oz chunks) of already frozen and vacuum sealed Chinook fillet and surrounded it with 10# of dry ice, inserted a thermometer that went to -40F and stuck that in our chest freezer. Checking the temp, it stayed below -40F for about 24hours. so good to go and 5 more of these 'special' chunks in the freezer for future sushi dinners...cheers, roger

B
Bhaley85
Sound excellent. Although I dont tend to eat salmon raw. I might have to give that a go with my first springer next year.

E
eugene1
Sounds yummy. I like it at sushi restaurants.

I have only made raw salmon once which was when I lived in San Francisco. I didn't know about the freezing precaution, and a Japanese girl I worked with made a bunch of sushi with one of my fresh-never frozen- ocean caught nooks. It was good and we didn't seem to get sick (I hope anyway).

Best,

jamisonace
jamisonace
I really like the sound of the combination you did there. I need to try it with the dry seaweed.

If I catch a super chrome salmon, some of it's getting eaten raw. Especially the little tidbits I cut from the skeleton. I don't bother freezing it, though I'm sure it's safer to do so.

I dip it in a soy/wasabi mix as sashimi or lay it on a ball of sushi rice and dip in said mixture.

For springer I'll flavor it with salt, pepper and butter and sear it on both sides or smoke at 200 degrees in the smoker for about 30 min before I dip.

I've never had a piece of raw salmon I didn't like.

R
Rain
For decades, raw fresh fish could be and was served in many restaurants in USA. But due to the risk of parasites and a few people getting sick, the FDA came up with the freezing precaution as a method to kill any parasites. The risk is pretty low but after reading about hookworms, I don't think I'll ever eat fresh raw fish again.

If anybody is interested, here is the FDA chapter about fish parasites and how to freeze/kill them: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceRegulation/UCM252393.pdf

Here is the full article on the subject matter: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/food/guidanceregulation/ucm251970.pdf
Table of contents is on page 5.
If you smoke fish, you may want to read chapter 13 for information about safe handling and storage of fish as to prevent toxins from forming (its a lengthy read)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the main concern for humans from eating carefully prepared salmon raw (meaning fish caught fresh and carefully cleaned to get say a block of beautiful fillet meat) seems to be the D. Latum tapeworm, the larvae of which can be in the flesh of any fish born in moving water or those that are predators of fish harboring the larvae...the larvae cannot be seen and can be in perfect looking, right out of the water salmon fillet meat...

Bears seem to play a key role in the cycle since they will consume the fish, get infected, and the eggs in their feces get back into the water and start the cycle over again...

although the risk does appear very low, doesn't sound like much fun to get one of these things...cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom