Chillin' at Barview!

B
beaverfan
Ok so to beat the heat tomorrow my girl and I are heading to Barview Jetty bright and early. I'm going to use Fishtopher's technique of a bobber, swivel, 3/4 oz weight, 7ft leader with sandshrimp. This will be my first time Jetty fishing so other than being incredibly careful is there anything else I should know? I'll have my camera so if the fish are willing should get some nice pics. Should I focus on the ocean side of the Jetty or what. I would like a shot at a ling but would also like to catch some Sea Perch and Rockfish.

F
Fishtopher
Ahh, I will be there tomorrow too, stayin' the week. Gotta get outta the heat!
No matter the info you find here, or anywhere else, I would stop and spend 5 dollars at Lysters(on the left, if youre northbound 101, on the north side of Garibaldi) and ask the lady about fishin the jetty, and she will gladly point you in the right direction, as she is in the know. Hopefully by the time I get there, you can show OFF your catch!

B
beaverfan
Thanks for the infor guys. I'm heading out now. I'll post pics when I get back. See ya out there Fistopher.

B
beaverfan
Well just got back, didn't get any pics cuz well I didn't have anything worthy of taking a picture of. Got to Barview at about 10:30 realized I left my tackle box with weights and bobbers in it at home. Today was just one of those days where nothing goes right. Tried Barview with inadequate tackle for about an hour got a few bites but no hook ups. Then we went to Garabaldi crabbing pier and tossed our lines in and caught dozens of tiny Sculpin. My girlfriend thought it was fun but to me it was not that great. Left there about 4 and headed home stopped on the Wilson and snuck up on a hole. There were at least four real nice steelies. First cast hooked one. A couple nice runs and he jumps and spits my spinner back at me. While I was fighting it 4 other people came down and pretty much crowded me outta my hole. I would love to claim a skunk today but my hands reek like Sculpin. I did keep a couple and fileted them up for Searun Cutthroat bait. Gonna try the Nehalem tidewater hopefully this next week.

Y
youngbuck307
Fishtopher said:
Lysters(on the left, if youre northbound 101, on the north side of Garibaldi) and ask the lady about fishin the jetty, and she will gladly point you in the right direction, as she is in the know. Hopefully by the time I get there, you can show OFF your catch!

Yes she knows what she is doing for sure!!! I went down there last year for my birthday and had no clue what to do so i seen i bait shop and just thought i would stop and ask...... seen it was a old lady and thought crap:rolleyes: she wont know anything but asked anyway. and boy did she know what she was talking about caught just about one of everything. jetty fishing is one of the best when it comes to betting the heat!

B
beaverfan
Ya she's great, so helpful and friendly. Even gave me a little bag of ice to keep the sandshrimp cool. Saw the for sale sign out there and asked her about it and I guess she's retiring and selling the place.

Y
youngbuck307
o what that sucks!!!! I hope someone picks it up and keeps it how it was.... her bait is always freash. and only place i know that does the bag of ice with it!!! (she did it for me to and just thought it was the coolest lol)

A
Anyfishisfine
beaverfan said:
Well just got back, didn't get any pics cuz well I didn't have anything worthy of taking a picture of. Got to Barview at about 10:30 realized I left my tackle box with weights and bobbers in it at home. Today was just one of those days where nothing goes right. Tried Barview with inadequate tackle for about an hour got a few bites but no hook ups. Then we went to Garabaldi crabbing pier and tossed our lines in and caught dozens of tiny Sculpin. My girlfriend thought it was fun but to me it was not that great. Left there about 4 and headed home stopped on the Wilson and snuck up on a hole. There were at least four real nice steelies. First cast hooked one. A couple nice runs and he jumps and spits my spinner back at me. While I was fighting it 4 other people came down and pretty much crowded me outta my hole. I would love to claim a skunk today but my hands reek like Sculpin. I did keep a couple and fileted them up for Searun Cutthroat bait. Gonna try the Nehalem tidewater hopefully this next week.

Sounds like a good time anyway, and you learned a few things for the next trip out, like bringing your lead :)

So for fishing off the jetty, would a steelhead rod and reel be good enough? I'd hate to bring it near salt water though.

Y
youngbuck307
Anyfishisfine said:
So for fishing off the jetty, would a steelhead rod and reel be good enough? I'd hate to bring it near salt water though.
i would say if its just a steelhead rod probably not but if it as some back bone you would be ok..... i had mine down there must of had a chip in it because it snaped way to easy. just watch putting your rod straight up when when taking off the fish the lead and fish could break the tip!

F
Fishtopher
I rigged up my 8' 6" ugly stick, and an old reel with 30lb braid main, and 20lb Big Game leader, and 4ft 20lb big game dropper with two knots tied in the middle of the dropper(so my dropper line breaks when i need it to) to a railroad spike this last time out, and it worked well. I hear tale of guys catchin coho off the jetty, but ive never ever seen it happen. But, there were no shortage of Coho at the fish cleaning station in the campground.I looked for ya out there beaverfan, but i didn't get out there until 1pm. And guys were lookin at me kinda funny when i kept on yellin'; BEAVERFAN!....My guess is a few of em out there were NOT beaver fans....;)