Chickahominy Reservioir

Irishrover
Irishrover
Chickahominy is just off hwy 20 east of Hampton and west of Riley north of Wagontire Moutain. It's 491 acres with a max depth of about 30 feet. It's a put and take fishery. The fish grow quickly out there. Lots of bugs to feed on. If you like trees you need to bring some with you because the place doesn't have any thing taller than sage brush. It's a good pontoon type lake or small boats. Great for fly fishing with black leaches or black wooly buggers. It is also legal to use bait. The best time to fish is just after ice off, sometime in March usually and into the spring. During the summer the water goes down and the place is hot! Not hot for fishing I'm talking temperature here. There are camp grounds there but be ready for wind! It is an interesting place to fish and you really feel like you are out in the wide open spaces. Almost forgot it is a rainbow trout fishery and there are some lunkers in there. The picture is taken on an arm off the main lake

Last edited:
R
Rocky Maley
Irish you hit it on the head. I love fishing this place. My parents live in Burns so we fish it allot in the spring. And i use to live in Riley on Silver creek but the bad thing was the 2 years i lived there there was no fish in it it was dry.

My favorite way to fish it is wading out and casting back towards the shore. I fish in about 2 feet of water using a cronimidge pattern with a strike indicator about a foot from the fly. if not working then i will strip leach patterns.

Irish ever fished Mann lake? I fish it the same way with great success. and when the wind is blowing 40 mph go to the up wind side of the lake put your pontoon in with a bed sheet in hand hold over head let the wind catch it like a sail and see how fast you can cross the lake without crashing. big fun

Rocky

Shoot posted wrong pic. the second pic are the cronimidge pattern i use a real fish catcher

Last edited by a moderator:
Irishrover
Irishrover
I've never made it over to Mann Lake. I've looked at it from the top of the steens when I was over fishing Fish lake. That's too funny the thing with the bed sheet. Bet you can scoot across that lake. I hear there are some nice Lahontan cuttthroats in there. I made some black beatle patterns for Chickahominy. The last time I was there I saw a lot of them in the water and thought I'd give it a try.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Woah! Crayfish flies! With claws! Amazing! :shock::clap:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Schooler check out Northeat section North Fork John Day River. You can see how Rocky makes them.