Chetco River, need info

D
dmarc85
I'm moving down to Brookings, OR next week and I plan investigate the Chetco River. I'm interested in what kinds of fish I can expect to stalk on the regular :D

Anyone have experience on the Chetco? Stories? Suggestions?

P
phish-on
according to oregon fishing report. chetco is closed from 101 up

D
dmarc85
I noticed that too. I guess I'll have to travel to the Rogue or surf fish!

H
Hawk
dmarc85 said:
I noticed that too. I guess I'll have to travel to the Rogue or surf fish!

You can also fish the Smith River or

Lake Selmac Resort

catch some biggun Lunkers

:D

C
Combat Chuck
I kayaked it several times... that was fun ;)

W
willierower
From Nov 7 through late March it is Fall Salmon until mid to late December and Steelhead mostly from Jan. 1 through March with the best Months being Jan. and Feb. The Salmon were pretty much a no show last year and so far it is not looking good this year. You also have the Rogue and Elk in driving distance also the Smith in California Just across the boarder.

R
Razz
Elk estuary is FULL of salmon,maybe a little rain today.

H
HAMBONE
Hope lots of fisherman are not a problem for you. Its a very popular river. Keep and eye on the regs as its closed now until the rains come and ODFW open it.

H

W
willierower
HAMBONE said:
Hope lots of fisherman are not a problem for you. Its a very popular river. Keep and eye on the regs as its closed now until the rains come and ODFW open it.

H
And that is a very good thing. The snaging has been very bad in years past. But it would be nice if the ODFW would do the low water closing at a flow that traps the fish in the deeper holes like they do on the Smith River.

R
Razz
Closed until further notice because of poor salmon return. 11/09/09

Last edited: