Chest pack or over the shoulder pack?

S
spmpdr
I would like to get everyones opinion on what they use to store there gear and why the prefer one to the other. Also any good recomendations on either would be great.

troutdude
troutdude
I carry my gear in a multipocketed belly/fanny pack. My hands are free, and it goes where I go which keeps me agile and able to cover lots of water.

O
OnSafari
I have a nice over the shoulder pack. It is light wieght, small but still holds 3 thin tackle boxes. 2 sets of pliers, hand warmers with a bit of extra room. It is about 11 inches long and 5 or so inches wide. I dont like it much, I would prefer to switch to a fanny style pack. I dont like carriing the bag on my shoulder when walking out and through the brush. Shoulder pack is nice because, you can drop it off yourself quickly with one movement. As far as not feeling weighed down or inhibited, i feel a fanny pack would be better. JMHO

R
rippin fish lips
I got an over the shoulder pack. The vest with a lot of pockets on the front. I dont fly fish, im a hardware fishermen and i wear it when im chasing summer steelhead here in town. It works great!! so much better then carrying around a tackle box!! hands are always free and u dont gotta worry about forgetting anything on the water cuz its already on u!

troutdude
troutdude
I put my fanny/belly pack on and just go. All of my gear is right in front of me at all times. It moves w/ me hiking to get to the spots, and then moving to cover the water. And it doesn't come OFF, until it goes back in the trunk when I'm done.

I also don't have to worry about taking it OFF, and leaving it behind somewhere either. It truly can't be beat in my book.

R
rippin fish lips
troutdude said:
I put my fanny/belly pack on and just go. All of my gear is right in front of me at all times. It moves w/ me hiking to get to the spots, and then moving to cover the water. And it doesn't come OFF, until it goes back in the trunk when I'm done.

I also don't have to worry about taking it OFF, and leaving it behind somewhere either. It truly can't be beat in my book.

same with the vest!! :p

E
eggs
A vest is best imo.. tons of storage if hiking, light and don't notice you have it on when you don't pack it with stuuf to hike..

Y
Yohan
I have a cloth Filson chest pack and it is awesome! Because it is cloth, it has a small profile and is not as cumbersome as most chest packs, which makes it comfortable and versatile. It also fits everything I need (even a couple beers in the back). I only use my chest pack in the colder months because it can get pretty hot and uncomfortable in warmer weather. Also, in the colder months I’m mostly winter steelhead fishing and usually need to carry more “stuff” than my pockets can handle. In the warmer months I just use a lanyard and carry small fly boxes in my shirt pockets (other stuff like split shot or leaders I carry in my pants/shorts pockets). If I’m going on a long hike or something where I need to take a lunch/beers or multiple rods, I take a backpack. I do prefer a chest pack over a backpack though because my things are more accessable and I'm not very keen on the fanny packs or vests just because they are uncomfortable for me, even though both are very handy ways to carry gear.

It’s mostly a personal preference thing because I don’t think one way of carrying gear is any better than the next. It’s just whatever makes you most comfortable. Over the years I found that I really don’t like to carry too much stuff (I used to carry my whole house with me), so less is better for me and I just carry the essentials.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
rippin fish lips said:
same with the vest!! :p

Quite right (I didn't see your message, until after I wrote mine).

And there's no room for beers in my belly pack. Doesn't matter to me, as I don't imbibe. But, if you do...that may be a consideration.

I also agree, that it's about what allows you to take the amount of gear that you want...and be comfortable with it.

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
eggs said:
A vest is best imo.. tons of storage if hiking, light and don't notice you have it on when you don't pack it with stuuf to hike..

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i actually started hooking into more steelies/fish in general with the vest because its easy access and you dont gotta go back to the bank everytime and spook any fish that are near youuuu!

B
benkearney
I have a William Joseph fanny pack that also has a strap so you can carry it over the shoulder (the belt straps tuck in). I really like it because it is easy and out of the way worn around waist, but in higher water, I can sling it over the shoulder and get it higher up. William Joseph is nice because it has magnetic closures instead of zippers. I am famous for forgetting to zip up a pocket (to excited about getting back to fishing). The magnets snap close once you take the stuff out.

S
Sinkline
I only fish Stillwater so I have no use for a vest or a pack. Pockets in my tube, or small gear bag in the boat.

Randy

B
bigsteel
i carry 3 fly boxes,they get stuffed in the front of my waders..no pack for me

R
rippin fish lips
bigsteel said:
i carry 3 fly boxes,they get stuffed in the front of my waders..no pack for me

i got 3 boxes for my lures in the summer, and i put them in the front pocket of my waders to lol.
That pocket comes in handy.

S
spmpdr
troutdude said:

Do you have to worry about it getting wet when wading in the water? I carry my cell phone with me for a camera and would hate to get it wet.

R
redhawk50
For steelhead fishing it all goes in my jacket pockets or if I am walking a decent amount I have a waterproof (Simms) hip/fanny pack.

For trout fishing I tend to park in one spot and then wonder for the day. So I have a chestpack and backpack combo. I can cram a lot of stuff in it and it is all out of my way and slim profile for bushwhacking. I really like the flip out foam "shelf" on my chest pack. When I have to switch flies I change them over that and don't have to worry about dropping flies into the drink. I love it and would never go back to a vest again. Only issue I am experimenting with getting it just right is wear to attach my net.

troutdude
troutdude
spmpdr said:
Do you have to worry about it getting wet when wading in the water? I carry my cell phone with me for a camera and would hate to get it wet.

I don't wade with it...not that deep anyway. It does, though, get wet when it rains. I don't carry my cell phone when I fish streams. But if you did, it would get wet.

S
Sinkline
spmpdr said:

That reminds me of a story. :lol: Way back in my youth when I did fish the "D" a little, I carried an Olympus XA camera. It was the best little pack camera (pre digital) going for hunting and fishing use. I remember one day I was wading really deep when all at once I started to hear this high pitched tone. I thought to myself, that sounds just like the battery check tone my camera makes............, what the heck.....!@?#!*~! :lol: Yep, did just like you described above and ruined my camera! :lol:

Randy

M
Markcanby
That is the exact reason I got a waterproof camera. I tend to drop thing in the water.

R
rippin fish lips
Markcanby said:
That is the exact reason I got a waterproof camera. I tend to drop thing in the water.

Im always dropping some sort of thing in the water when i fish.I have dropped my cell phone in the river about 10 times!! and it still works lol! not to mention i dropped 2 lures today in deep water :(