Chehalem paddle launch

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Does anyone know if it's possible to bring a small kayak trailer down to the water's edge at the Chehalem paddle launch? Could i back the trailer down into the water a foot or two without getting stuck? There isn't actually a boat ramp there, right? Wondering if it is open year round as well. Thanks for any info!

F
fishtales
I think it is open to rentals during the summer but it can be accessed year round. You might be able to back in with a truck and get out with out getting stuck. I have thought about it but never have. it is a pretty steep grade.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Thx, Fishtales. Looks like a good place to launch and then head up to mouth of Yamhill.

Reactions: fishtales
K
kenr74
You can get about 10 yards from the water and still be on flat ground. There is a gravel section down to the water but I wouldn't back anything down it. I have seen some good size holes left by people trying to get out of there.

After yesterday I was looking at the easiest way to the where the Yamhill meets the Willamette. Dayton ramp is ok but a long stretch of water that isn't moving. Chehelem is easy and close for me but around a 2 mile up river trip. Depending on the current it could be tough. I rode over to the San Salvador park this morning and it has a decent launch and is just up river from where the Yamhill joins the Willamette. I'm going to try that one next trip and see if that is any better.

Reactions: fishtales
G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
kenr74 said:
You can get about 10 yards from the water and still be on flat ground. There is a gravel section down to the water but I wouldn't back anything down it. I have seen some good size holes left by people trying to get out of there.

After yesterday I was looking at the easiest way to the where the Yamhill meets the Willamette. Dayton ramp is ok but a long stretch of water that isn't moving. Chehelem is easy and close for me but around a 2 mile up river trip. Depending on the current it could be tough. I rode over to the San Salvador park this morning and it has a decent launch and is just up river from where the Yamhill joins the Willamette. I'm going to try that one next trip and see if that is any better.

I never noticed San Salvador Park on google maps before. Does it actually have a boat ramp for launching? I can't find much info on the park online regarding park hours, day use fees, etc. Anyway, you are right. San Salvador would be a great spot to launch from because its only 1.5 miles from the mouth of the yamhill.

I may try to fish the molalla at canby community park in the morning. Afterwards I'll drive over to san salvador park and check it out. Thanks for the tip!

K
kenr74
It does have a ramp but I think it was all dirt. I was on my motorcycle and just did a drive by. It is just a dirt turn around with a little parking. Nothing there really other than a place to put the boat in. I would think with a 4x4 it wouldn't be any problem getting up the ramp. Probably wouldn't need 4wd but if it was wet you might want it.

K
kenr74
Follow up on the San Salvador launch. Easy to get in with a nice ramp for kayaks/small boats. The river is moving pretty fast from there down to the Yamhill. I had to break out my GPS to make sure I was at the Yamhill since I got there faster than expected. I didn't have any luck at all last weekend but had the river to myself for the first couple hours.

I wouldn't recommend trying to go back up river unless you really like to paddle fast.

F
fishtales
Sounds like a good time. That is one of the toughest launches we use and it is always tough to get the boat back on the trailer due to the current.
There is a big gravel bar during the summer a few bends up river from San Salvidor that has car access but no launch. It might add a little bit of time to your paddle if you started up there.

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
kenr74 said:
Follow up on the San Salvador launch. Easy to get in with a nice ramp for kayaks/small boats. The river is moving pretty fast from there down to the Yamhill. I had to break out my GPS to make sure I was at the Yamhill since I got there faster than expected. I didn't have any luck at all last weekend but had the river to myself for the first couple hours.

I wouldn't recommend trying to go back up river unless you really like to paddle fast.

Thanks for the great followup info. I hadn't realized the Willie flows that fast up there. Any estimates on river speed? 2 mph or so? Google maps shows some great side channels upriver from there that might be holding some bass.

bass
bass
Yes, thanks for that information. I would hate to launch my kayak their and not be able to get back upstream to the launch.

Does anyone know if the river slows down later in the summer (should be any time now) when PGE puts the flash boards in at the falls and raise the level a couple of feet?

F
fishtales
Any part of the river up past the yamhill is going to be tough to paddle back (to San Slavidor launch) because of the current and more exposed gravel bars and shallow water as summer continues. Some of the gravel bars will become big enough to park a plane.

From what I read, the flashboards are seasonal two foot high and removable. They only influence the water depths a few miles upstream. It sounds like a good idea. Maybe they could do something similar at Hagg Lake so that we have more water in times of drought.

bass
bass
fishtales said:
Any part of the river up past the yamhill is going to be tough to paddle back (to San Slavidor launch) because of the current and more exposed gravel bars and shallow water as summer continues. Some of the gravel bars will become big enough to park a plane.

From what I read, the flashboards are seasonal two foot high and removable. They only influence the water depths a few miles upstream. It sounds like a good idea. Maybe they could do something similar at Hagg Lake so that we have more water in times of drought.

In looking at the river levels the depth jumps up a few feet at least up through Newberg. I was curious just how high up there was an impact. I certainly know that at the mouth of the Tualatin there is a big impact on current.

F
fishtales
That is interesting. I'm not sure, I guess Newberg could be influenced by it. The high water could also be explained by a combination of recent warm weather in higher elevations and recent snow melt which can cause flooding.
I have never been to the Tualatin but hope to check it out one of these days.

bass
bass
fishtales said:
That is interesting. I'm not sure, I guess Newberg could be influenced by it. The high water could also be explained by a combination of recent warm weather in higher elevations and recent snow melt which can cause flooding.
I have never been to the Tualatin but hope to check it out one of these days.

I was not clear. The jump in level is an annual thing. You can see it by looking at the river levels over past years.