Check the water levels before you go!

M
mezzfin
Stopped by the Crooked on my way back from Bend this week, only to come upon a construction project IN THE RIVER. Not quite sure what they were doing (I think reinforcing the bank up against the road), but they had diverted the flow into a narrow channel. How could they do that? Easy: they've squeezed Bowman Dam closed and lowered the river level to just 75 cfs! Consider the average for this time of year is 105-110 cfs, and you can see how low the flow really is. Good news is this concentrates the fishies into the deeper spots, but the bad news is it also concentrates the fishers into those same spots. Almost thought I was back on the Sandy except that everyone was over-dressed and tossing size 18 dainty gear :lol: Nonetheless, when the hatch popped the fishing was great, but I'd recommend checking water levels before I he'd over again.

J
JeannaJigs
Oooo I like low skinny water. Too bad it's gonna snow, haven't bought chains yet or I'd be over there next week...Oh who am I kidding, it's salmon season! I'll be over there in december though.

L
Later, Peter
I realize this is a delayed response but:
the "powers that be" took out the lower irrigation dam. (it was kind of smallish) but it did change the flow of that area of the river... (however, the river's levels are quite low now & the weather has brought in fishing folks from all over the place ... mostly blanking)

P
perfectg03
Go upriver, fishing isn't even good down that low. And blanking? I find that hard to believe as I was there for 3 days last weekend and caught 50 each day, that's 150 fish for just me in 3 days, and my buddies and our girlfriends did just as well.

There is no blanking on the crooked. Too many fish per mile to have a blank day. Try swinging a little black bugger with a green soft hackle trailer.

Every time I fish the crooked I fish to 50. Have yet to come up short.

L
Later, Peter
hmmm. I guess posts like that are why it's so crowded... (funny, too, since I live here & fish the Crooked River about 250 days a year... probably why I don't know stuff)

Top Bottom