Check out this weird bass I caught!

D

dmarc85

Stupid lookin bass! Faut like a p**** too.

pikeminnow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1bigfish

I catch those things all the time while bassin. They make great bait for crabbing or catfishing. Some of them actually fight great for the first 10 seconds but then just give up.

F

FernRidgeChamp

What's bad about the pike minnow? J/C?
FRC

T

Troutier Bassier

They are Native,
They can Swallow stuff thats Bigger then them. and if its in there mouth they Digest it making them a Bigger smolt predator.

but Bass, Walleye, Sturgeon, are also Predators.

F

FernRidgeChamp

What's the fish that they wipe out lakes for?

F

FishSchooler

They are Native,
They can Swallow stuff thats Bigger then them. and if its in there mouth they Digest it making them a Bigger smolt predator.

but Bass, Walleye, Sturgeon, are also Predators.

They can't swallow something bigger then them. Try swallowing something that's bigger than your mouth. It just doesn't work.

D

dmarc85

reading this thread is like this now ---> :wall:

J

JAYDEE

Tui chubs, which are also native to some waters in Oregon.

Im pretty sure tui chubs arn't native they were introduced illegaly to any water they are in in oregon same with stickleback(at least in the cental lakes)

T

Troutier Bassier

Ouch!
Sticklebacks Hurt!
At Chinook Landing, When the Water Dropped there was about 1000 Minnows in small puddles. There was Sticklebacks, Chubs, Pikeminnow. And there was a Smallmouth Bass in the Puddle, A good 12 Incher eating some of the Minnows.

C

chris61182

Im pretty sure tui chubs arn't native they were introduced illegaly to any water they are in in oregon same with stickleback(at least in the cental lakes)

You'd be well served to double check that, again. The reason they were illegally introduced is because they're the natural forage of large trout in many rivers and as such made excellent bait.

What causes problems is they tend to not be native to lakes where the longer warm water season allows their population to explode combined with a lack of their natural piscivorous trout helping to control their population.

But native to some watersheds they are, undesirable in others they also are; the two aren't mutually exclusive.

J

JAYDEE

I was talking about lakes mostly. I am not sure about rivers but I know that they were used for bait in like craine prarie,east lake, wikkiup, diamond lake, and many other elite fisheries and they were introduced illegaly and have hurt some great fisheries. Thats all i was trying to say.

Last edited:
F

fourgotten

But don't lots of other things? You cannot eat a pikeminnow I take it. Are they native?

You certainly can eat pikeminnow... won't hurt you at all. They are native, but with the reduced salmon populations (hmmm.... wonder why that is...) they have been of concern because of their propensity for eating salmon smolts. So now we have a bounty on them in some waterways. Damn, we're good at screwing up fish populations. /SOAPBOX

Top Bottom