Check out this BIG Pikeminnow

D
dmarc85
Nailed him, dragging a worm on the bottom of the Tualatin River in pitch black. Nice fight!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i811.photobucket.com\/albums\/zz33\/dmarc85\/IMG_1369.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Troutier Bassier
Haha, Good 'ol Pikeminner.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ever eat one?

Ever eat one?

dmarc85;
That is a bigun! I know this might be a "dumb" question,but humor me please. ;) Does anyone eat these goofy looking fish? I usually use them for fertilizer myself. But there must be other uses for them. Just curious. :think: Some people eat carp...

T
TTFishon
Raincatcher said:
dmarc85;
That is a bigun! I know this might be a "dumb" question,but humor me please. ;) Does anyone eat these goofy looking fish? I usually use them for fertilizer myself. But there must be other uses for them. Just curious. :think: Some people eat carp...

I ate one once and they're not bad if you like white meat. It wasn't much different than bass. They're bony though.

1bigfish
Raincatcher said:
But there must be other uses for them.

Best crab bait I have ever used and I have tried everything from salomon heads to mink. I also use them as cut bait for catfishing. And yes the are very boney.

Nice catch dmarc85. I have had some that fight great for the first 15 seconds or so but have yet to have one put up much of a fight longer then that, they tend to give up quickly. Glad that one gave you a nice fight.

F
FishSchooler
We'll eat any fish that doesn't look hard to deal with. We ate a few from the tualatin without knowing of the warnings about the BG algae. :rolleyes::shock:

Bony fish? Never heard of em. We never fillet our fish, and we love to eat shad.:D

D
dmarc85
Raincatcher said:
dmarc85;

This pikeminnow was tempting to cook up. It was really fat and heavy. Probably full of salmon eggs ;) If this fish came out of a cleaner river, I'd probably try cooking it up. The Tualatin looks pretty nast. I've never heard of anyone eating them tho.

I wish I would have known that they make nice cutbait and crab bait. I caught a nice yellow bullhead in the same spot I caught this pikeminnow. I'm also moving to Brookings in a week and I'm planning on doing some crabbing...hmm...maybe I can go pull that pikeminnow out of my dumpster.

T
Troutier Bassier
The only good thing I like to eat is Peamouth/Chub.
I Gut them and cut there Heads Off, And I make a BIG Cut in the Stomach, I take a Container and Fill the Bottom with Salt, Put salt on the inside of the Fish, on the Top and Bottom and Lay it on the Container, Do this to about 5 Peamouth and Leave it for a few Days, After all the Juice is Gone. Take them out and Lay them in the Sun to Dry, when they are dry, take a Piece of MEat and Eat it,

Peamouth Jerky.

S
steelhead1
TB,that sounds truly NASTY!ECK!:D

T
TyHarp
tualatin pikes

tualatin pikes

yeah i went yesterday and caught some pikes. i wish i could get the pic off my phone. id say it was at least double that size. didn't look good though. had some red spots on it. probably parasites.

R
Rascal
I just got back from california and saw the biggest pikeminnow caught in my life it was about 35 inches or so maybe 8-10 pounds a true monster wish i had a pic... The guy that caught it thought he was pullin in a nice nook, it sure did fight like one

T
Troutier Bassier
Pshhhht, Yeah right.
Fighting like a Chinook?

R
Rascal
Troutier Bassier said:
Pshhhht, Yeah right.
Fighting like a Chinook?

Well it didn't fight quite as good as a chinook but based on its size and the level of fight it put on the guy thought it was one all the way till he got it up to the boat

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Pshhhht, Yeah right.
Fighting like a Chinook?

You havent even caught a nook that has enough room to run, how would you know?

T
Troutier Bassier
Lol, Wow. Never caught a 35. Mustve been eating a lot of Salmon Smolts or Shad.

And FS,
If I caught a Nook that Had Enough room To Run? Would it have Still almost Spooled me?
You werent There, You dont know how much "room" There was for it to run.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Lol, Wow. Never caught a 35. Mustve been eating a lot of Salmon Smolts or Shad.

And FS,
If I caught a Nook that Had Enough room To Run? Would it have Still almost Spooled me?
You werent There, You dont know how much "room" There was for it to run.

Just implying... you never know what a giant fish could do with a GIANT current in its hand in a huge river like the columbia... :shock: :whistle:

O
osmosis
quit acting like you're brother and sister you two!

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:

Just wait until I catch more coho than him... that'll keep his mouth shut. :D;)

T
TTFishon
TyHarp said:
yeah i went yesterday and caught some pikes. i wish i could get the pic off my phone. id say it was at least double that size. didn't look good though. had some red spots on it. probably parasites.

Why can't you get the pic off of your phone?

A
adambomb
osmosis said:

I was thinking more like sisters.........