Cheapo Rod

18406ej
18406ej
I picked up a Kunnan IM7 spinning rod at Bi-Mart to use as a fill-in until my broken Clarus rod is replaced by the factory. I don't know what the Kunnan's lifetime will be, but I have to tell you, at $27 it feels just like my Clarus. Anyone looking to get into angling at a low price should check these out.

T
Troutier Bassier
Never heard of it.
Can you tell me about it?
Line wieght length action etc. ?

18406ej
18406ej
Length is 8' 6", medium action, 8-17lb line, 1/4 to 3/4 oz weight. Great rod for my bubble and fly set-up, as the length allows me to run the fly way behind the bobber. I also like the longer length as I feel it improves the casting distance from my usual bank fishing spots. With a KastMaster attached I can cast about 3 or 4 miles, I think...

H
halibuthitman
now thats what I mean, only 3 or 4 miles... darn cheap rods!!!;)

T
Troutier Bassier
Ill start saving up. My Trusty Abu garcia broke so now I need a new rod.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Ill start saving up. My Trusty Abu garcia broke so now I need a new rod.

Not very trusty is it... :lol:

1aB
You found a Kunnan new in a store?!!

"The Kunnan Co. made fishing rods & blanks as well as golf club shafts. The factory was located in South Carolina. In the early 90's the factory burned down and the company did not rebuild -- so Kunnan rods got very hard to come by."

I had a coupla 8'6" "Competitor" models that served me well...a long time ago! I don't recall IM ratings being used 20 years ago on the vintage Kunnans, so its possible that the company, or at least the brand name, has been reborn.

1aB
OK, mystery solved. Apparently, new Kunnans are now available.

The vintage Kunnans were ahead of their time with stiff snappy actions but the limited technology of the day made 100% graphite rods brittle. I think I snapped the tips off of 2 out of the 3 I had.