Cheapest bulk spinners for Salmon?

L

love2fish

Hi guys,

Wondering where I can find the best deals on blue fox lures to catch Salmon? The sandy river seems to eat up these lures very quickly and it is getting expensive. Anyone know a good alternative to blue fox lures that is cheaper or a good place to find bulk blue fox lures?

Any suggestions would be awesome! It is starting to cost at least $10 per trip to go fishing because of all of the hardware I lose!

Chris

K

Kodiak

Banned User
When you buy cheap you get cheap! I would go see Bill at B.C.Angler and he can teach you to make them yourself..greatley reducing the cost, and get a better quality product.

F

FishSchooler

Hi guys,

Wondering where I can find the best deals on blue fox lures to catch Salmon? The sandy river seems to eat up these lures very quickly and it is getting expensive. Anyone know a good alternative to blue fox lures that is cheaper or a good place to find bulk blue fox lures?

Any suggestions would be awesome! It is starting to cost at least $10 per trip to go fishing because of all of the hardware I lose!

Chris

Cheapest way is... to make your own!

If you go to BC Angling post, it would cost you 61.80 for everthing but the hooks for 100 plain, basic, 1/8 oz bodied brass spinners without hooks. Go to fisherman's on the way back and grab bulk packs of size 4 trebs, you may get 100 spinners for around 80 cents each. 100 BF's would be $300+

L

love2fish

Cheapest way is... to make your own!

If you go to BC Angling post, it would cost you 61.80 for everthing but the hooks for 100 plain, basic, 1/8 oz bodied brass spinners without hooks. Go to fisherman's on the way back and grab bulk packs of size 4 trebs, you may get 100 spinners for around 80 cents each. 100 BF's would be $300+

Wow awesome. I will definitely be doing that. Sounds like an economical way to fill up my tackle box! BF's are EXPENSIVE!

Chris

F

FishSchooler

Forgot, that is in size 4 spinners with 100 prelooped .31 wires, 100 1/8 in brass beads, 100 size 3 clevises, and 100 1/8 oz bodies.

L

love2fish

great!

great!

Forgot, that is in size 4 spinners with 100 prelooped .31 wires, 100 1/8 in brass beads, 100 size 3 clevises, and 100 1/8 oz bodies.

awesome :)

I think that would last me a while! Maybe I'll put it on a Christmas wish list - worst thing is being out on the river and running out of lures!

Chirs

L

love2fish

Could you send me a photo of one you have assembled? It would be great to see the final product!

Chris

O

osmosis

with the #4 french blades the angling post has, you should use a #2 clevis.
B.C. angling post also offers a "bell body" spinner, the same type as the blue fox only cheaper and in most of our opinions better quality.
the sky's the limit as far as customization when you build them yourself, and they're cheaper.
If you don't see it on the wall or the racks there, they can paint it for you if you dont mind waiting a week or two - including your favorite plugs.
If you don't mind buying in bulk they can order things that they don't have in stock for you.

O

osmosis

april20351.jpg

april20350.jpg

O

osmosis

twisted these 80 or so up last night in about 25 minutes while watching tv

jigs002.jpg

#3's, #4's, #5's, and #6's plus some colorado's and clamshells.

L

love2fish

That gives me hope. I was thinking Blue Foxes were going to drain my pocket book...now I think I can put together a slew of them for cheap!

Chris

I

imfishing

Nice Spinners

Nice Spinners

I think those appliances look sweet.

Elegant...Yet Sophisticated.

Totally Sublime.

The wraps at the eyes are exquisite and professional looking.

I find my self curiously aroused by the gleam of the shiny metal objects set before me.

I am going to need some serious river time to re-focus and reflect.

Does the most distinguished "Twister" have a spinner twisting tool of choice?

The "Jedi Twister" must be very proud of his handiwork. Excellent.

Anyhow - Nice Work!

O

osmosis

can't tell if you're teasing me or complimenting, haha :)
I've made a spinner or two in the 15 years I've been making them, gotten those wire loops down to muscle memory..
I still prefer to use the leadmaster pliers for my own spinners, but when I worked in tackle manufacturing and had to make 1,500+ in a day I would use the Boggs tackle maker. The twistech makes too large of a diameter loop for my taste.

I

imfishing

I am incapable of teasing people [Unless your a flosser and I see you do it...]

No teasing... just admiration with some bantering words...Sorry.

No I feel you are just like me and say what you have to say on the river bank.

Much respect for your nimble twisting. It must take your hobby to the next level. You are serious and hard core and it shows.

Thank You Sir,

For me [personally] I get irritated and can't sleep if that little space at the top eye is more then .18750" +/-.00005". I feel it creates a bend point on my rig.

The Boggs Twister for me makes to long of a space. So I only get good results from the twist tech. I just live with the diameter of the eye - For Now. I am trying to design, using solidworks 2004, a better mouse trap if you will. I just need some down time to iron out some issues with the Boggs in model space.

Anyhow - Really Nice Work.

A

All Ford

On the subject of BC angling spinner parts, what is the notch on one end the body for? I twisted up some using parts I bought there and all the body's had a notch at one end. The body's I got from Fisherman's did not. I am using the brass body's tapered at both ends. I also noticed the through hole in the body was quite a bit larger than the others I have used. Just curious.

F

FishSchooler

with the #4 french blades the angling post has, you should use a #2 clevis.
B.C. angling post also offers a "bell body" spinner, the same type as the blue fox only cheaper and in most of our opinions better quality.
the sky's the limit as far as customization when you build them yourself, and they're cheaper.
If you don't see it on the wall or the racks there, they can paint it for you if you dont mind waiting a week or two - including your favorite plugs.
If you don't mind buying in bulk they can order things that they don't have in stock for you.

Dan said to use #3 clevises because he though 2s held the blade too tight to the shaft. :think:

O

osmosis

all ford, that changes from manufacturer to manufacturer, just put the notch towards the hook. Its meant for when you do the old school style and do not create a closed wire loop on the hook end, you make an open loop - and pinch it together between your fingers and slide the body down, putting the tag end inside the bullet body creating a "closed loop".
The main reason for doing it this way is that if you build the spinner with just enough excess wire to slide the body up and open the loop after completion you can "quick change" your hooks instead of sharpening them.

Dan may have been right for the particular blade he was using as his test subject, every manufacturer (and sometimes batch to batch) changes how much material is left "above" the eye on the blade. sometimes in the same 100+ blade package you will get some blades that require a #2 and some a #3.
The ones B.C. Angling post right now (except for the hammered nickel) work best with a #2 in my opinion.
I've told you guys the trick for seeing which clevis you need in other threads, its up to you do remember the tricks and build 'em right.

A

All Ford

I thought that was the reason. The open loop makes me nervous. It's hard enough for me to get fish and I could just picture my first 20# lb fish pulling the eye open during battle and me on the bank broken spinner in hand crying like a girl. :)