cheap downriggers? where can i get em

F
fishndad
im on a budget, and i need a couple cheap downriggers! where can i get em and are they dependable?

K
Kodiak
cheapest

cheapest

the cheapest ones I've seen are at sportsmans wharhouse for 199. or something redicoulous like that. I dont see why you can't build your own.

A
Anyfishisfine
Kodiak said:
I dont see why you can't build your own.

I was at Bi-Mart today and they had a little device you clip onto your rod to measure the line you let out. It seems like that and a old rod/reel,and you have a poor-man's down rigger. Probably real poor, but that all depends on budget and tinkering ability.

O
osmosis
The bottom half of a 20-50# or heavier rod, a line counter reel with #80 braid. plus a chunk of lead for halibut fishing and then all thats left is buying some downrigger clips.

S
SNDSLGR
I just... ummm lost :doh:.... the top half of a brand new Ugly stick sturgeon rod. The butt would work great for such a project and a $20 bill would make me feel better about ummm, loosing said tip. :cool: PM me if interested.

F
fishndad
SNDSLGR said:
I just... ummm lost :doh:.... the top half of a brand new Ugly stick sturgeon rod. The butt would work great for such a project and a $20 bill would make me feel better about ummm, loosing said tip. :cool: PM me if interested.

i actually found some scotty downriggers for 75 shipped each on ebay........ how odd. those should work fine im sure! thanks guys

B
Big Moby
osmosis said:
The bottom half of a 20-50# or heavier rod, a line counter reel with #80 braid. plus a chunk of lead for halibut fishing and then all thats left is buying some downrigger clips.

Interesting concept. i like it:)

When I used to be a deck hand we would run a 1lb. cannon ball with parachute chord and a clip. Those would be used off the front 2 rods.

Whe had sharpie marks every 10 feet on the rope in order to figure depth.

Talk about a "ghetto" down rigger. it worked pretty well with a 4 " spoon.

Troutski
Troutski
Joes sproting goods...

Joes sproting goods...

Joes is in the middle of a liquidation due to their chapter 11, you might be able to get a very nice one for dirt cheap ...Chuck

F
fishndad
Troutski said:
Joes is in the middle of a liquidation due to their chapter 11, you might be able to get a very nice one for dirt cheap ...Chuck

thanks bud!

Troutski
Troutski
Caution...

Caution...

fishndad said:
thanks bud!

A word of caution using down riggers.... You will become addicted very quickly.. The summer months are when the catch rate goes way up ..
Be careful where you place the down rigger, keep in mind that boats are very tippy when you crowd one side of the boat. I bought a 2X4 aluminum hollow beam from Sesslers Steel and drilled a hole in both ends and used my oar locks to anchor the 2X4 to the boat and I received two benifits from this. One, it made my boat very stable, two it kept my down rigger amidships which made using my down rigger much easier and safer. One more thing, I wrapped marine carpet around it to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter..it also gives one more room to mount new toys,like a cannon ball holder and rod holder.
Tight lines and be safe.

Chuck
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Have mercy

Have mercy

You guys are all just SO creative,I think it's wonderful! :clap: That being said,maybe for those of us who lack your mechanical creativity,is there any chance of you posting some pictures here for the rest of us? :pray: Please? Be safe.
Barb

F
fishndad
Troutski said:
A word of caution using down riggers.... You will become addicted very quickly.. The summer months are when the catch rate goes way up ..
Be careful where you place the down rigger, keep in mind that boats are very tippy when you crowd one side of the boat. I bought a 2X4 aluminum hollow beam from Sesslers Steel and drilled a hole in both ends and used my oar locks to anchor the 2X4 to the boat and I received two benifits from this. One, it made my boat very stable, two it kept my down rigger amidships which made using my down rigger much easier and safer. One more thing, I wrapped marine carpet around it to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter..it also gives one more room to mount new toys,like a cannon ball holder and rod holder.
Tight lines and be safe.

Chuck
[/SIZE]

i have a 14 ft bass boat, its a tri-hull, its pretty sturdy. i will be putting one on each side! i dont think ill have any issues. but any suggestions would be gratefuly appreciated! ive been a bank fisherman all my life so im overly experienced in the bank. boat fishing is another story but im sure i will do great!:D