Chasing Cormorants

G
grampa ron
I approached ODFW with idea of intimidating the Cormorants with an RC boat. They not only thought it was a good idea, they has given me a radio controlled boat and permission to try and chase the Cormorants off the pond. I've been out there a few times now and it works pretty good. They definitely don't like it. After chasing a few it seems that just having the boat sit out on the water helps. Unfortunately the boat battey life is only about 15 minutes and it takes 40 minutes to recharge it. ODFW is getting me more batteries so I can stay on the water more. It goes without saying it is a huge kick in butt to make those fish eaters get off the water and hopefully go somewhere else to feed. I also have permission to do the same at Alton Baker.

B
bigsteel
hey thats cool!!!!!!!!!!!good to see someone volunteering their time,,,,,but you gotta admit an rc boat is fun as heck.......now throw some bait and hook around the boat and you can kill two birds with one stone.

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
way to go ron,we are getting the same problem down here on the coast,will
ODFW let us attach a gun on one of those boats,get rid of the problem for a little while? lol.

T
the_intimidator03
thats great work ron, btw my g/f OFF'ered to drive the RC boat so you can fish in the meantime while im out there ;-)

R
radiation
Trolling

Trolling

Hey, can you go slow enough to troll with that boat?:clap: lol I still like the idea of a BB or pellet gun better. Those darn birds are eating our taxes.:naughty:

T
Thuggin4Life
So thats pretty ****ing cool man!

G
grampa ron
Thanks for all the positive input from everyone. There is a fishing derby at JC Pond this Saturday and the state is asking everyone if they could keep the fishing to a minimum on Thursday and Friday so most of the fish stocked on Thursday will be left for the kids. At least do C&R. There will be a lot of fish left after the derby and they are going to stock it for the next 3 weeks in row anyway. It would be nice if people didn't gang up on the dock and jerk them out as fast as they can. That action is so low class.

By the way, Alton Baker will stocked on Thursday also. It's the place to be and catch fish. They will probly disappear over the dam in few days anyway.

Last edited:
H
Hooked on fishin'
I may see you there Friday, I need to get into some fish!

S
silkiechicken
That's awesome you get to play with an rc boat. Is it keeping more fish in the pond :p

Maybe I should come out and try again this weekend, it must be better than trying in feb right!

G
grampa ron
Hi
It is a little warmer! The fishing has been pretty good. Most people are catching fish.

B
beaverfan
Just a word of warning, personally I'm all for what you are doing but you might want to looking into something. I believe Cormorants are considered a Migratory bird, am I correct? All migratory birds fall under the Migratory Bird Act or whatever it's called to protect them. If they are indeed a migratory bird what you are doing would be considered a violation of the Migratory Bird Act because I believe it states that you are not to "harass" any migratory birds. So no matter what ODFW has tells you, that isn't necessarily going to stop U.S. Fish and game from "harassing" you. I'm fully aware of the problems they cause and support controlling they're population, I just don't want anyone getting in trouble. In fact I remember reading somewhere that the reason why there are so many of them now is because they are protected, I don't even think you can hunt them?

H
Hooked on fishin'
Went to JC last Friday and C&R like 30-40, it was a great day fishing, just what I needed! Also, here is one I just couldn't release, and a friend of his to round out supper. Grampa Ron took the pic with my new smart phone! :) Hope to do as well today!!:cool:

S
silkiechicken
Ooo! Maybe I can try again this weekend. Would it be better for me to try and go after work, or try and go early morning? Guess that is probably like trying to ask when the chickens are going to start laying eggs. :p

T
the_intimidator03
i find its like trying to ask when the chickens are going to start laying eggs LOL

S
silkiechicken
LOL

:lol: