Charters?

D
diggindan
We're thinking of doing a bottomfishing trip next month. Any tips for charters out of Newport or Depoe Bay?
I'm thinking I should go out with a pro before taking our boat outside the bay.:D
Hope you all had a great Christmas.
Cheers, Dan

J
juggernaut506
Dockside in Depoe Bay is probably the best. I have a friend who moores his boat at Depoe Bay and it seems like Dockside usually does better then Depoe Bay Tradewinds. Laird is a good guy to go fishing with.
Stay away from Newport Tradewinds. It's not the same owner as Depoe Bay Tradewinds and I've heard a lot of bad things about how they run their trips.

F
FishKiller23
ive been with both and I perfer tradewinds out of depoe. Very nice and it was a blast.

J
juggernaut506
Laird's boat the Maranatha is a smaller boat so it's nice not having to deal with so many other people on board. Also he's really good at finding the fish. I always go out fishing there on my friends boat so I never had to actually take a charter out. I just see what the different boats haul in and talk to different people while down there and Dockside seems to be the favorite for the most part.

J
juggernaut506
diggindan said:
We're thinking of doing a bottomfishing trip next month. Any tips for charters out of Newport or Depoe Bay?
I'm thinking I should go out with a pro before taking our boat outside the bay.:D
Hope you all had a great Christmas.
Cheers, Dan

What size of boat do you have?

R
Rokjak
Charter Boat

Charter Boat

diggindan said:

diggin, I used Captian's Charters in Newport on Bay Street for a Halibut trip last spring and had a Great Time. People were very friendly. Boat was clean and in top shape. Crew was helpful and and the people who chartered were all return clients. That sort of tells me good things about this business. I have over the years found some real rotten outfits, but this ain't one of um. :) And yes we all had our limit and back early with some great Halibut. This next spring I will be going back for Halibut and Tuna. Jack L.

D
diggindan
juggernaut506 said:
What size of boat do you have?

18' Jetcraft with 90 HP Merc.
Thanks for the input.
Cheers, Dan

J
juggernaut506
diggindan said:
18' Jetcraft with 90 HP Merc.
Thanks for the input.
Cheers, Dan

You'd have no problem going out of Depoe Bay this Spring and Summer. The nice thing about Depoe Bay is you can catch nice fish within a half mile of the entrance of the bay.

D
diggindan
Thanks for the tips. We'll probably try a charter out of Depoe Bay or Newport when the weather settles down. Hope to get a little education before trying it on our own.
Thanks again, Dan

J
juggernaut506
It's a great time. Off the spit in Lincoln City in about 120 ft of water is a pretty awesome spot. The only bad thing is you catch a lot of Yelloweye and Canary Rockfish there. Also right infront of the condos in Depoe Bay in 50 feet of water is great for ling and black rockfish. Outside the mouth of Whale Cove also has great lingcod fishing.
When you go out on the charter bring a GPS so you can find some of those rockpiles again. Just don't let the crew see you with it since they might not like it.