Charter trip to Depoe

T
the_intimidator03
Well... finally the trip has been booked for tradewind charters out of depoe bay. 5 hour crabbing/bottom fish combo on tuesday... expect a report back after i get back :-D

also... any suggestions for fishing depoe bay area. like under the bridge or whale watching deck?

K
kornphlake
You'll have fun, my father in-law has booked trips for my brother in-law and myself with tradewind charters a couple times, we've been out on the Amigo every time and we have done well. We brought back 6 tuna each in 2007 and in 2008 we all limited out on bottom fish. I don't know about fishing other than from the boat, we've always been too tired to do any more fishing.

T
the_intimidator03
ill have to say only trip that disappointed was due to weather... they have been awesome been out a few times with them... even landed biggest fish on the boat too :-D i really hope to get some lings :-D

T
the_intimidator03
well....... im back with a report
fishing was fairly decent full limit of bottom fish mainly black sea bass, a few sea trout and yellow tails,
only one keeper ling for the entire boat. 35 1/2 inch beauty. a few salmon were landed as well. we fished probably between 1/2 mile to 1 mile off short between depoe bay and siletz. salmon have been about 30:1 ratio of wild to fin clips im told by the charter skipper. we saw some dolphins and whales. the trip overall was a good success, my mother loved it.

btw crabbing wasn't great. 9 pots 12 keepers out of the whole lot. lots of females.

I did hit south jetty for a little bit after the trip about 4-6 pm i was out there. tried using clam strips on double hook set up.. few bites... one really nice bite and ended up snapping at the top hook. switched to a red and white spoon. first cast black sea bass :-D then went home

just thought id give you the jist of it... now its time to vacuum pack fish

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Fun day..

Fun day..

It is so cool that you not only got fish to the boat,but that you took your Mother. :clap: Speaking as another Mother,I am looking forward to a trip with my son on a charter. Sounds like a great way to spend the day and hope you come back for more soon.

O
osmosis
Sounds like another success story from the boys out of depoe! Glad to hear they treated you well, though that is their average. Glad you had fun, We LOVE bottom fishing!
What boat were you on?
Were they dolphins or harbor porpoise? Too bad about the crab, but thats how it goes some days..

Last edited:
C
Chief Jim
You might try the rocks at Boiler Bay, though I wouldn't recommend this rough seas or for those that aren't fairly nimble on their feet. If you happen to fall in there, you are going to have a very bad hair day. Very likely that you will end up as ground up fish fodder! Better (and somewhat safer) to try the rocks just to the north of the Whale watching station or the rocks at the mouth of the Depoe Bay channel. You can also fish underneath the bridge, but the catch in there tends to be smaller than outside.
BTW, the wife and I were having dinner at the Matzatlan, just south of the channel and I spotted a whale spouting about a 1/4 mile out. It came up several times and the last time we saw it blow, it was almost against the rocks to the north of the WW station! That was the closest I have ever seen one to the beach.
Chief JIm