Channel cats

W
WILD BILL
Howdy Y'all I grew up catfishing in the Ozarks and moved out here about 7 years ago. Been trying to find catfish out here and I heard you can catch cats over in the Multnomah Channel.

What suggestions would you have for locations and presentations to snatch these underwater felines?

B
BaldTexan
Never targeted them here but I would imagine fishing for cats on the channel would more than likely get you into sturgeon....you'd forget all about the channel cats after hooking an oversized sturgosaurus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Bill
FYI
Check advisories about eating any resident fish from those waters.

Reactions: goodie619
bass
bass
Most of the catfish in the Willamette and Multnomah Channel (MC) are bullhead. I catch them on accident fishing for sturgeon or walleye. They are usually really fat. Once a year or so I catch a channel cat in the river. They are always healthy and fat too but there just do not seem to be that many of them around. I do not know of any place around here where channel cats are prevalent. I think that sturgeon mostly hold that spot in the food chain and outcompete the channel cats. Plus, the pikieminnows also would be a competitor for smaller cats.

Also, I am in agreement with Billl. I would not eat a resident fish out of the MC. It is downstream from the Portland harbor superfund cleanup site. Check page 16 of the ODFW regulations under health advisories.

Reactions: goodie619
G
goodie619
Caught a week ago in Superfund..

But if you want bigger, need to go to Eastern OR to the Sandy, or get a WA one day license and fish one of their stocked lakes with channel cats. Closest one is 2 hours away from Portland.

• photo31596.jpg
  • photo31597.jpg
D
DrTheopolis
goodie619;n606150 said:
But if you want bigger, need to go to Eastern OR to the Sandy

?????????

S
Steelheader4Life
DrTheopolis;n606172 said:
?????????

My guess is that he meant the Snake!?

troutdude
troutdude
Agree. Probably not, the Sandy. There ain't any cats in the Sandy, that I'm aware of.

G
goodie619
sorry I meant the columbia

Reactions: troutdude