Channel Cats?

M
Moe
I keep hearing about channel catfish being in commonwealth lake but have never seen any. Caught plenty of bullheads out there but no channels. Anyone know of any being in there? How about bethany pond?

B
beaverfan
Nope never caught one. They got that sign up that says there in there but I've tried for em and only got yellowbellies.

S
skunk
Moe said:
I keep hearing about channel catfish being in commonwealth lake but have never seen any. Caught plenty of bullheads out there but no channels. Anyone know of any being in there? How about bethany pond?

What do you use to fish for bullheads?

B
beaverfan
I use the Berkley Catfish baits, usually the liver kind. Works real well.

M
Moe
I just fish nightcrawlers on a double drop shot rig.

F
Fishtopher
Try some bass lures worked close to the bottom with some scent...if its not the seaweed/algea pond I remember you might catch a few more fish than you lose lures...

R
rippin fish lips
never caught a catfish but i sure would love to!!!

Diehard
Diehard
i have seen some pics fairly recently of some very large channel cats coming out of the mouths of slews at sauvie isle. on incoming tides not sure what was used for bait though but this was bank fishing the cats were three to six pounds in the pics i saw dont no anything about the lake you speak of but thought i would share this tid bit of info with you

M
Moe
Thanks for the info, been trying to find a place near home with some channel cats. Might try there out in the spring.

B
Bad Tuna
Suck it up and head east! Brownlee and Oxbow are full of cats. Took my son and some boys I mentor over there last June, 3-8 channels, blues and even a few flatheads and a white cat nearly every cast. I limited us to 40 a day, a couple days that took less than an hour. Mormon crickets, shrimp and worms under a bobber on a jig head were top baits. Saw some cats pushing 20+ but we never landed any.

C
ClearCreek
Bad Tuna - are you sure they were blue catfish. Rarely see one of those west of the Missouri River. Do you have photos??

ClearCreek

B
Bad Tuna
Only two were blue catfish. I thought they were all channel cats, but the fish checker said we had two blues and a white, and showed us the difference. We were told the whites and blues were the least common in the system.

C
ClearCreek
Bad Tuna - looks like you caught a Oregon State record fish if you caught a blue catfish. I just checked the Oregon State Records and they do not list a blue catfish. Next time you catch one turn it in to be recognized as the state record!!

ClearCreek

V
viento
This is Oregon. Don't say a word about Blues, they'll either put it on
the endangered species list, or bomb the lake to remove
it as an invasive species. :)

D
Drew9870
Brownlee is awesome, if you could plan a trip anywhere in Oregon to get into some big fish I would recommend Richland on Brownlee Reservoir.

Moe, there is no shortage of fish, 30lb Carp are not rare, Channel Cats can be caught on Crankbaits, I actually don't think I have caught a Channel Cat out of Brownlee on bait, and I have caught atleast around 30 of them, usually around 5lbs. Smallmouth Bass everywhere, Crappie over 18 inches by the bucketloads if you're in a boat along with the occasional 1.5lb Yellow Perch.

I haven't been there since I was like 12, I wouldn't know what to fish for first if I went again, I'd toss out a dead 6-7'' Crappie and another rig for Carp, the 5/6wt would really be sore after a trip there.

M
Moe
Drew9870 said:
Brownlee is awesome, if you could plan a trip anywhere in Oregon to get into some big fish I would recommend Richland on Brownlee Reservoir.

Moe, there is no shortage of fish, 30lb Carp are not rare, Channel Cats can be caught on Crankbaits, I actually don't think I have caught a Channel Cat out of Brownlee on bait, and I have caught atleast around 30 of them, usually around 5lbs. Smallmouth Bass everywhere, Crappie over 18 inches by the bucketloads if you're in a boat along with the occasional 1.5lb Yellow Perch.

I haven't been there since I was like 12, I wouldn't know what to fish for first if I went again, I'd toss out a dead 6-7'' Crappie and another rig for Carp, the 5/6wt would really be sore after a trip there.

Lol Drew you make it sound like a fishing heaven!! I will definitely put it on my list of future trips.

B
Bad Tuna
ClearCreek said:
Bad Tuna - looks like you caught a Oregon State record fish if you caught a blue catfish. I just checked the Oregon State Records and they do not list a blue catfish. Next time you catch one turn it in to be recognized as the state record!!

ClearCreek

That's cool, I'm sure the 12 year old will be excited to hear that. I think it was only about 8 pounds.

F
fish4life
Yeh theres blues in there I caught a couple, I believe the Idaho state record flathead was 56 pounds caught out of brownlee. Caught a fifteen pound flatehead last year had a bigger one break me off and caught a lot of channels 2 to 8 pounds even caught 2 channels on crappie jigs. If you go over there try using crappie guts ussually outfishes everything else for me 3 to 1.

C
Coastaldweller
What would the best time of year to fish for Crappie, Cats and Bass in Brownlee? Would it be worth be towing a boat from Coos Bay or renting one there?

M
muskieguide
There are not a lot of Blues but there are plenty in the Columbia system. I've seen and caught my share of them. AS far as records go, they get caught all the time. I have seen and caught my fair share and there are those of us that don't want them known due to the secrecy of our holes. If you think I'm lying, come look at my photo albums. I've never fished Brownlee or the others but believe they're in there. Nice job Bad Tuna!!! I want to get over there now