Champoeg State Park

M
madoc
Howdy all,

I'm wondering if there is any action for Steelies along the stretch of the Willamette running through Champoeg?

Cheers,
Madoc

A
ArcticAmoeba
Across the river from the upper end of the Park is a decent Chinook hole. About 28 feet deep, and over 60 feet long. Used to fill in with fish, and you backed eggs, under a diver to 'em. Not enough current to Backbounce, but if you ran sliding 30 footers, it was perfect. But I have not hooked many Steelhead through that stretch. It is hard to target small pods of fish when the shipping lane is as wide as the river. Flat muddy bottom. Drift bait close to the bank, and look for fish huddled up in the shade. If it is warm enough, drift Spinners. Start out along the bank and cast another couple feet farther every time, until you are as far as you can cast. Maintain contact, but don't retrieve. Just drift it. I did see a guy in a Kayak pull a Steelhead out, about a half mile above the confluence with the Molalla. Santiam Summer. Noodle Tagged and all. Got it on a Chinook egg bait. Good luck out there!

M
melvinmccarty
ok camping at champoeg..park madoc where do I go and how do I catch fish..note I am a rookie who trout fishes and bass fishes..but I want to try

P
pinstriper
melvinmccarty said:
ok camping at champoeg..park madoc where do I go and how do I catch fish..note I am a rookie who trout fishes and bass fishes..but I want to try

There's a boat ramp in the day use area where you can pull in bass. Keep things shallow as there are a lot of snags. That's about it.

M
melvinmccarty
thank you