Central to East Oregon Catfish?

L
leach laker
I'll be heading from Eugene to Wallowa country this summer. I've heard that Prineville res and some other spots hold cats. Anyone know if they are worthwhile targets? I know the far east resevoirs along the Idaho border hold'em, but I wondering if there is anywhere I can camp and nightfish along the way for them.

(Heading from Eugene, probably due East to John day and then north to Baker City...all negoitable of course)

Last edited by a moderator:
B
beaverfan
I assume your talking from shore not a boat? I would say the John Day River but I have no clue how to access it from shore. Does Lake Billy Chinook have Cats in it?

Last edited:
F
fisherwilly
As far as Prineville goes it has some bullhead catfish in it. The biggest I have caught was 14 inches. There is some great free camping on the Bend side of Prineville res. at Robert's landing. (Roberts something). I have seen pictures (in the Spray store) of some nice catfish caught at the town of Spray on the John Day. They were some larger channel cats.

L
lizardman
Columbia River, Umatilla River (especially at the mouth), ponds in Umatilla and Hatrock, sloughs, Willow Creek Recreation Area (just south of I-84, but hard to get to).

Dave

T
Thuggin4Life
Go to the snake you wont regret it.

L
leach laker
Thanks for the replies.....and yeah, it will be from shore.

D
dtikey
All the lakes in the Prineville area hold yellow bellied bullhead and are fairly easy to catch.I spent a lot of time on the John Day River over there and yes there is nice channel cats in it.Might be a little early up by spray for them in numbers butdown lower by twicking ham bridge should be productive.The best bait we found on them there is rainbow power bait.