Central Oregon updates

• Thread starter The Guides Forecast
  • Start date
The Guides Forecast

The Guides Forecast

Central Oregon Fishing Reports - Glenn Zinkus POURS on the detail for trout and steelhead from the region. You've NEVER seen content like it (We guarantee it!), check out Glenn's detailed report and forecast in this week's paid version for Chinook and Steelhead Members both!

Weather Outlook Across Central and Eastern Oregon: Warm weather continues, along with a weekend warmup that will get the bugs and the fish active. Temperatures are forecasted to drop starting next Tuesday. Temperatures will be in the 80s through much of Central and Eastern Oregon through the weekend, and drop into the 60s and 70s on Tuesday. There may be some rain in Northeast Oregon starting Tuesday.

Lower Deschutes River: Salmon fly action is heating up through the Lower Deschutes system. Note that river flows are lower than normal for this time of year, so runs that we may typically fish during the summer are fishable now. Flows really are ideal now in the upper stretch of the Lower Deschutes, from Warm Springs to Trout Creek.

Deschutes was fishing fantastic during this past week for me. Other anglers in nearby camps thought the same thing. I overheard some guides comparing notes at the Trout Creek boat ramp, thinking that the fishing from Warm Springs to Trout Creek was a little slow.

image-12.png
Deschutes River Redside
I saw the first of just a few salmon flies buzz upstream last Thursday morning, and there were several in the grass, but it was still early for that area. I had the oldest Brittany with me, so I limited my fishing to water near the campsite
and did not go between Trout Creek and Mecca like I usually would. Mornings were better than afternoons for me, but I spent more time fishing during the mornings as well.

Other highlights included a rooster pheasant that wandered into our campsite one late afternoon and
excited the 14-year-old Brittany who thought his pheasant days were behind him. I saw the first rattler of the season as well, just on the outskirts of my campsite. I always seem to see more snakes during the early season.

Middle
Deschutes River
: The Middle Deschutes is now at a great level for fishing. Jeff Perin at The Fly Fisher’s Place is reporting that there are salmonflies coming off right now. Friends are having good success on dry flies.

Haystack
Reservoir
– The reservoir shows as 79% full. If fly fishing, start with Balanced Leeches under an indicator.

Lake Billy Chinook fishing is fantastic for bull trout. The Metolius Arm is open (tribal pass required) and anglers are catching bull trout in this area.

Crooked
River:
Crooked River is fishing great, especially with nymphs. Jeff Perin at The Flyfishers Place in Sisters reports that there are caddis on the river – use pupa, nymphs, emergers and adults in sizes #14-16, gray-olive colors.

Fall
River:
Fall River is producing good fishing opportunities, and a popular angling location with last week’s warm weather. ODFW released 1000 trophy size hatchery rainbows into Fall River last month. Reports are that there are fishing from the
Hatchery up to the headwaters is good.

Metolius
River:
The Metolius is only getting better with the warm days of May. I stopped by and checked a few favorite locations, talking with anglers along the way. Fishing has been good – nymphing is taking a majority of the trout still.

If you are fortunate
enough to catch a bull trout, please keep-em-wet, releasing these precious predators unharmed and as quickly as possible. Thanks much.

South
Twin Lake:
South Twin is fishing well with stripped leeches and balanced leeches under an indicator. As we go into May, start thinking of damsel nymphs along the edges. Fishing with bait is starting to take a good number of fish now.

Crescent
Lake: Crescen
t Lake will remain very low. The lake is accessible from the boat ramp at the resort, for a $10 fee paid to the resort. We are entering the prime time to catch Mackinaws.

Odell
Lake:

Angling buddies are reporting catches of Mackinaw in Odell – while trolling at about 30 to 40 feet – much shallower than expected. It must be that the Macks are shallow right now.

MUCH More detail, including what patterns to use, in the full version of The Guide's Forecast. Subscribe HERE.