Central Oregon Fishing Reports

• Thread starter The Guides Forecast
  • Start date
The Guides Forecast

The Guides Forecast

Contributor Glenn Zinkus reports:

There’s been a nice cooling period during the week through Central Oregon, although there is on and off smoke haze in the Cascades and High Desert.

The Central Oregon area will have high temperatures in the 70s and 80s through most of the region.  High country will be a little cooler, 60s during the day and 30s at night.  Hike in lakes are starting to look good.

The Cascade Lakes Highway area will have temperatures of around 70 through Saturday, mid 70s to start the week, and 80s by midweek.  Moderate winds on Friday and Saturday, light winds in the forecast most days.

The Lower Deschutes canyon will see highs in the high 70s and low 80s through the weekend, hitting 90 again midweek next week. Afternoon winds of 10 – 15 mph through the weekend, and 8 – 9 mph next week.

The Columbia River Gorge area will have temperatures in the mid to high 70s through the weekend, climbing to 90 next week.

As a reminder, ODFW established “Hoot Owl” regulations limiting fishing hours on these waters

Effective July 1 through September 30, all angling for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and trout is closed from 2:00 p.m. to one hour before sunrise in the entire John Day River and all tributaries, for the Umatilla River and all tributaries (but not the river within the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation lands)

Lower Deschutes River

Hoot Owl Restrictions remain lifted. Water temperatures are starting to drop with the more moderate temperatures of the last several days, and releases from the dam may be up to 2 degrees F cooler, and are currently around 55 degrees.

Temperatures near the mouth are peaking at about 66 degrees during the afternoons and evenings, and 62 degrees during the early mornings.

There are nothing but good reports on the trout fishing from Warm Springs to Trout Creek. Every angler and shop I know have been reporting good fishing.

Middle Deschutes River: Hatches of PMDs, PEDs, and caddis are happening.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes has been fishing well, with nymphing being the primary method now. Brook trout are being caught on Perdigons, Frenchies, Jig Style PTs.

Lake Billy Chinook: Reports of good kokanee fishing in both the Deschutes and Metolius arms. Jigging with gold and silver colors.

Crooked River flows have increased to about 200 CFS at the dam recently and still at 200 CFS as of August 19.

Fall River has been stocked with 1000 trophy trout earlier in the month. Reports from The Flyfishers Place is that the hatches have been slower. That said, trout are going for micro leeches and midge nymphs. The guys at Fly & Field report the same thing – inconsistent hatches.

Prineville Reservoir: Josh Pardee for Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop in Lapine reports ridiculously good fishing for Crappie in Prineville Reservoir. The reservoir is at 30 % full as of today.

Odell remains a constant for kokanee and Mackinaw fishing with good reports all around. There is on and off smoke from the fires near Oakridge, depending upon the winds. It changes constantly right now.

Check out Glenn’s detailed report with much more information and forecast in this week’s paid version for Chinook and Steelhead Members both!

Get this report and a summary for all of Oregon on Thursday nights in your inbox by signing up here.

00Swede

00Swede

Before anybody packs up and heads to Prineville Reservoir because of this post, some things you should know. I just spent Monday through Friday at the State Park Campground. I had a great time but the Crappie fishing is not "ridiculously good" as stated in this report.
First off, all boat ramps are closed, big time. You get anywhere near the edge of the reservoir with a boat trailer or just a truck and it is going to be a very bad day for you.

Even dragging a kayak down to launch, as I did everyday, is a daunting task. There is knee deep mud on the shoreline before you get to the water. When getting back out there is nowhere to wash the sticky mud off. I saw several people pull in with yaks and canoes and turn around and leave. Also families with kids heading down with float tubes from the campground, turning back to the campground.

I was the only one on the water fishing with any kind of craft, that I could see and I could see from Social Security Beach (down by the old resort) to the County boat ramp. That was Monday through Friday morning.

There were a few trying from the bank around the campground area that I could see and talked to several. Bank fishing was dismal.
I was catching enough crappie to keep me happy from the kayak. Usually 5 to 10 a morning and 15 one morning. They were good size crappie.

So, "good trip", yes...."Ridiculously good fishing"..... nope.