Central Oregon fishing reports - contributor Glenn Zinkus reports

• Thread starter The Guides Forecast
  • Start date
The Guides Forecast

The Guides Forecast

Central Columbia Gorge Cohos and Walleye. Metolius and Fall Rivers Consistent for Trout.

Weather Outlook Across Central and Eastern Oregon:

There will be some spotty morning showers Friday and some winds along the east slopes of the Cascades; and clearing for the weekend with temperatures peaking in the mid 50s Saturday and Sunday with calmer winds. High country snow lines and freezing elevations significantly climb higher through the weekend.

The Lower Deschutes Canyon will have clear weather after Friday morning, remaining clear through the weekend with highs in the 50s, lows in the 30s. The weather remains consistent through mid-week next week.

Mid-Columbia Gorge area will see high temperatures in the 50s through the weekend and into next week. There will be some showers on Friday and clearing for the weekend and into next week. There will be light winds to start the weekend, increasing on Sunday and into the first half of next week.

Lower Deschutes River:

The Lower Deschutes flows spiked last weekend and dropped through the week, slowly leveling with slighter drops right now. The river is again coming into somewhat high, but fishable levels. The muddy color so prevalent last weekend subsided to just a slightly tannin color, getting better each day.

Middle Deschutes River: The river level is up. No recent reports over this last week. I checked out the river along Lower Bridge Road and find that it is getting high. Despite this, the Middle Deschutes has been fishing well.

Lake Billy Chinook: No new reports. The Metolius Arm closed October 31.

Crooked River: Crooked River flows needed to increase, and indeed spiked end of last week and dropped since last weekend. Flows at the dam are near 50 CFS, and although fishable, are low and steady like they have been all fall.

This time of year, and through the winter, the Crooked fishes well. Friends have started catching more fish nymphing – Perdigons have been the ticket. Nymphing is consistent and anglers are catching redsides and whitefish.

I was on the Metolius earlier this week, before the cooler weather blew in on Monday. It was a somewhat quiet day, a little overcast, and the first of the winds were just starting to blow in the treetops. During the morning I noted a few flies in the air over the river, when I looked downstream from Allingham Bridge.

Check out Glenn's detailed report with much more information and forecast in this week's Member's version.

Receive these SW Washington and Oregon fishing reports in your email on Thursday nights by signing up here.