Central Oregon Fishing Report

The Guides Forecast
Weather Outlook Across Eastern Oregon: A weekend warmup is coming! Saturday and Sunday will see temperatures in the 70s and going into the 80s in places through the high desert this weekend. Forecasted winds through much of the weekend will be light, which is a welcome break from the screeching winds earlier this week.

Chickahominy

Reservoir:
This past week ODFW
removed the trout bag limit on Chickahominy because of low water levels, specifically the reservoir is less than 10% full and there is approximately 6 feet of water in the deepest locations. See the press release HERE.

I asked the ODFW fisheries biologist about Chickahominy Reservoir this week and have the following report:

The lake is accessible. The bottom of the boat ramp was about a foot or two above the water in March. ODFW does not recommend launching a large propeller driven boat out there. It is very turbid and there are some boulders in shallow water near the dam. A drift boat would be fine, and so are pontoon boats.

Krumbo Reservoir: Krumbo has been stocked with 13,000 rainbow trout during the week of April 5.

Owyhee River: Reports are that nymphing is good with flows around 100 CFS.

NORTHEAST OREGON WATERS

Wallowa River
: As of April 15th, the Wallowa has some color, but anglers are catching some steelhead, and Rob at the Joseph Fly Shoppe is reporting catches of some smolts.

The Fly Shoppe in Joseph is closed for the season, but you may reach Rob at the shop around midday on a hit or miss basis.

Remember that trout fishing on the Wallowa is now open year-round, so trout opportunities exists.

Grande Ronde River:
There are no reports for the Grande Ronde. I recommend checking in with The Joseph Fly Shoppe at (541) 432-4343 around midday before setting off for the Grande Ronde. Note that the shop is now closed for the season.

Imnaha River: Rob at The Joseph Fly Shoppe is reporting fishable river levels, and some steelhead catches this week. ODFW reports that steelhead are moving through the system, but their own creel surveys show that catches are variable.

The Guides Forecast
Weather
Outlook Across Central and Eastern Oregon:
Temperatures today have been the warmest of the season thus far, but a cold front will push through on the weekend and bring temperatures into the 60s through much of Central and Eastern Oregon, and dipping into the 50s in the high country including the Cascade Lakes and Northeast Oregon.

Lower Deschutes
River:
With last week’s opening, anglers dispersed along the river and pressure around Maupin eased a bit. River flows, unsurprisingly, remain low for this time year. The Deschutes has been fishing well with nymphs.

Haystack Reservoir – No first hand reports into me this week. As of April 29, the reservoir shows as
97% full. If fly fishing, start with Balanced Leeches under an indicator.

Lake Billy Chinook fishing is fantastic. The Metolius Arm is open (tribal pass required) and anglers are catching bull trout in this area. Leech patterns for fly fishers are the ticket.

Crooked River: Crooked River flows have been somewhat bumped up.

Metolius
River:
This has been the week for dry fly fishing, with BWO and caddis activity around the edges. Euro nymphing continues to be effective.

South
Twin Lake:
South Twin gets stocked with 200 trophy size trout next week. South Twin Lake is accessible and becoming more popular as there were anglers around the lake during the warm weather.

Crane
Prairie Reservoir:
Most reports are that Crane Prairie has been slow.

There are some unfortunate incidences of thefts from rigs in campgrounds at Crane Prairie and Wickiup. The Deschutes County Sheriff has 7 cases since opening day. Be careful, and keep everything locked up.

Wickiup Reservoir: Wickiup is now open, albeit with low water levels, Wickiup is 54% as of today. Just like with Crane Prairie, balanced leeches and chironomids are effective during the openers. See the cautions about thefts under the Crane Prairie report above.

Cascade Lake Highway Access: Our friends at Fly & Field Outfitters in Bend provided a road access scouting report: Anglers can currently access Crane Prairie via South Century Drive (past the Fall River) and utilize the Crane Prairie Resort Turn Off.

As of April 29, Quinn River Campground is still closed, but reports are that the boat ramp is now accessible and open.

Access to Wickiup is excellent, with a few exceptions. There are docks in at North Wickiup boat ramp, Gull Point ramp looks clear, and access to other areas is decent. Proceed with caution while driving down dirt roads, as many areas are full of snow. Note that Wickiup Reservoir level is very low.

Lava Lake and Hosmer Lake remain inaccessible.

Diamond Lake: Reports as of today (April 29) are that the boat ramp at the resort is open and the lake is free of ice.

North Central Oregon/Mid-Columbia Waters:

We continue with great reports from Wendy at Gorge Outfitters Supply (541-739-2222) in Rufus, between the John Day and Deschutes Rivers. Anglers will want to consider the opportunities in this area based on her report; stop in if you are in the area.

Bass fishing is good on the John Day and along the bank on the Columbia near the John Day. Anglers targeting bass in the area have been successful.

Walleye fishing continues to be fantastic from boats and the banks. The big females are in the shallows. The smaller males in a good-eater-size are just a little farther out.

Chickahominy Reservoir: Two weeks ago, ODFW removed the trout bag limit on Chickahominy because of low water levels, specifically the reservoir is less than 10% full and there is approximately 6 feet of water in the deepest locations.

I am repeating the specifics from ODFW this week:|

The lake is accessible. The bottom of the boat ramp was about a foot or two above the water in March. ODFW does not recommend launching a large propeller driven boat out there. It is very turbid and there are some boulders in shallow water near the dam. A drift boat would be fine, and so are pontoon boats.

The trout ODFW sampled this spring ranged from 10 to 22 inches.

Ana Reservoir: There are reports of good fishing on Ana Reservoir.

NORTHEAST OREGON WATERS

Wallowa River
: Steelhead are in the system, but this river closes for steelhead on April 30 (tomorrow).

The Fly Shoppe in Joseph is closed for the season, but you may reach Rob at the shop around midday on a hit or miss basis.

Remember that trout fishing on the Wallowa is now open year-round, so trout opportunities exists.

Grande Ronde River:
There are no reports for the Grande Ronde. This river closes for steelhead on April 30.

Imnaha River: This river closes for steelhead on April 30.

The Guides Forecast
Central Oregon Fishing Reports - Glenn Zinkus POURS on the detail for trout and steelhead from the region. You've NEVER seen content like it (We guarantee it!), check out Glenn's detailed report and forecast in this week's paid version for Chinook and Steelhead Members both!

Weather Outlook Across Central and Eastern Oregon: Warm weather continues, along with a weekend warmup that will get the bugs and the fish active. Temperatures are forecasted to drop starting next Tuesday. Temperatures will be in the 80s through much of Central and Eastern Oregon through the weekend, and drop into the 60s and 70s on Tuesday. There may be some rain in Northeast Oregon starting Tuesday.

Lower Deschutes River: Salmon fly action is heating up through the Lower Deschutes system. Note that river flows are lower than normal for this time of year, so runs that we may typically fish during the summer are fishable now. Flows really are ideal now in the upper stretch of the Lower Deschutes, from Warm Springs to Trout Creek.

Deschutes was fishing fantastic during this past week for me. Other anglers in nearby camps thought the same thing. I overheard some guides comparing notes at the Trout Creek boat ramp, thinking that the fishing from Warm Springs to Trout Creek was a little slow.

Deschutes River Redside
I saw the first of just a few salmon flies buzz upstream last Thursday morning, and there were several in the grass, but it was still early for that area. I had the oldest Brittany with me, so I limited my fishing to water near the campsite
and did not go between Trout Creek and Mecca like I usually would. Mornings were better than afternoons for me, but I spent more time fishing during the mornings as well.

Other highlights included a rooster pheasant that wandered into our campsite one late afternoon and
excited the 14-year-old Brittany who thought his pheasant days were behind him. I saw the first rattler of the season as well, just on the outskirts of my campsite. I always seem to see more snakes during the early season.

Middle
Deschutes River
: The Middle Deschutes is now at a great level for fishing. Jeff Perin at The Fly Fisher’s Place is reporting that there are salmonflies coming off right now. Friends are having good success on dry flies.

Haystack
Reservoir
– The reservoir shows as 79% full. If fly fishing, start with Balanced Leeches under an indicator.

Lake Billy Chinook fishing is fantastic for bull trout. The Metolius Arm is open (tribal pass required) and anglers are catching bull trout in this area.

Crooked
River:
Crooked River is fishing great, especially with nymphs. Jeff Perin at The Flyfishers Place in Sisters reports that there are caddis on the river – use pupa, nymphs, emergers and adults in sizes #14-16, gray-olive colors.

Fall
River:
Fall River is producing good fishing opportunities, and a popular angling location with last week’s warm weather. ODFW released 1000 trophy size hatchery rainbows into Fall River last month. Reports are that there are fishing from the
Hatchery up to the headwaters is good.

Metolius
River:
The Metolius is only getting better with the warm days of May. I stopped by and checked a few favorite locations, talking with anglers along the way. Fishing has been good – nymphing is taking a majority of the trout still.

If you are fortunate
enough to catch a bull trout, please keep-em-wet, releasing these precious predators unharmed and as quickly as possible. Thanks much.

South
Twin Lake:
South Twin is fishing well with stripped leeches and balanced leeches under an indicator. As we go into May, start thinking of damsel nymphs along the edges. Fishing with bait is starting to take a good number of fish now.

Crescent
Lake: Crescen
t Lake will remain very low. The lake is accessible from the boat ramp at the resort, for a $10 fee paid to the resort. We are entering the prime time to catch Mackinaws.

Odell
Lake:

Angling buddies are reporting catches of Mackinaw in Odell – while trolling at about 30 to 40 feet – much shallower than expected. It must be that the Macks are shallow right now.

MUCH More detail, including what patterns to use, in the full version of The Guide's Forecast. Subscribe HERE.

The Guides Forecast
From Glenn Zinkus

Weather Outlook Across Central and Eastern Oregon: The weekend will be off to a cool start, with chances of showers through Central and Eastern Oregon as a low pressure trough will be over our area through the weekend. A pattern of partial clearing and then some rain will repeat itself though Monday. Winds subside somewhat on the weekend, and pickup again midweek. The high desert areas around the Lower Deschutes will be in the 60s and bump to the 70s later in the weekend and next week. The far reaches of Northeast and Southeast Oregon will be cool and wet through the weekend, and bumps to the low 60s next week. Winds increase midweek. Temperatures at the central Oregon high lakes will be in the 50s through the weekend and 60s next week, with showers on Friday and Saturday.

Lower Deschutes River: Salmon fly action is peaking through much of the Lower Deschutes system. Flows continue to be ideal now in the upper stretch of the Lower Deschutes, from Warm Springs to Trout Creek, and below.

Last week, friends fishing from various locations on the Deschutes including one on a lengthy float trip had both glorious weather and fishing. Last week, nymphing was hot on stonefly nymphs down to Whiskey Dick, and it was fish on top downriver from Whiskey Dick. Clarks stone was the fly of the day.

The fly shops (Deschutes Angler in Maupin and The Flyfishers Place in Sisters) are reporting great salmonfly activity when the water stays steady and when the weather is right. Golden stones are appearing now and will continue.

The Guides Forecast
Central Oregon Fishing Reports – Glenn Zinkus

Weather Outlook Across Central and Eastern Oregon:
After the latest cold front that is currently blowing through today, the weather begins to warm up across the Cascades, the high desert, and the far reaches of Eastern Oregon. We will see summer-like temperatures next week. Temperatures through the high desert rise to the 70s and 80s over the weekend, and 90s next week. The Cascade lakes rise to the 60s on Friday, 70s on Saturday/Sunday and 80s next week. The Deschutes will get hot, well into the 90s by next week. The high country of northeast Oregon will warm from the 60s through the weekend, and 70s and 80s next week.

Winds across the region will moderate after today and Friday.

Lower Deschutes River: Salmon flies, and stoneflies in general have been much of the focus and cause of excitement. Green drakes have been coming off, and there have been PMDs and caddis in the mix.

The Guides Forecast – Middle Deschutes River: Nymph with Perdigons (brighter ones in orange), Micro Mayflies and Copper Johns when the hatches are not coming off. Hatches coming off include caddis, pale morning duns, and pale evening duns.

Spinners and spoons remain to be good according to the Sportsman’s Warehouse in Bend.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes is now open. I’ve always done well nymphing PTs in and around the log jams and pools during the first several weeks within opening.

Haystack Reservoir: The reservoir shows as 100% full and remains a good fishing location. With the longer days and warmer temperatures, bass and warmwater species will start to get active. For this early warmwater season, use stripped leeches for fly fishers and crankbaits for conventional gear anglers for bass.

However, I have no recent reports from anglers for this location.

Lake Billy Chinook: Reports are that kokanee are scattered through the lake, but diligently studying a fish finder and searching by trolling will get anglers to the fish.

Crooked River: While there are hatches of caddis and PMDs, nymphing is the most effective way to fish the Crooked right now. Sparkle Pupas, Puparazzi and Micro Mayflies, Zebra midges and Split Case nymphs are taking fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Guides Forecast
Contributor Glenn Zinkus reports:

The hot weather comes to an end, with a cooler than usual weekend before warming to seasonal temperatures midweek. The current temperatures in the 80s throughout much of the region will cool to the high 60s/70 on the weekend and into early next week. There will also be some windy days in the high desert, the Gorge, and Eastern Oregon on Friday, and through the weekend in some locations such as the Gorge.

Lower Deschutes River: Except for a report from a friend who floated downstream from Warm Springs, the salmon fly action is waning. Redsides have been bombarded for the past month, and easily accessible sections have been hit hard. That said, a friend did well on dry stoneflies during the afternoon. There was also a lot of later caddis activity and PMD activity through the day.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes is now open. I’ve always done well nymphing PTs in and around the log jams and pools during the first several weeks within opening.

Haystack Reservoir: The reservoir shows as 100% full and remains a good fishing location. With the longer days and warmer temperatures, bass and warmwater species will start to get active.

Lake Billy Chinook: Reports are that kokanee are scattered through the lake, but diligently studying a fish finder and searching by trolling will get anglers to the fish.

Crooked River: I am hearing of some good caddis activity on the Crooked. When the afternoon hatches are not coming off, use Sparkle Pupas, Puparazzi and Micro Mayflies, Zebra midges and Split Case nymphs.

The Guides Forecast
Weather Outlook Across Central and Eastern Oregon

The weekend weather forecast calls for fair skies with temperatures in the 70s and 80s throughout the region. Possible scattered thunderstorms around the high lakes on Sunday.

All of eastern Oregon is looking good for next week, with temperatures in the 70s and 80s throughout Eastern Oregon, with light to only moderate winds forecasted.

Temperatures in the 80s next week. Areas closer to the Cascades have some possibilities of showers.

Lower Deschutes River:
Anglers have been having good times. The river has become a whole lot quieter now that the crazy days of salmon flies have come to an end. Caddis are active on the warm days and becoming the dominant insect anglers should focus on. Look for Yellow Sallies as well.

Fall
River:
Fall River is producing good fishing opportunities, with yellow sallies and PMD activity. Caddis, some green drakes and BWO activity. Expect afternoon hatches of PMDs and caddis. All will be going strong. Fall River
was just stocked with 1,000 trophy trout.

Metolius River: Green Drakes
are going strong on the Metolius. Good hatches are happening all along the Metolius, continuing with a mix of green drakes, PMDs, some BWO and caddis on the river right now, often showing at the same time.

North and South Twin Lakes: South Twin is
fishing well with stripped leeches and balanced leeches under an indicator. Fishing with bait is starting to take a good number of fish now. Damsels are active now, and anglers are having success on spoons and
spinners.

Suttle Lake: Fishing with jigs, suspended lures, and balance leeches together with chironomids are taking fish.
Suttle should start fishing well with the incoming warmer weather.

Reactions: amphibole
The Guides Forecast
Contributor Glenn Zinkus reports

You’ve likely learned pretty early on this week that this weekend will be hot across Central and Eastern Oregon. A dome of high pressure will be centered over the region, pushing the jet stream far, far to the north. There will be extremely high temperatures well into the 100s across the desert regions including the high desert of Central Oregon, the enclaves and campgrounds along the Lower Deschutes, the Gorge, Klamath Country and Southeast Oregon. The high Cascades lakes will see temperatures well into the 90s and as of now, 100 after the weekend. Northeast Oregon does not escape the heat, with temperatures well into the 90s on the weekend and into next week.

Very light winds will be prevalent through much of the region, although these will be moderate later in the weekend in the Columbia Gorge.

Lower Deschutes River: I fished the Lower Deschutes through much of last week. PMDs, PEDs in the evening, and especially caddis are going strong. Stronger than I have seen in some recent years.

Although the salmon fly crowds ended some weeks ago, the Lower Deschutes has been a popular place on the river and in the campgrounds.

I watched another angler doing well with silver spinners one evening, before the trout went on the “bite” and were rising for caddis.

Lake Billy Chinook: Reports of good kokanee fishing in both the Deschutes and Metolius arms. Jigging with gold and silver colors.

Crooked River: Crooked River is best fished now in the mornings and the evenings. There are evening caddis hatches.

When the afternoon hatches are not coming off, use Sparkle Pupas, Puparazzi and Micro Mayflies, Zebra midges,Split Case nymphs and soft hackles.

Metolius River: The always cool Metolius will be one of the better fishing options this weekend and next week. The air temperatures will be hot, but the water temperatures are more constant and in a safe and healthy range for trout.

Expect PMDs (I saw a lot of PMDs last week) and caddis. Caddis will be an evening staple with these warm summer temperatures.

North and South Twin Lakes: Josh at Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop in Lapine (541-241-4284) reports great fishing!

Crescent Lake: Crescent lake will remain very low. The lake is accessible from the boat ramp at the resort, for a $10 fee paid to the resort. We are entering the prime time to catch Mackinaws.

Latest report from Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop are that kokanee fishing is fair to good, and lake trout fishing is good.

Check out Glenn’s detailed report and forecast in this week’s paid version for Chinook and Steelhead Members both!

The Guides Forecast

The Klamath area remains hot, with temperatures well into the 90s. Coupled with extreme drought, the trout in rivers and streams are under some real stress. It is likely best to leave this area alone until the temperature moderates.

Special Announcement For July 1: ODFW is instituting “Hoot Owl” regulations:

Effective July 1 through September 30, all angling for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and trout is closed from 2:00 p.m. to one hour before sunrise in the lower Deschutes River from the mouth at the Interstate 84 Bridge upstream to Sherars Falls.

Effective July 1 through September 30, all angling for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and trout is closed from 2:00 p.m. to one hour before sunrise in the entire John Day River and all tributaries, for the Umatilla River and all tributaries (but not the river within the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation lands)

Lower Deschutes River: The Lower Deschutes is a heat magnet. Temperatures have been well into the 100s since last week.

The Lower Deschutes from the mouth to Sherars Falls are now under “Hoot Owl” regulated hours. Anglers should voluntarily abide by these regulations upstream of Sherars Falls to protect these wild fish.

Middle Deschutes River: The Middle Deschutes is fishing best in the mornings.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes has been fishing well, any type of attractor dry fly pattern will likely raise trout.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes has been fishing well, any type of attractor dry fly pattern will likely raise trout.

Haystack Reservoir: Josh at Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop in Lapine reports fair to good fishing for trout – rainbows and browns. Bass fishing is excellent and with these temperatures, is the best species to target.

Lake Billy Chinook: Reports of good kokanee fishing in both the Deschutes and Metolius arms. Jigging with gold and silver colors.

Crooked River: Crooked River is best fished now in the mornings only, if you must fish it. The Crooked is coming out of the dam at 45 F and heating to 73 F at Smith Rocks. That said, there are evening caddis hatches.

Fall River: Spring fed Fall River will be a good weekend option, amongst the ponderosas and cool water. Holiday weekend crowds should be expected, and this will be a popular location.

Metolius River: The always cool Metolius will be one of the better fishing options this weekend and next week. The air temperatures will be hot, but the water temperatures are more constant and in a safe and healthy range for trout.

North Central Oregon/Mid-Columbia Waters:

We have a report this week from Gorge Outfitters Supply (541-739-2222) in Rufus, between the John Day and Deschutes Rivers. Fishing is as hot as the weather.

Bass fishing is very good. Lots of bass action on Rapalas, Rat-L-Traps and chatterbaits. Water temperature is 67oF at the surface.

Walleye fishing is good. Worm harnesses have been effective. All colors are working, but more fish are taken now on darker colors with some silver and/or gold. Walleyes this past week have been taken in depths of 15 to 20 feet.

Catch and release for sturgeon off the bank continues to be great.

Shad fishing from shore and from boats has been very good.

More fishing reports here - https://wp.me/p6Jd7i-10lu

The Guides Forecast

After a very brief respite, temperatures climb again for the weekend with forecast highs at or near records into the 90s and even the triple digits in a few locations such as the Lower Deschutes canyon and eastern parts of the Columbia Gorge. The Gorge will also have weekend winds!

Lower Deschutes River: The Lower Deschutes continues to be hot. Warm Springs and Maupin area weather will reach the lower 100s going into this weekend. If you must fish the Lower Deschutes, then go up high in the river towards Mecca Flats. The temperatures in this zone are lower. Temperatures have risen in this stretch as PGE again changed the blend of topwater and bottom water coming out of the reservoir – with temperature in and around 60° F.

The Rattlesnake fire started on the Warm Springs reservation last week and jumped the river. Although now it is well contained, at 90% or better containment, it did burn through the South Junction Campground. Be careful if you are on the Lower Deschutes.

The Middle Deschutes is fishing best in the early mornings. Caddis, purple haze, humpies all are working. With the forecasted temperatures this weekend, this water is likely to become warmer. Nymph with Perdigons, Micro Mayflies and Copper Johns when the hatches are not coming off.

Crooked River is best fished now in the mornings only, if you must fish it. The Crooked is coming out of the dam at 45 F and heating to 73° F at Smith Rocks. That said, there are evening caddis hatches.

Spring fed Fall River will be a good weekend option, amongst the ponderosas and cool water. Nymphing has been most effective; try small 2-bit hookers, perdigons, zebra nymphs.

Like many area waters, early morning and the evenings will be best for fishing, especially this weekend.

Williamson Trib Rainbow from this week’s Eastern Oregon fishing report

More on our site - https://www.theguidesforecast.com/free-oregon-fishing-reports/

The Guides Forecast
Contributor Glenn Zinkus reports: Temperatures have “cooled” to more normal 80s and 90s through much of the region for this weekend and going into next week. There will be a smoke haze at times from wildfires. Winds will be light to moderate. Saturday and Sunday will the highest winds in the 13 to 15 mph range in Central Oregon, 16 to 18 mph in the Deschutes Canyon and higher in the Gorge at 20 mph +.

Lower Deschutes River: Hot temperatures continued on the Lower Deschutes over the past week. That said, looks like PGE has changed the blend coming out of the dams to increase the amount of cooler bottom water over the past few days:

Really, best to keep the fishing to early hours when the water is coolest and when the fish will be most active. Stay up in the higher stretches of the river, best from Warm Springs to Trout Creek.

Parts of the Middle Deschutes are inaccessible due to the Grandview Fire, and best to avoid as it is in the middle of areas that are under Level 1 evacuations or bordering these areas.

Lake Billy Chinook: Reports of good kokanee fishing in both the Deschutes and Metolius arms.

Crooked River is best fished now in the mornings only, if you must fish it. Previously, I reported the Crooked is coming out of the dam at 45 F and heating to 73 F at Smith Rocks.

Fall River: Spring fed Fall River continues to be one of the better trout refuges with towering ponderosas providing shade and constant, cool water.

Metolius River: The Metolius is clean and cold, so this is a good option for July in what has been a hot summer thus far. Reports from Jeff Perin at The Flyfishers Place in Sisters are that hatches have pushed to later in the day and spinner falls at dusk.

Check out Glenn’s detailed report and forecast in this week’s paid version for Chinook and Steelhead Members both!

Eastern Oregon Fishing Report – Contributor Glenn Zinkus reports:

The Bootleg fire and its smoke is impacting much of the area.

Wallowa Lake: Wallowa is fishing well for trout, with recent stockings of legal and trophy sized trout. Recent reports are that the kokanee bit is picking up.

Grande Ronde River: Report from Rob at the Joseph Fly Shoppe are that there are active stone flies on the lower portion. Good Bass fishing below Troy. The river has dropped to a nice level.

Lostine River: Rob at The Joseph Fly Shop reports that Lostine River is a good option, perhaps the best river option in the Northeast at the moment for trout.

Get more fishing information on our site The Guide's Forecast

The Guides Forecast

Lower Deschutes River:

The river temperatures changed again, and this time not for the better of all of the salmonids in the river, as the temperature went up over the past week. This is not a total surprise as I was told that PGE dropped the temperatures last week because of some ongoing maintenance activity. Temperatures near the mouth are in the low 70s during the afternoons, much to warm for fishing for salmonids. Nearer to the dam the temperatures are 58 to 59 degrees.

Middle Deschutes River: The Grandview fire, thankfully, is under control and more of the Middle Deschutes is accessible.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes has been fishing well, with nymphing being the primary method now.

Crooked River: Crooked River is best fished now in the mornings only, if you must fish it.

Fall River: Spring fed Fall River continues to be one of the better trout refuges with towering ponderosas providing shade and constant, cool water. This is a popular summer weekend location. Jeff Perin at The Fly Fishers Place in Sisters reports some recent good dry fly fishing with good caddis and PMD hatches.

Hosmer: If fishing Hosmer, stay in the Upper Lake and channel. The lower lake will be too warm.

North and South Twin Lakes: Josh at Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop in Lapine reports great fishing! North and South Twin have been recently stocked with trophy rainbows. Crane Prairie Reservoir: Bass fishing is still good, but slowed down from the red hot reports of recent weeks.

Wickiup Reservoir: Reports from Tim’s Fly Fishin Tackle shop are that Wickiup is slow for kokanee, but brown trout and rainbow trout fishing is good.

East Lake: Trout fishing is good from all reports from the fly shops and Tim’s in Lapine. Fishing from browns has been the standout.

More on our site - https://www.theguidesforecast.com/fishing-reports/

The Guides Forecast

As a reminder, ODFW established “Hoot Owl” regulations limiting fishing hours on these waters:

Effective July 1 through September 30, all angling for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and trout is closed from 2:00 p.m. to one hour before sunrise in the lower Deschutes River from the mouth at the Interstate 84 Bridge upstream to Sherars Falls.

Effective July 1 through September 30, all angling for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and trout is closed from 2:00 p.m. to one hour before sunrise in the entire John Day River and all tributaries, for the Umatilla River and all tributaries (but not the river within the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation lands)

Fall River: Spring fed Fall River continues to be one of the better trout refuges with towering ponderosas providing shade and constant, cool water. This is a popular summer weekend location. Jeff Perin at The Fly Fishers Place in Sisters reports some recent good dry fly fishing with good caddis and PMD hatches.

Lower Deschutes River:

River temperatures and the mix of water from Pelton dam remained steady through the week.

Temperatures near the mouth are in the low 70s during the afternoons and evenings, much to warm for fishing for salmonids. Low water temperatures near the mouth are lowest in the early morning in the mid 60s.

The Lower Deschutes from the mouth to Sherars Falls are now under “Hoot Owl” regulated hours. Anglers should voluntarily abide by these regulations upstream of Sherars Falls to protect these wild fish.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes has been fishing well, with nymphing being the primary method now. Lake Billy Chinook: Reports of good kokanee fishing in both the Deschutes and Metolius arms. Jigging with gold and silver colors.

North and South Twin Lakes: Josh at Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop in Lapine reports great fishing! North and South Twin have been recently stocked with trophy rainbows.

Devils Lake, Cascade Lakes Highway: Devils Lake is scheduled to be stocked with more than 1300 legal size trout this coming week.

Crescent Lake: Crescent Lake will remain very low. Latest report from Cody Herman, at Day One Outdoors (Day One Outdoors), is that Crescent gets lower and the fishing is slowing down. It is getting harder to launch a boat at Crescent.

Always more on our site.

The Guides Forecast

Lower Deschutes Below Warm Springs
Odell Still Stands Out – Produces Macks and Kokes. Lower Deschutes Trout From Warm Springs to Trout Creek

Moderating temperatures starting today and going through the weekend. Warmup mid-next week. Temperatures through Central Oregon in the 70s and 80s depending upon the local.

There is currently some smoke haze through much of Central Oregon.

The Cascade Lakes Highway area will have temperatures in the 70s and 80s with light winds on the weekend, and picking up next week.

The Lower Deschutes canyon will see highs around 90 on Saturday, sharply cooling into the 70s for Sunday. Calm winds on the weekend and into next week are expected.

The central Oregon Columbia Gorge will be cloudy and in the 80s going into the weekend. West winds of 11 mph expected on Friday, west winds 15-20 mph on the weekend.

Lower Deschutes River:
River temperatures and the mix of water from Pelton dam remained steady through the week.

Temperatures near the mouth are in the low 70s during the afternoons and evenings, much too warm for fishing for salmonids. Low water temperatures near the mouth are lowest in the early morning in the mid 60s – almost always lowering to 66 degrees. Nearer to the dam the temperatures are 56 to 58 degrees.

The Lower Deschutes from the mouth to Sherars Falls remain under “Hoot Owl” regulated hours. Anglers should voluntarily abide by these regulations upstream of Sherars Falls to protect these wild fish.
Middle Deschutes River: Jeff Perin at The Flyfisher’s Place in Sisters reports on early morning action on the Middle Deschutes, with hatches including PMD, PED, Caddis, and Yellow Sallies.

This is a great place for Euronymphing with Frenchies and Perdigons right now.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes has been fishing well, with nymphing being the primary method now. Brook trout are being caught on Perdigons, Frenchies, Jig Style PTs.

Josh Pardee at Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop reports hot fishing for brown trout, with #9,#11 and #13 silver Rapalas being the hot lures.

Mosquitoes are subsiding, at least during the daytime.

Haystack Reservoir: Bass fishing is excellent and with these temperatures, is the best species to target. Haystack remains good for bass in August.

Crooked River: Crooked River is best fished now in the mornings only, if you must fish it. Fishing up near the dams is best.

Ochoco Reservoir: Good fishing for bass and crappie. Water levels, however, are getting very low at 12% full.
Paulina Lake: Paulina remains one of the Central Oregon hotspots – although the water is cool and deep which is why Paulina is good.

Get this report on Thursday nights in your inbox by signing up here.

The Guides Forecast

Spring Creeks For The Hot Weather – Metolius Fishing Well. Paulina and Odell Continue to Produce.

We are in the middle of another heat wave, with temperatures in the high 90s and 100s through the region, and a heat advisory through Saturday at 8PM. There is on and off smoke haze in the Cascades and High Desert.

The Central Oregon area will have high temperatures in the upper 90s on Friday and Saturday, 90 on Sunday, and moderating to the low 80s for much of next week.

As a reminder, ODFW established “Hoot Owl” regulations limiting fishing hours on these waters:

Temperatures near the mouth are peaking at about 70 degrees during the afternoons and evenings, much to warm for fishing for salmonids. Low water temperatures near the mouth are lowest in the early morning in the mid 60s – almost always lowering to 66 degrees. Nearer to the dam the temperatures are 56 to 58 degrees and have been steady in this range for two weeks.

The Deschutes in the area from Warm Springs to Trout Creek continues fishing surprisingly well this week. First half of the day up to mid-day, and the evenings have been good on caddis, PMDs and PEDs. Perdigon nymphs are a hot nymph this week.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes has been fishing well.

Haystack Reservoir: Fill level is 47 %. Bass fishing is excellent and with these temperatures, is the best species to target.

Crooked River: Crooked River is best fished now in the mornings only, if you must fish it. Fishing up near the dams is best.

Fall River has been stocked with 1000 trophy trout this week. Reports from The Flyfishers Place is that the hatches have been slower.

Metolius River: The spring-fed Metolius remains a solid summer angling option – one of the best because of the constant, cool water.

North and South Twin Lakes: Josh at Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop in Lapine reports great fishing! North and South Twin have been recently stocked with trophy rainbows.

Devils Lake, Cascade Lakes Highway: Devils Lake has been stocked in late July with more than 1300 legal size trout. Leech patterns for fly anglers; spinners and spoons for conventional gear should all produce trout.
Suttle Lake: Fishing for kokanees is good right now. Good place to fish in August. Pink and orange jigs near the bottom are the ticket.

Crescent Lake: Crescent Lake will remain very low. Latest report from Cody Herman, at Day One Outdoors (Day One Outdoors), is that Crescent gets lower and the fishing is downright slow.

Prineville Reservoir: Josh Pardee for Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop in Lapine reports ridiculously good fishing for Crappie in Prineville Reservoir. The reservoir is at 31 % full as of today.

Crane Prairie Reservoir: Bass fishing is still good but slowed down from the red-hot reports of recent weeks.

Odell Lake: Odell remains a constant for kokanee and Mackinaw fishing with good reports all around. There is on and off smoke from the fires near Oakridge, depending upon the winds. It changes constantly right now.

The Guide's Forecast's full report this week

Fishsizzle
This years fish at Odell are fat and taste great. 14”+ in size. Plenty of Kokes, massive schools just about anywhere on the north side.

The Guides Forecast

Central Oregon Fishing Reports​

There’s been a nice cooling period during the week through Central Oregon, although there is on and off smoke haze in the Cascades and High Desert.

The Central Oregon area will have high temperatures in the 70s and 80s through most of the region.  High country will be a little cooler, 60s during the day and 30s at night.  Hike in lakes are starting to look good.

The Cascade Lakes Highway area will have temperatures of around 70 through Saturday, mid 70s to start the week, and 80s by midweek.  Moderate winds on Friday and Saturday, light winds in the forecast most days.

The Lower Deschutes canyon will see highs in the high 70s and low 80s through the weekend, hitting 90 again midweek next week. Afternoon winds of 10 – 15 mph through the weekend, and 8 – 9 mph next week.

The Columbia River Gorge area will have temperatures in the mid to high 70s through the weekend, climbing to 90 next week.

As a reminder, ODFW established “Hoot Owl” regulations limiting fishing hours on these waters

Effective July 1 through September 30, all angling for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and trout is closed from 2:00 p.m. to one hour before sunrise in the entire John Day River and all tributaries, for the Umatilla River and all tributaries (but not the river within the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation lands)

Lower Deschutes River

Hoot Owl Restrictions remain lifted. Water temperatures are starting to drop with the more moderate temperatures of the last several days, and releases from the dam may be up to 2 degrees F cooler, and are currently around 55 degrees.

Temperatures near the mouth are peaking at about 66 degrees during the afternoons and evenings, and 62 degrees during the early mornings.

There are nothing but good reports on the trout fishing from Warm Springs to Trout Creek. Every angler and shop I know have been reporting good fishing.

Middle Deschutes River: Hatches of PMDs, PEDs, and caddis are happening.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes has been fishing well, with nymphing being the primary method now. Brook trout are being caught on Perdigons, Frenchies, Jig Style PTs.

Crooked River flows have increased to about 200 CFS at the dam recently and still at 200 CFS as of August 19.

Fall River has been stocked with 1000 trophy trout earlier in the month. Reports from The Flyfishers Place is that the hatches have been slower. That said, trout are going for micro leeches and midge nymphs. The guys at Fly & Field report the same thing – inconsistent hatches.

Prineville Reservoir: Josh Pardee for Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop in Lapine reports ridiculously good fishing for Crappie in Prineville Reservoir. The reservoir is at 30 % full as of today.

Odell remains a constant for kokanee and Mackinaw fishing with good reports all around. There is on and off smoke from the fires near Oakridge, depending upon the winds. It changes constantly right now.

Check out Glenn’s detailed report with much more information and forecast in this week’s paid version for Chinook and Steelhead Members both!

Get this report and more on Thursday nights in your inbox by signing up here.

The Guides Forecast
Central Oregon Fishing Reports – Contributor Glenn Zinkus reports:

Lower Deschutes Redside Fishing Reports
Lower Deschutes River:

Water temperatures are starting to drop with the more moderate temperatures of the last several days, and releases from the dam are now consistent from 53.5 to 55.5 degrees over the past week.

There are great trout fishing reports from Warm Springs to Trout Creek. Every angler and shop I know have been reporting good fishing. Dry-dropper combos with caddis and craneflies are hot.

Middle Deschutes River: No current reports.

Upper Deschutes River: The upper Deschutes has been fishing well. PMDs, Yellow Sallies and some caddis are present. Brook trout are being caught on Perdigons, Frenchies, Jig Style PTs.

Josh Pardee at Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop reports hot fishing for brown trout, with #9,#11 and #13 silver Rapalas being the hot lures.

Haystack Reservoir: Fill level is 31 %. Bass fishing is excellent. Haystack remains good for bass in August. Water temps are dropping.

Metolius River: The spring-fed Metolius remains a solid summer angling option – one of the best because of the constant, cool water.

PMDs have been the main daytime hatch, and are all over the river. There are regular evening spinner falls. I still see golden stones on the upper river. Jeff Perin recommends Woods and Clarks Stones.

More information and weekly reports are available from our website, https://www.TheGuidesForecast.com/

The Guides Forecast

There’s been a nice cooling period during the week through Central Oregon, although there is on and off smoke haze in the Cascades and High Desert.

The Central Oregon area will have high temperatures in the 70s and 80s through most of the region.  High country will be a little cooler, 60s during the day and 30s at night.  Hike in lakes are starting to look good.

The Cascade Lakes Highway area will have temperatures of around 70 through Saturday, mid 70s to start the week, and 80s by midweek.  Moderate winds on Friday and Saturday, light winds in the forecast most days.

The Lower Deschutes canyon will see highs in the high 70s and low 80s through the weekend, hitting 90 again midweek next week. Afternoon winds of 10 – 15 mph through the weekend, and 8 – 9 mph next week.

The Columbia River Gorge area will have temperatures in the mid to high 70s through the weekend, climbing to 90 next week.

As a reminder, ODFW established “Hoot Owl” regulations limiting fishing hours on these waters

Effective July 1 through September 30, all angling for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and trout is closed from 2:00 p.m. to one hour before sunrise in the entire John Day River and all tributaries, for the Umatilla River and all tributaries (but not the river within the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation lands)

Lower Deschutes River

Hoot Owl Restrictions remain lifted. Water temperatures are starting to drop with the more moderate temperatures of the last several days, and releases from the dam may be up to 2 degrees F cooler, and are currently around 55 degrees.

Temperatures near the mouth are peaking at about 66 degrees during the afternoons and evenings, and 62 degrees during the early mornings.

There are nothing but good reports on the trout fishing from Warm Springs to Trout Creek. Every angler and shop I know have been reporting good fishing.

Middle Deschutes River: Hatches of PMDs, PEDs, and caddis are happening.

Crooked River flows have increased to about 200 CFS at the dam recently and still at 200 CFS as of August 19.

Fall River has been stocked with 1000 trophy trout earlier in the month. Reports from The Flyfishers Place is that the hatches have been slower. That said, trout are going for micro leeches and midge nymphs. The guys at Fly & Field report the same thing – inconsistent hatches.

Prineville Reservoir: Josh Pardee for Tim’s Fishin Tackle Shop in Lapine reports ridiculously good fishing for Crappie in Prineville Reservoir. The reservoir is at 30 % full as of today.

Odell remains a constant for kokanee and Mackinaw fishing with good reports all around. There is on and off smoke from the fires near Oakridge, depending upon the winds. It changes constantly right now.

Check out Glenn’s detailed report with much more information and forecast in this week’s paid version for Chinook and Steelhead Members both!

Get this report and a summary for all of Oregon on Thursday nights in your inbox by signing up here.

00Swede
Before anybody packs up and heads to Prineville Reservoir because of this post, some things you should know. I just spent Monday through Friday at the State Park Campground. I had a great time but the Crappie fishing is not "ridiculously good" as stated in this report.
First off, all boat ramps are closed, big time. You get anywhere near the edge of the reservoir with a boat trailer or just a truck and it is going to be a very bad day for you.

Even dragging a kayak down to launch, as I did everyday, is a daunting task. There is knee deep mud on the shoreline before you get to the water. When getting back out there is nowhere to wash the sticky mud off. I saw several people pull in with yaks and canoes and turn around and leave. Also families with kids heading down with float tubes from the campground, turning back to the campground.

I was the only one on the water fishing with any kind of craft, that I could see and I could see from Social Security Beach (down by the old resort) to the County boat ramp. That was Monday through Friday morning.

There were a few trying from the bank around the campground area that I could see and talked to several. Bank fishing was dismal.
I was catching enough crappie to keep me happy from the kayak. Usually 5 to 10 a morning and 15 one morning. They were good size crappie.

So, "good trip", yes...."Ridiculously good fishing"..... nope.

Top Bottom