Central Coast Lakes

T
Timber
I'll give this a shot. Has anyone ever fished on any of the central coast dune lakes? If so, what kind of fish are caught - not just trout but perch, crappie, bass, etc.? Does Carter Lake of Elbow Lake stir anybody up? Elbow has always looked inviting, but I've never given it a try. How about access as I know they all can be brushy from shore and how about launching a cartopper?

A
Anyfishisfine
Timber said:
I'll give this a shot. Has anyone ever fished on any of the central coast dune lakes? If so, what kind of fish are caught - not just trout but perch, crappie, bass, etc.? Does Carter Lake of Elbow Lake stir anybody up? Elbow has always looked inviting, but I've never given it a try. How about access as I know they all can be brushy from shore and how about launching a cartopper?

When I made a map of stocked places, I was amazed at how many of those ponds are stocked with massive amounts of fish.

Check it out
Northwest Region - North Coast Watershed District - Google Maps

Here are the other maps if you are interested:
Willamette Region - North Willamette Watershed District - Google Maps

Willamette Region - South Willamette Watershed District - Google Maps

Reactions: Raincatcher
A
A_J-Llama
Elbow and Carter

Elbow and Carter

According to "Fishing in Oregon" , Carter is stocked with rainbows and occasional brood trout to 12#'s, very brushy shoreline and has a boat ramp, parking and picnic facilities on the west side of lake. Elbow is a 13-acre lake, pull off the highway and park along the south shore where you can launch light-weight boats and float tubes. Fish for rainbow trout and largemouth bass along the brushy shoreline and downed trees, with best bank access along the highway.

B
beaverfan
A
Anyfishisfine
beaverfan said:
Holy cow man great maps! Thanks a lot those are awesome!

No problem, enjoy :)

B
brysageek
Tahkenitch

Tahkenitch

Yeah I have fished Carter, Elbow, Loon Lake, and the my favorite so far tahkenitch. Rainbows are the dominant fish within Carter, Elbow and Loon,
I am mainly going for LMBass when I end up catching them, frustrating at times, I have even managed to catch a Yellow Perch out of Elbow, quite funny actually when my lure fell in the water and went to get my pull to find a fish on!!! not to big but a fish alright!! I Have also caught Perch within Tahk'y, great LMBass fishin there, I would suggest a quick in-and-out boat trolling for the rainbows in ALL the lakes is quite promising especially with a Luhr-Jenson Kokanee Lake troller and wedding ring, I find that the same setup up with a rooster tail is almost cheating!! I am going to try to go to a different lake every weekend and have been kinda of doing the same as anyfishisfine is doing yet with ArcGIS Explorer, there is plenty of lakes and plenty of species every lake is a different attack and different experience all while being sooooo close!!!

B
brysageek
PS on Elbow

PS on Elbow

Watcth that back corner of the lake the farthest southwest corner plenty of log jams and weeds but with the right tackle you can slay the Rainbows in here, still no bass out of it though :(

B
brysageek
dadn' for the SMBass

dadn' for the SMBass

Going to put in at Jacks Landing and Pull out of Family camp (Lower Umpqua):dance: tomorrow,going for the SMBass with some salted' Dad's let ya all know how the bite is!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Love the enthusiasm

Love the enthusiasm

brysageek said:
Going to put in at Jacks Landing and Pull out of Family camp (Lower Umpqua):dance: tomorrow,going for the SMBass with some salted' Dad's let ya all know how the bite is!

brysageek;
I certainly hope the fish you encounter are as enthusiastic as you are! :dance: I have enjoyed your posts and look forward to your report. I love fishing in your area! There are so many lakes to choose from that I used to spin in a circle just trying to decide. :lol: Don't forget how much we crave pictures...;)
Be safe.
Barb

B
brysageek
Lower Umpqua SMBass

Lower Umpqua SMBass

WOW that was almost ridiculous, I haven't caught that many fish in two days since I was livewelling!!! Great little run as well the bite picked up on Fri and almost seemed to die down with the heat rising. Sat it picked up as the heat rose,tricky to read those little guys!! Threw everything we had at them and we came to a conclusion that the Plastic Salted worms were the best, Watermelon spackle with green bodies, it got to the point were it was almost getting boring realing up fish!!!... I didn't mean that... anyway, they would hit anything from a plastic worm , rooster tail, spoons, boo yah!'s .....except the salted dad's were not as promising as I had first thought....... hmmmmm the biggest one I caught was 13' hen! she was a beauty didn't get a pic of her though but I do have one to offer, also heads up for the trip from Scott's landing through Family Camp a lot of still water and not much for structure from low water crossing to Sawyers rapids.... also for you drifters heads up for when going down Sawyers rapid couple of hidden rocks could make a bad day!!!! I would scope it out from the bank at first go!!...... wish I would have anyhow!!:shock: I would guess that we had probably caught about 30 plus a day (all catch and release )

Last edited by a moderator:
B
brysageek
Back to tahk'y WoW

Back to tahk'y WoW

:D..... well I must say that the bite is off in the Mallard Arm of Tahky' I think it was the fire that we had to fight there maybe... the Helicopter scared them away... hmmm anyway nothing to bragg about Tahky, I heard that Siltcoos is ON the Lions Club had a tourny not too long ago and pretty large LMBass was taken Saw the picture but did not get a size :( .......... Also the Salmon have been getting on at Bouy 17 in Gardiner I think I may go Wed morning will try to report..... I think the locals may k*ll me for reporting that ..... Well if asked you heard it from ken!!LOL also it's almost time to start off down to the Lower Rogue as well!!

J
jameshenrique123
I have fished at Elbow and Loon lake . I think Loon is the best bet for fishing. The fishing was quite slow but had good luck with five fishes. I really enjoyed fishing and wish to have my next trip there only.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I fished Loon Lake last summer and caught a lot of fish. I didn't catch or even target trout though. I used worms and hooked a lot of blue gill, some bass, one pretty big crappie, and in the evening and at night I caught a ton of catfish. I also fished the lake inside Honeyman camp ground, can't remember it's name though and didn't hook a thing