Centerpin action

C
Chedster
I finally picked up a centerpin over the summer and finally got to put it to use last week. I went out in search of summer steelhead but had a couple bycatches as well. I hooked a few fish and had to land them in a difficult spot at the bottom of a small canyon. First fish was a small summer steelhead that turned out to be a native and was quickly released. I had left my camera up the side of the canyon so no pictures of him. Shortly after releasing the steelhead, I hooked into something big that put the centerpin and myself to the test. Having no drag besides my hand was confusing at first but I started using just my thumb for drag tension and quickly gained on the fish after he nearly spooled me! I got him to the surface before he dove back down to the bottom and I had no way to move him. I ended up breaking him off trying to pull him up. Twenty minutes later I hooked up again and was able to land this guy and get him released. Ended going 2 for 3, not a bad day for breaking in the centerpin. I am really looking forward to winter steelheading with the pin. It is truly a fun and exciting way to fish, not to mention the perfect drifts you get! I'll be heading out again on Thursday so I'll post a report if I get anything. I'll throw in pic of the centerpin for those who don't know what a centerpin is.

H
halibuthitman
sweet... the hardest thing for an expirence succesful steelheader to do is... evolve ( love the reel, is it on a true bobber rod? )

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice little chinook. So I have to ask what is a center pin and how does it fair compared to a standard fly reel? And whats the difference.

C
Chedster
A centerpin is essentially a spool that rotates about a pin via bearings. It is made to float fish as you can achieve long, drag free drifts. There is also no drag, you must use your hand to brake the spool when a fish runs. It really only looks similar to a fly reel, fishing technique is different and casting it is a pain in the butt until you get the hang of it

G
Growbug
Man I have not touched a center pin reel in 20 years. Used to be a great reel for the gravel pits on Northern England, coz it can cast sooo far, especially if matched to a 13ft + float rod!!
Chedster, are you giving that reel a little spin as you cast?

C
Chedster
Yes I use my thumb to get the spool spinning as I cast and then brake the spool with my thumb as the float hits the water. For this particular river i have been using a 9.5ft lamiglas because there is a lot of brush to cast around.