Caught this in the Columbia someone help me identify it

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Last summer I was sturgeon fishing the Columbia and we were getting really small bites, too small to be a sturgeon. So I placed a little piece of squid on a hook on a trout pole and let it sit on the bottom. Sure enough something bit and this is was it was. What is it?

120728_0000.jpg

T
Tacomasteelheader
some kind of sucker or chub/carp

M
Modest_Man
It's a Northern pikeminnow.

T
Tacomasteelheader
R
Rock10
Squaw fish, or Pike minnow, if you sing up in the morning you can go out fishing for them and receive a bounty for everyone you catch over 9". They also have some that are tagged that are worth a lot more.

troutdude
troutdude
Rock is correct. Here is the Pike Minnow rewards program information.

Note: the season starts on May 1st.

https://www.pikeminnow.org/

G
grampa ron
It is a Pike Minnow. Do not confuse it with a Northern Pike. They are not the same at all.

M
Modest_Man
grampa ron said:
It is a Pike Minnow. Do not confuse it with a Northern Pike. They are not the same at all.

It's a Northern Pikeminnow...Ptychocheilus oregonensis.

bass
bass
Modest_Man said:
It's a Northern Pikeminnow...Ptychocheilus oregonensis.

Is that related to a chain pickerel.... just kidding :)

M
Marvin's Guide Service
It's a Northern pikeminnow. Go back and catch some in the summer, and you can make money for them,

M
Montana
Didn't know we had these around here!

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Thanks guys for the help. I'm defiantly going to target these things if it means money. Believe it or not I caught a couple more of them in Loon Lake south of Florence on a worm I'll see if I can find a picture

M
Modest_Man
They're only worth money in the Columbia and you have to register each day before fishing for them, and then check in your catches in the evening. They're a native species found throughout the Northwest - the only reason there is a reward program on the Columbia is because humans set up dams which negatively impact Salmonids, while positively impacting Northern pikeminnow.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Ahhh 10-4 well thanks for the info

W
Willieman
And I hope you killed that one! They are voracious eaters of young salmonoids.

O
OnTheFly
Marvin's Guide Service said:
It's a Northern pikeminnow. Go back and catch some in the summer, and you can make money for them,
That's the truth and the size of that one looks like it would have paid off well!